how to use xml and txt files as a translation memory
Thread poster: usercloud
usercloud
usercloud
Belgium
Oct 21, 2014

Hello!

Can you tell me what to do in order to use xml and txt files as a TM. I suppose I have to convert them but I am not quite sure how should be done.

Thanks!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:16
English
Interesting question... Oct 21, 2014

Hi,

Translation Memories are at least bilingual. If you have XML files and TXT files then perhaps you can provide a little more context around this question? So for example:

1. the files contain a source language text and a target language text already, I just want to use these as a TM.
  2. I have source files and separate target files, so I want to align them to create a TM.

1. the files contain a source language text and a target language text already, I just want to use these as a TM.
    2. I have source files and separate target files, so I want to align them to create a TM.
    3. I have source language files and need to translate them and add the translation to a TM.
    4. I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2014... or some other tool.

There may be other possibilities, but a little more information from you would help us provide a better answer.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-10-21 15:16 GMT] ▲ Collapse

Victor Westmann (X)
Victor Westmann (X)
Brazil
Local time: 12:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How to create TMs from txt and xml files Oct 21, 2014

Hi there fellow,

how do you do?

I checked for some answers for you and it seems that this link is from SDL Trados Product Support: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/UpgradeTM/Upgrading_Translation_Memories.htm
... See more
Hi there fellow,

how do you do?

I checked for some answers for you and it seems that this link is from SDL Trados Product Support: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/UpgradeTM/Upgrading_Translation_Memories.htm

In it they state that the process to use a txt file could be found on the "SDL Trados Studio 2009 Migration Guide". Which I found it here: http://www.uco.es/~lr1maalm/Trados2009MigrationGuide.pdf

However please note that the version cited above is the 2009 version. Probabably some commands or menus might have change name/position in newer software versions.

Here is another link that might guide you through the process of using txt files as translation memory sources for your work/project: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3194/1/Converting-translation-memories-into-spreadsheets-and-vice-versa (a good article from Proz actually).

I'm still searching for the xml feature but all the videos and documentation I found was not all that usefull. Will continue to search for a solution for you.

Cheers. Hope it helps!
Collapse

usercloud
usercloud
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Victor! Oct 21, 2014

TMX Maker did a great job. Really simple and easy to use tool.

SDL Support, the xml files contain both the source and the target languages. I don't have to translate anything. I just need to import them as a TM file into Trados 2014.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:16
English
If you just have to import it.... Oct 21, 2014

... do you mean that it's a TMX? If so just make sure the extension is TMX (have not tried to import it with an XML extension) and then switch to your Translation Memories View in Studio, select your Studio Translation Memory and then right-click and import.

Incidentally, now that we know the TXT you referred to was a Trados/Wordfast TXT TM, you might have been able to use the upgrade option in Studio to convert that to a Studio TM as well.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to use xml and txt files as a translation memory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »