Mateja Virant
Mateja Virant  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:17
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2014

Hello everybody!

I have a problem with my Translator's Workbench (SDL Trados 2007 Freelance) when working with Word 2010.

When I launch Translator's Workbench at first the massage verifying license... appears and then no specific TM opens. I have to choose one TM and open it (before this problem the last used TM would open when launching Translator's Workbench).
Than everything looks as usual but I am not able to open a segment. None of the TW4Win functions (ex
... See more
Hello everybody!

I have a problem with my Translator's Workbench (SDL Trados 2007 Freelance) when working with Word 2010.

When I launch Translator's Workbench at first the massage verifying license... appears and then no specific TM opens. I have to choose one TM and open it (before this problem the last used TM would open when launching Translator's Workbench).
Than everything looks as usual but I am not able to open a segment. None of the TW4Win functions (except Concordance!) work. No error massages appear, Translator's Workbench shows no reactions when I click on the TW4Win icons.
If I close the Word file and analyze or translate it with Translator's Workbench it works (when I open the Word file I see translated segments in both languages). There is no difference when trying to use it with different types of Word files (.docx/.doc/.rtf).

When using TagEditor there are no problems.

Do you have any idea how I can solve this problem? Please, help.
Thank you in advance!

Mateja
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 20:17
Japanese to English
Macro security permissions? Oct 23, 2014

This is a long shot, but you might check your macro security settings in Word 2010 to make sure they're set to prompt you about enabling macros...All the TW4Win functions are macro-based, so that may be a factor.

Just a guess.

P.S. Does this problem happen with ALL files, or just certain ones? File corruption can also cause problems.

FWIW
MLG4035

Mateja Virant
Germany
German to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Enable all macros active Oct 23, 2014

Hi Michael,

I have checked and the macro security setting is "Enable all macros (not recomended...).
This problem happens with all word files and it really occured over night together with the "verifying license" when launching Translator's Workbench.

Thank you for trying

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:17
French to English
+ ...
Your settings... Oct 23, 2014

I have Word 2010 installed and basically, it should work with Workbench (should I wish to use it).

Here are some answers to your queries:

1. ...then no specific TM opens.
Open Tools/Translation Memory Options and tick the first box Open last used translation memory. This feature is particularly useful when you have several TMs. You can also set fields, such as customer, subject, etc., which is very useful.

2. ...but I am not able to open a segment
... See more
I have Word 2010 installed and basically, it should work with Workbench (should I wish to use it).

Here are some answers to your queries:

1. ...then no specific TM opens.
Open Tools/Translation Memory Options and tick the first box Open last used translation memory. This feature is particularly useful when you have several TMs. You can also set fields, such as customer, subject, etc., which is very useful.

2. ...but I am not able to open a segment...Workbench shows no reactions when I click on the TW4Win icons.

Working with icons is not effective. Have you tried the shortcuts (after selecting your TM)? Alt+Home should work.

Apart from one shortcut Alt-plus (replaced with Alt-Ctr-plus) to continue to the next segment, it should work.

I find Word 2010 much more cumbersome and infinitely less user-friendly than 2003. I run both in parallel, avoiding 2010 as much as possible.

HTH,
Sandra
Collapse

Mateja Virant
Germany
German to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
shortcuts don't work Oct 23, 2014

I am afraid there is no difference at all if I try to use the shortcuts. The only shortcut working is for Concordance.
So it is exactly the same as with the icons. Nothing works.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:17
French to English
+ ...
Workbench template Oct 23, 2014

In this case, I would make sure that the correct (original) Workbench templates are where they are supposed to be.
This would be: c:\Users\[your computer name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

Look for TRADOS8.dot and TRADOS8.dotm, respectively.

Interestingly, I don't seem to have TRADOS8.dotm running at all. The shortcuts I mentioned were therefore tested in 2010 using the TRADOS8.dot template.

HTH,
Sandra

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
English to Czech
+ ...
Workbench template placement Oct 24, 2014

I can share what worked for me, but I’m not sure if it’s any help.
This is with the assumption you have Trados menu activated through the “Developer” option in the customized Ribbon.
Trados8.dotm must be copied in Word startup folder (Trados8.dot should not be there) as well as in Templates in Microsoft in Applications - Roaming.
In the Start menu, locate subfolder Trados (usually under SDL International > SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, and click on Register SDL Trados 2007
... See more
I can share what worked for me, but I’m not sure if it’s any help.
This is with the assumption you have Trados menu activated through the “Developer” option in the customized Ribbon.
Trados8.dotm must be copied in Word startup folder (Trados8.dot should not be there) as well as in Templates in Microsoft in Applications - Roaming.
In the Start menu, locate subfolder Trados (usually under SDL International > SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, and click on Register SDL Trados 2007.
After restarting the computer, it usually works.
Collapse

Mateja Virant
Germany
German to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Nov 4, 2014

I followed Anna's advice.
I deleted Trados8.dot from the Word startup folder and copied Trados8.dotm in it. Now I have the customized Trados ribbon and everything works perfectly.

Thank you very much, for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Workbench problems with Word 2010

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »