Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 08:02
Member (2008)
English
Oct 23, 2014

Hi,

We've recently found an issue during translating where words get incorrectly labeled as a placeable. This becomes an issue as those words are not looked up in the translation memory.

For example, we have a title 'FORM. FUNCTION. REDESIGN' which gets segmented in three parts due to the full stops. The word FORM and the word FUNCTION get a 100% match from our TM. The word REDESIGN becomes a placeable?

We've had this issue several times with other words as
... See more
Hi,

We've recently found an issue during translating where words get incorrectly labeled as a placeable. This becomes an issue as those words are not looked up in the translation memory.

For example, we have a title 'FORM. FUNCTION. REDESIGN' which gets segmented in three parts due to the full stops. The word FORM and the word FUNCTION get a 100% match from our TM. The word REDESIGN becomes a placeable?

We've had this issue several times with other words as well. (e.g FEATURE got labeled as placeable). Does anyone know why Studio behaves like this?

Kind regards,
Geert
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Try Merging the source segments Oct 23, 2014

Hi Geert,

Have you tried merging the three source segments into one, and if you have what happens then.

You could also try writing a parsing rule which does not treat a single word followed by a full stop as a separate segment, be careful as it could have knock on effects.

Ben

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Acronym recognition Oct 23, 2014

Hi,

This is probably because you have got the acronym recognition box checked in your TM settings under Fields & Settings.

I'm surprised they are not all picked up as placeables... they are for me.

Maybe you could add an uppercase exception to your full stop rule in the segmentation rules for your TM. Like this:
... See more
Hi,

This is probably because you have got the acronym recognition box checked in your TM settings under Fields & Settings.

I'm surprised they are not all picked up as placeables... they are for me.

Maybe you could add an uppercase exception to your full stop rule in the segmentation rules for your TM. Like this:

In case you can't read the image very well it's this:

Before break
I left it blank

Break

After break
\s\p{Lu}+

That works for me anyway and I get the three words in capital letters in one segment. But I only tested this single title, so worth testing a little just in case.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 27, 2014

Hi Paul,

thanks for the input, I'll have a look at this and with the info provided I'm sure I can figure something out.
As always, thanks for the support!

Kind regards,
Geert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2014 placeable detection

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »