Trados 2011 - Global command for removing all hyperlink tags in target?
Thread poster: Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:23
Oct 19, 2014

I cannot see anything in SDL Trados 2001 online help which would enable me to remove all hyperlink tags from the document at once.

I have to translate the words in the hyperlink and remove the tags.

Of course, I could remove all 700/800 of them individually, but I do not want to yet, for two reasons:
1. It will be very time-consuming
2. While working on the translation, I want to be able to see the hyperlinks easily, and differentiate between hyperlink text
... See more
I cannot see anything in SDL Trados 2001 online help which would enable me to remove all hyperlink tags from the document at once.

I have to translate the words in the hyperlink and remove the tags.

Of course, I could remove all 700/800 of them individually, but I do not want to yet, for two reasons:
1. It will be very time-consuming
2. While working on the translation, I want to be able to see the hyperlinks easily, and differentiate between hyperlink text and surrounding normal text easily. I am confirming segments as I go along, so as to gain some leverage from repetition. I only want to remove the hyperlink tags (per the client's request) once I have completed the translation and, obviously, checked my translation of each hyperlink.
I realise that I shall have to re-confirm segments after removing the tags, but that will be easier than picking my way through 10,000 words, removing each hyperlink tag.

Your suggestions would be more than welcome!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:23
English
Maybe worth reviewing this article... Oct 19, 2014

... as the ability to extract hyperlinks for translation, or not, is in your control when you prepare the file : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-vE

If you were to remove the tags then the target document would probably not work as intended anymore which would not be too helpful for your client.

Another option is to use the display filter to select all the segments that are just hyperlinks, copy sou
... See more
... as the ability to extract hyperlinks for translation, or not, is in your control when you prepare the file : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-vE

If you were to remove the tags then the target document would probably not work as intended anymore which would not be too helpful for your client.

Another option is to use the display filter to select all the segments that are just hyperlinks, copy source to target, confirm them and then lock them. You only really need to lock them so you can filter on unlocked and then not worry about them, but doing all the above will help with your file statistics if you use these as a guide to how much work you have left.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Portugal
TOPIC STARTER
What the client wants Oct 19, 2014

thank you, Paul, but nieghter o fthose suggestions were what I am looking for.

The client wants the hyperlink tag removed in the target text in each case, as strange as that may sound.

e.g. Normal text normal text [hyperlink value="websiteX"]words in blue which need translating [/hyperlink] normal text normal text.

I am to retain the translated words of the hyperlink, but not the hyperlink tag.

I have used square brackets here to indica
... See more
thank you, Paul, but nieghter o fthose suggestions were what I am looking for.

The client wants the hyperlink tag removed in the target text in each case, as strange as that may sound.

e.g. Normal text normal text [hyperlink value="websiteX"]words in blue which need translating [/hyperlink] normal text normal text.

I am to retain the translated words of the hyperlink, but not the hyperlink tag.

I have used square brackets here to indicate HTML brackets - and the tags, in purple on my screen.

I was hoping to avoid having to remove the tags manually. There are approximately 1,500 of them!

I cannot give you a screenshot, sadly, because it is confidential.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok... Oct 19, 2014

... you didn't mention the filetype but I think this will be easier in the source file. So for example, if it's a word file you may be able to do this:

- open the file in word
- Ctrl+A to select all the contents of the file
- Ctrl+Shift+F9

This will remove all the hyperlinks but retain formatting. Then you translate the file. I can't think of
... See more
... you didn't mention the filetype but I think this will be easier in the source file. So for example, if it's a word file you may be able to do this:

- open the file in word
- Ctrl+A to select all the contents of the file
- Ctrl+Shift+F9

This will remove all the hyperlinks but retain formatting. Then you translate the file. I can't think of another simple way to handle this task in Studio. I considered an export for external review and then search replace the tags with nothing in the target column, but this would remove all formatting tags too.

So if it's Word the solution is simple in the source file I think, if it's something else you'd need to investigate what and you'd need the appropriate software.

If you have to use Studio then I reckon it's a painstaking manual exercise, unless anyone else has a clever idea?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Portugal
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 19, 2014

The file is a Word file. so that would have been a good solution, if it were just the Word file which my client sent.

I have been sent a Studio package, and need to use the package as it is, since it is linked to the client's termbase, and the return package has to be uploaded to the client's portal upon completion.

I suppose I had better make sure I leave enough time at the end of the translation for manual deletion, or a serious of Find and Replace manoeuvres.
<
... See more
The file is a Word file. so that would have been a good solution, if it were just the Word file which my client sent.

I have been sent a Studio package, and need to use the package as it is, since it is linked to the client's termbase, and the return package has to be uploaded to the client's portal upon completion.

I suppose I had better make sure I leave enough time at the end of the translation for manual deletion, or a serious of Find and Replace manoeuvres.

Either that, or ask the client if that is really what they want...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Seems to me that... Oct 19, 2014

... you should either be getting paid for this exercise inside Studio or you just create the target file and apply the same exercise to the target file instead.

In fact here's an idea, but do this on a copy of your Project so you don't screw up what you have if it doesn't work well.

1. Save the target file fully translated and with all the hyperlinks intact
2. Apply the Ctrl+Shift+F9 to the target file
... See more
... you should either be getting paid for this exercise inside Studio or you just create the target file and apply the same exercise to the target file instead.

In fact here's an idea, but do this on a copy of your Project so you don't screw up what you have if it doesn't work well.

1. Save the target file fully translated and with all the hyperlinks intact
2. Apply the Ctrl+Shift+F9 to the target file
3. Save the source file (you can recreate the source from the sdlxliff in the package)
4. Align the source and the "corrected" target
5. Create a TMX from the alignment (as you have 2011) and upgrade this to an sdltm
6. Clear all the target segments from your file in Studio
7. Add the new TM and pretranslate

It sounds like a lot of steps but it isn't going to be too hard if the files align well, and might be faster than manually removing 1500 tag pairs.

Another idea (if you don't have any approved segments in your file yet) would be to use the display filter to select only the segments which contain the hyperlinks and text. Set them to approved.

Now create a new TM and import only the approved segments to your new TM. You should be able to select approved only in the import dialogue. Then export the contents of this new TM as plain text only (another option when you export).

Now upgrade that TMX as another new TM, only now it won't contain tags.

Go back to your file in the Project and lock everything apart from the approved segments (lock everything, then select approved and unlock these). Now clear the segments for the whole file (the locked ones will be untouched) and add only your tagless TM.

Set the pretranslate level fairly low as they won't be 100% matches without the tags and pre-translate the file. If you're lucky you'll get all the target segments translated without the tags.

By now you'll realise I have nothing better to do this evening... or it sounds like that anyway!!

Good luck.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Portugal
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds like a plan Oct 19, 2014

Thank you Paul for the time you have devoted to this.

Your suggested steps 1-7 sound like they might work.

I will probably be trying these on Wednesday afternoon, ahead of my Thursday deadline.

I recall now that I was trying to teach myself how to align already existing source and target docs, and did rather well until I tried to save what I had done, and SDL prompted me for the licence number. My Trados Studios 2001 Freelance Plus licence number was of the
... See more
Thank you Paul for the time you have devoted to this.

Your suggested steps 1-7 sound like they might work.

I will probably be trying these on Wednesday afternoon, ahead of my Thursday deadline.

I recall now that I was trying to teach myself how to align already existing source and target docs, and did rather well until I tried to save what I had done, and SDL prompted me for the licence number. My Trados Studios 2001 Freelance Plus licence number was of the wrong length, and I could not find where to go in TranslationZone to buy the necessary licence.

That is another kettle of fish entirely now, and I feel I have taken up enough of your time already.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
In your MySDL Account... Oct 19, 2014

Allison Wright wrote:

That is another kettle of fish entirely now, and I feel I have taken up enough of your time already.

... you probably have a Trados 2007 license in there too. This will be a different activation code to Studio 2011.

But you have reminded me of something else. If you do the align process in WinAlign it will use Trados filters and this may not align in the same way as Studio prepares the files. So I don't know how well the TM will work for you. Studio 2014 has a new alignment module built in that wouldn't have this problem, but please be aware of this if you find the segments are not matching the way Studio presents them in the Editor. It may not make a difference, but depending on the content of your files you might notice some oddities.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 - Global command for removing all hyperlink tags in target?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »