Thread poster: Chiara Deaglio
Chiara Deaglio
Chiara Deaglio
Local time: 12:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 25, 2014

Hi.

I have Trados Studio 2011 installed on my PC.

As I need to have my hard disk reformatted (since its functioning is too slow now and a reformatting would speed it up considerably, as I know by experience), what is the safest procedure in order to maintain my license:

1) would just saving a "picture" of all the existing contents of my hard disk (which is what I usually do when reformatting a disk in order to save its contents and reinstall such contents s
... See more
Hi.

I have Trados Studio 2011 installed on my PC.

As I need to have my hard disk reformatted (since its functioning is too slow now and a reformatting would speed it up considerably, as I know by experience), what is the safest procedure in order to maintain my license:

1) would just saving a "picture" of all the existing contents of my hard disk (which is what I usually do when reformatting a disk in order to save its contents and reinstall such contents safely on the reformatted disk) be sufficient to retrieve automatically Trados Studio 2011 without any further procedure, or

2) should I "deactivate" the license (I get I prompt for "deactivation" every time I open Trados Studio) before the reformatting and "reactivate" it thereafter? If this is the correct procedure, is there a place in which I can find it explained step by step or is it only a matter of "deactivating" /"activating" the license by following easy instructions prompted by the system?

Thank you.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:16
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Customer support Sep 25, 2014

I think, such questions should be asked to the company’s customer support, not posted to a forum.

As I need to have my hard disk reformatted (since its functioning is too slow now and a reformatting would speed it up considerably, as I know by experience)

It’s overkill. You’d better remove unnecessary programs, clean temporary files, clean the system registry using utilities such as CCleaner, check and defragment the file system. And do it routinely.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
There is lots Sep 25, 2014

of programs that help you keeping your computer in good shape.

Try using RegCure, for example.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Return your license, don't use an image Sep 25, 2014

You'll have to save your own resources (TMs, TBs, user profile, etc.) elsewhere, return your license, download and install Studio on your clean disk and activate the license again.

I wrote some step-by-step instructions on installing Studio on a new computer here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/02/11/studio-on-a-new-computer/
... See more
You'll have to save your own resources (TMs, TBs, user profile, etc.) elsewhere, return your license, download and install Studio on your clean disk and activate the license again.

I wrote some step-by-step instructions on installing Studio on a new computer here:

As you're re-using your hard disk, you'll have to follow the steps in the blog post in this order: 6, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1

By the way, I don't think it's overkill to re-format your hard disk. It's much more effective wiping everything off it than using clean-up programs.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree Sep 25, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

As you're re-using your hard disk, you'll have to follow the steps in the blog post in this order: 6, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1

By the way, I don't think it's overkill to re-format your hard disk. It's much more effective wiping everything off it than using clean-up programs.

I would definitely advise against using registry cleaners: I tried most of them in the past and all they do is that they mess things up even more. The Windows OS simply needs a re-installation now and then (especially if a number of applications is installed and uninstalled). It used to be anually with WinXP, once in about every three years with Win7, and so far no experience with Win 8(.1).

So back up everything you need on an external drive, return all licenses, reinstall Windows, install all you need, activate, restore your documents from the external drive: that's usually the best way to improve the speed of your machine, although it might take a whole day.

[Upraveno: 2014-09-25 12:42 GMT]

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:16
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I agree Sep 27, 2014

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

So back up everything you need on an external drive, return all licenses, reinstall Windows, install all you need, activate, restore your documents from the external drive: that's usually the best way to improve the speed of your machine, although it might take a whole day.

I also use a cloud application such as onedrive to keep all my important work files and folders in. This makes things considerably easier for backing up your stuff (it's already done basically). I am also an advocate of reinstalling the OS regularly. I'm also considering installing an SSD one of these days to improve performance - I've heard good things.

You've probably found out by now, but just in case - your returned licence is kept in the My Account section of the SDL website. All your licences are kept there, so I also vote for deactivate and reactivate after installation. I forgot to do it last time I reinstalled and logged it with SDL who helped me out very efficiently and quickly.

[Edited at 2014-09-27 13:20 GMT]

Chiara Deaglio
Chiara Deaglio
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to "return" a license means to "deactivate" it from the prompt I get when opening Trados Studio? Sep 27, 2014

Huw Watkins wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

I also use a cloud application such as onedrive to keep all my important work files and folders in. This makes things considerably easier for backing up your stuff (it's already done basically). I am also an advocate of reinstalling the OS regularly. I'm also considering installing an SSD one of these days to improve performance - I've heard good things.

You've probably found out by now, but just in case - your returned licence is kept in the My Account section of the SDL website. All your licences are kept there, so I also vote for deactivate and reactivate after installation. I forgot to do it last time I reinstalled and logged it with SDL who helped me out very efficiently and quickly.

[Edited at 2014-09-27 13:20 GMT]

Thank you very much.

Just one question:

to "return" a license means to "deactivate" it from the prompt I get when opening Trados Studio?

The all I have to do is clicking on "Deactivate" from this prompt and then reformatting my hard disk and then reactivate Trados (how? I know my license number as I have written it on paper, but I presume I have to follow some procedure by going on the SDL website - MyAccount, to reactivate Trados... hoping that I will not have lost my Glossary and TMs because of the reformatting...)

Thank you

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes exactly Sep 27, 2014

Chiara Deaglio wrote:

Just one question:

to "return" a license means to "deactivate" it from the prompt I get when opening Trados Studio?

The all I have to do is clicking on "Deactivate" from this prompt and then reformatting my hard disk and then reactivate Trados (how? I know my license number as I have written it on paper, but I presume I have to follow some procedure by going on the SDL website - MyAccount, to reactivate Trados... hoping that I will not have lost my Glossary and TMs because of the reformatting...)

Thank you

You click on deactivate when prompted or via the open application: Help>Product Activation. Then once you have backed up any files and folders you want to keep from your C drive, you start the reinstall process. I would also advise at this point that you make sure you format the C drive during this process to ensure it is completely wiped. It is offered to you as an option early on during the reinstall as "Manage Drives" or something similar (from memory). So once you have done that and reinstalled your OS (make sure you have your OS licence key to hand before formatting the drive BTW as there's no going back after formatting), then you simply download SDL Trados Studio from the My Account section of the SDL website. Once downloaded (along with multiterm) you start to install Studio and it asks you to activate by inputting your licence key. That's it, done...

As others have said, it will mean doing this for all your software. What I do is simply re-install software as and when the need arises for it, so I don't overload the system too early on.

[Edited at 2014-09-27 14:48 GMT]

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
External drive back-up Sep 27, 2014

Chiara Deaglio wrote:

hoping that I will not have lost my Glossary and TMs because of the reformatting...)

Thank you

I just spotted this. It's really important, as Stanislav has pointed out, that you save all this stuff on a different drive - an external drive if you don't have two internal drives on your PC like me. You have to do all that before formatting the C drive or its all lost... forever...

I speak from painful experience when I lost some irreplaceable photos once that i forgot to back up externally.

Chiara Deaglio
Chiara Deaglio
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is the "deactivation - reformatting - reactivation" procedure repeatable umpteenth times? Sep 27, 2014

Huw Watkins wrote:

Chiara Deaglio wrote:

Just one question:

Thank you

You click on deactivate when prompted or via the open application: Help>Product Activation. Then once you have backed up any files and folders you want to keep from your C drive, you start the reinstall process. I would also advise at this point that you make sure you format the C drive during this process to ensure it is completely wiped. It is offered to you as an option early on during the reinstall as "Manage Drives" or something similar (from memory). So once you have done that and reinstalled your OS (make sure you have your OS licence key to hand before formatting the drive BTW as there's no going back after formatting), then you simply download SDL Trados Studio from the My Account section of the SDL website. Once downloaded (along with multiterm) you start to install Studio and it asks you to activate by inputting your licence key. That's it, done...

As others have said, it will mean doing this for all your software. What I do is simply re-install software as and when the need arises for it, so I don't overload the system too early on.

[Edited at 2014-09-27 14:48 GMT]

Thank you, Huw.

Just another question:

Can this procedure (1. deactivation - 2. reformatting - 3. reactivation) be repeated any number of times on the same hard disk, or just once or twice (on the same hard disk, I mean)?

I am asking this question because I have heard that I am only allowed to install Trados Studio 2011 on 2 different computers (although I have installed on just mine, until now).

Well, is the above mentioned procedure actually "consuming" my so-called "second chance" or is it repeatable umpteenth times without any limitation?

Thank you!!!!!

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Umpteen times, plus 1 Sep 27, 2014

Chiara Deaglio wrote:

Just another question:

Can this procedure (1. deactivation - 2. reformatting - 3. reactivation) be repeated any number of times on the same hard disk, or just once or twice (on the same hard disk, I mean)?

I am asking this question because I have heard that I am only allowed to install Trados Studio 2011 on 2 different computers (although I have installed on just mine, until now).

Well, is the above mentioned procedure actually "consuming" my so-called "second chance" or is it repeatable umpteenth times without any limitation?

Thank you!!!!!

Yes there is no restriction on how many times you do this. The licence is good for two SIMULTANEOUS installations if you have the 'plus' version. In fact I sometimes have it installed on 3 computers, but obviously only activated on 2 at any one time. I can choose which I use by deactivating and activating at will. I am not 100% sure whether I am breaking the licence agreement by doing that, but currently I only have it installed on 2 computers anyway. Would be interesting to find that out...

I digress. What you are doing by deactivating is temporarily returning the licence as it used to be called, perhaps deactivating is a more apt way of thinking about it, hence the change in phrasing by SDL. You deactivate it temporarily until you reactivate it again. You never lose the right to install on 2 pcs however, no matter what happens.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No LA breach, I think Sep 27, 2014

Huw Watkins wrote:
In fact I sometimes have it installed on 3 computers, but obviously only activated on 2 at any one time. I can choose which I use by deactivating and activating at will. I am not 100% sure whether I am breaking the licence agreement by doing that, but currently I only have it installed on 2 computers anyway. Would be interesting to find that out..

I don't think you are breaking the LA, Huw. Breaking it would mean to make an attempt to activate three copies at a time with only two activations available, which is of course impossible unless you have cracked the software.

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Good to know! Sep 30, 2014

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:
In fact I sometimes have it installed on 3 computers, but obviously only activated on 2 at any one time. I can choose which I use by deactivating and activating at will. I am not 100% sure whether I am breaking the licence agreement by doing that, but currently I only have it installed on 2 computers anyway. Would be interesting to find that out..

I don't think you are breaking the LA, Huw. Breaking it would mean to make an attempt to activate three copies at a time with only two activations available, which is of course impossible unless you have cracked the software.

Thanks Stanislav.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Planned formatting of my hard disk

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »