Help with repeated translation of the same term
Thread poster: Sergio Ortiz Eirín
Sergio Ortiz Eirín
Sergio Ortiz Eirín
Spain
Local time: 06:49
Spanish to English
Oct 24, 2014

I'm just starting out with Trados (Studio 2014), and one of the things I'm finding very frustrating is that when I translate the term for a long government agency in a document, and then come across that same term later in the document, it offers absolutely no suggestions. I have to manually go back and see how I translated and copy and paste the text.
Please tell me that this ridiculously expensive software offers some kind of automated, and hopefully simple, solution to this problem. I h
... See more
I'm just starting out with Trados (Studio 2014), and one of the things I'm finding very frustrating is that when I translate the term for a long government agency in a document, and then come across that same term later in the document, it offers absolutely no suggestions. I have to manually go back and see how I translated and copy and paste the text.
Please tell me that this ridiculously expensive software offers some kind of automated, and hopefully simple, solution to this problem. I have an active TM (my one and only TM so far) and I'm confirming the translation of every segment before moving on to the next.
Thanks!
Collapse

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:49
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Use Multiterm Oct 24, 2014

Hi Sergio,
Use the "Add New Term" option of Multiterm, add your translation and you will get it each time it's part of your source text.

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Concordance Oct 24, 2014

Alternatively, highlight and right click the term in source and select concordance. Then copy and paste from the results window.

Sergio Ortiz Eirín
Sergio Ortiz Eirín
Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm Oct 24, 2014

Thank you both for the answers. I literally just started using Trados Studio 2014 two weeks ago. I've only used Trados, I know that Multiterm is included in the package, but I haven't opened it for anything.
Do I need to have it open separately or can I access it directly from Trados?

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
Quick Start Guide Oct 24, 2014

Sergio Ortiz Eirín wrote:

Thank you both for the answers. I literally just started using Trados Studio 2014 two weeks ago. I've only used Trados, I know that Multiterm is included in the package, but I haven't opened it for anything.
Do I need to have it open separately or can I access it directly from Trados?

You need to read the Quick Start Guide.

It will be extremely difficult for you to learn Multiterm by just asking questions here. Once you get a general foundation on how it works from studying the Guide, then you can ask more specific questions here and get more helpful answers.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2014-10-24 16:23 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:49
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
MultiTerm Oct 24, 2014

You need to create a termbase file first using MultiTerm. Once it's created you can add the termbase to a project and update it as you work, from within the Studio editor window.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Given you have Studio 20014... Oct 24, 2014

... I think there are two applications that are available from the OpenExchange that are well worth investigating.

The first is the Glossary Converter which makes it a simple drag and drop to create termbases from spreadsheets. This takes away the effort of converting to a termbase definition file and multiterm XML, then using these t
... See more
... I think there are two applications that are available from the OpenExchange that are well worth investigating.

The first is the Glossary Converter which makes it a simple drag and drop to create termbases from spreadsheets. This takes away the effort of converting to a termbase definition file and multiterm XML, then using these to create your termbase in MultiTerm.

The second is the Glossary Plugin which allows you to create new termbases in two clicks for your projects, or import spreadsheets of terms as new termbases you can use in your projects in a couple of clicks.

Both of these are free although there is a more capable Glossary Converter Charity Edition (7 euros) that can do many more things.

These tools make it very simple for translators who don't wish to learn the full capability of MultiTerm which is quite powerful and offers a solution for Terminologists with more complex needs. Of course don't let me stop you if you wish to learn more about this tool, but for day to day tasks when translating with a simple glossary then these tools make the process pretty simple.

You can find a video on the Glossary Plugin here to give you some idea and help you get started. When you purchased Studio you also got the platform to support additional tools from the OpenExchange so it's worth a look!

On a final note... we will be releasing Studio 2014 SP2 next month and this, in addition to more things, adds two very significant improvements to working with terminology in Studio alone:

1. The reliance on Java has been removed altogether
2. You can delete terms in addition to editing them from within Studio

So for most translators I believe there is probably no need to open MultiTerm or MultiTerm Convert at all!

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Using Multiterm Oct 24, 2014

Multiterm opens when you open Trados, even if you're not aware of it. To use it, first go to your Trados file in My Documents or Downloads or wherever you saved it. Look for the file called Termbases and within that, Samples, or something like that. I bought 2011 and do not know what was sent with 2014 (I only upgraded). In 2011, there was a sample file called My Printer. I've built on that. Basically, look for something in there that you can use (you could also create one, but I've never bothe... See more
Multiterm opens when you open Trados, even if you're not aware of it. To use it, first go to your Trados file in My Documents or Downloads or wherever you saved it. Look for the file called Termbases and within that, Samples, or something like that. I bought 2011 and do not know what was sent with 2014 (I only upgraded). In 2011, there was a sample file called My Printer. I've built on that. Basically, look for something in there that you can use (you could also create one, but I've never bothered). Then, back in your open Trados file, go to the Project Settings Tab above the translation results window (top left above source text) and click on project settings. Click on Termbases and select the file you've decided to use. That adds it to the project you're working with (in the future, you can do this when opening a project or you can set it as a default for all projects). After that, highlight the term in the source text and your translation in the target text, right click and select Add new term. The Multiterm window will appear with the source term and the translation, and you save it by clicking on the disk icon. After that, the term will appear in the source text with a red line over it and the translation will appear in the termbase results window (top right over the target text); highlight the appropriate part of your target text and insert the translation by right clicking on the term in the termbase results window. I think I've remembered all the steps (I don't have Trados open in front of me at the moment), but I really second Miguel Carmona's advice about reading the quick start guide or even doing a webinar course here on Proz. Trados is a real help once you know how, but it's too complex to be intuitive.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with repeated translation of the same term

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »