What alternative should I choose in TMX Import Options for Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 09:43
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 1, 2014

I normally always choose the first option, but wonder if there is any reason I should choose the third alternative?:

"The imported data will be used primarily in mixed scenarios."

As I received a TMX from my customer, I assume that he might use another CAT-tool. Is this what they mean with "mixed scenario"?

Because the TM is very large I wonder if it will make a big differe
... See more

I normally always choose the first option, but wonder if there is any reason I should choose the third alternative?:

"The imported data will be used primarily in mixed scenarios."

As I received a TMX from my customer, I assume that he might use another CAT-tool. Is this what they mean with "mixed scenario"?

Because the TM is very large I wonder if it will make a big difference whichever of the 3 alternatives I choose? So I get more TM-hits for one alternative compared to the other alternatives?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
English
You should read... Oct 2, 2014

... the Migration Guide that is installed with Studio, and even this one "Legacy Bilingual Compatibility Guide for SDL Trados Studio 2014 Users".

Both these documents will shed a lot of light on some of the more intricate workings of the software in relation to moving from the old Trados/SDLX tools to
... See more
... the Migration Guide that is installed with Studio, and even this one "Legacy Bilingual Compatibility Guide for SDL Trados Studio 2014 Users".

Both these documents will shed a lot of light on some of the more intricate workings of the software in relation to moving from the old Trados/SDLX tools to Studio.

The reason I point you to this is because the option you mention "The imported data will be used primarily in mixed scenarios." is there to cater for both of the first two options. If you choose this then depending on the content of the TMX there is a possibility you will have a larger TM after import so it can provide better leverage for the files you are translating irrespective of whether they are legacy bilingual files (TTX/ITD) or new native source files.

These are really advanced options which can make a significant difference to the quality of your upgrade, especially if you have very large TMs.

But read the documents. In addition to shedding some light on this I think they provide some good background information that is useful to everyone.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »