SDL Trados 2014, which to use: Freelance, Freelance Plus, or Starter?
Thread poster: Jack Ward
Jack Ward
Jack Ward  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
Sep 27, 2014

Hi all,

I'm a casual freelance translator who up to now has used Wordfast classic.

I now wish to move to SDL Trados 2014 but I am not sure whether to opt for Freelance, Freelance Plus, or Starter. I translate around 1,000 words per week on average. The main agency I work for also use SDL Trados 2014, and this is the reason I want to change software. The agency simply sends me the source file, I translate it, and send it back to them. In other words, my usage is quite st
... See more
Hi all,

I'm a casual freelance translator who up to now has used Wordfast classic.

I now wish to move to SDL Trados 2014 but I am not sure whether to opt for Freelance, Freelance Plus, or Starter. I translate around 1,000 words per week on average. The main agency I work for also use SDL Trados 2014, and this is the reason I want to change software. The agency simply sends me the source file, I translate it, and send it back to them. In other words, my usage is quite straightforward.

What do you guys recommend I buy?

Kind regards,

Jack

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2014-09-29 17:17 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 11:12
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
- Sep 29, 2014

If your client is willing to send you project packages rather than individual files, SDL Trados Starter might be good enough.
This version has rather annoying restrictions, though: the maximum TM size is limited if you work on individual files rather than packages, and some helpful features are disabled (autosuggest and the apps you can find on OpenExchange - some of them are really great).

The Freelance version doesn't have these restrictions, but it may be a little expensiv
... See more
If your client is willing to send you project packages rather than individual files, SDL Trados Starter might be good enough.
This version has rather annoying restrictions, though: the maximum TM size is limited if you work on individual files rather than packages, and some helpful features are disabled (autosuggest and the apps you can find on OpenExchange - some of them are really great).

The Freelance version doesn't have these restrictions, but it may be a little expensive considering the volumes you handle. Maybe at a discount price in a group buy?

Freelance Plus adds the possibility to use the software on two different machines - and that's about it. You might not need it at this point.
Collapse

Jack Ward
Jack Ward  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Would I only suffer the loss of a few functions with the Starter version? Sep 29, 2014

Many thanks for your reply, Anthony. I do appreciate it.

My clients do tend to send me SDL packages. If, say, someone were to send me an individual file as opposed to a package, is the only inconvenience I would suffer the loss of the autosuggest function and the TM restrictions? When you say the TM size is limited, are you referring to a limit on the number of translation units that can be translated?

Kind regards,

Jack

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
Finnish to French
SDL packages Sep 29, 2014

Jack Ward wrote:
My clients do tend to send me SDL packages.

Just in case you are not aware of it, several third-party tools are perfectly capable of opening SDL packages (.sdlppx), letting your translate their content (.sdlxliff) and even creating the "return" package (.sdlrpx). They are usually less expensive than SDL's own offering, have lower maintenance costs and won't charge you extra for a second installation.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:12
English
Yes... Sep 29, 2014

Jack Ward wrote:
If, say, someone were to send me an individual file as opposed to a package, is the only inconvenience I would suffer the loss of the autosuggest function and the TM restrictions? When you say the TM size is limited, are you referring to a limit on the number of translation units that can be translated?

Hi Jack,

This KB explains the differences : http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4939

So if you receive a package then you can use the autosuggest dictionaries, termbases, TMs. MT providers that are contained within. But if you receive a file only then you are restricted to a TM no larger than 5,000 TUs and can only handle one file at a time.

This may be enough for your volumes, and if you work with the same agency all the time who also use this tool then my advice would be to use the same software and avoid any problems that may occur in CAT hopping. Here's a few reasons why and this is not exhaustive... if you receive autosuggest dictionaries other CATs will not be able to use them; if you have QA settings in the package other tools will not be able to use them; if you receive custom xml files with stylesheets for the preview other tools will not be able to use them; if the source files contain tracked changes, or if you are asked to work with track changes on then other tools will not be able to use them. Workaround are always possible if you're happy implementing them.

I'm not against using other tools, and Dominic is right that others can handle the simple task of translating the files and sending them back. But if you have one client and only work with a small volume then it makes complete sense to use the same software as they do. The Starter edition will be adequate for this and it's considerably cheaper because it's aimed more towards the casual translator who is unlikely to need more.

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:12
English
Just a reminder... Sep 30, 2014

... if you go here today and visit the SDL Trados Studio booth it won't cost you anything. Limited numbers though... 250 left around the time of posting!

http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/632/program

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014, which to use: Freelance, Freelance Plus, or Starter?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »