Problems with TM and concordance, re-install necessary??
Thread poster: Sabine Jones
Sabine Jones
Sabine Jones
Germany
Local time: 15:17
German to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2014

After having read a few other posts I decided to give mine a new title.

Specific issue at hand:

- I have used align to fill a TM [clientname DE-EN].
- I have also created a new project with 20 docs in it as it's all pertaining to one website for that client.
- I am now shocked that after translating 2-3 docs none of the new ones I open despite there being repetitions in the terminology, there is no result on the concordance search and there is no what I wou
... See more
After having read a few other posts I decided to give mine a new title.

Specific issue at hand:

- I have used align to fill a TM [clientname DE-EN].
- I have also created a new project with 20 docs in it as it's all pertaining to one website for that client.
- I am now shocked that after translating 2-3 docs none of the new ones I open despite there being repetitions in the terminology, there is no result on the concordance search and there is no what I would call "autofill" (auto propagate?)

What am I doing wrong? (and yes of course I am using CTRL / ENTER).

Should I have prepared the project files with or without Project TM? Is that where the problem lies?

Or should I simply have aligned more documents to fill the TM with more?

I also looked for an option to get help from SDL but so far I could only find courses which seem to be too generic for my specific problems, after all what does it help to be on a webex where you watch others sliding around their desktop but you can't show them yours and only get to ask questions at the end? (I am happy to pay for help but I want it to be specific to my issue!)

THANK you for your help, I really need to act quickly here.

[Edited at 2014-09-17 05:31 GMT]
Collapse

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 23:17
English to German
+ ...
TM properly enabled? Sep 18, 2014

Have you properly enabled the TM under Project Settings>Language Pairs>All Language Pairs>Translation Memories and Automated Translations?

Are all the boxes checked (Lookup, Concordance, Update?)

Does a manual concordance search produce anything?

Sabine Jones
Sabine Jones
Germany
Local time: 15:17
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting better! Sep 18, 2014

Henning Holthusen wrote:

Have you properly enabled the TM under Project Settings>Language Pairs>All Language Pairs>Translation Memories and Automated Translations?

Are all the boxes checked (Lookup, Concordance, Update?)

Does a manual concordance search produce anything?

Thanks for the tips:

1. yes had enabled it properly
2. didn't know though that there's a possibility to merge several documents into one project and am now working on that as obviously the in-doc autopropagation will work better.
3. have tried a manual concordance and for individual words it seems to work but not sure it works for entire sentences.

Am working on it.... after all I am new

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 23:17
English to German
+ ...
One typical reason... Sep 20, 2014

One typical reason (for beginners) why a TM inexplicably doesn't work is that the language pair is mixed up in the project or the TM, meaning it's D-E instead of E-D.
Then the TM will obviously not find anything.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with TM and concordance, re-install necessary??

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »