2014: is there a way to mark/ignore certain segments?
Thread poster: Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:02
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 31, 2014

Hi. I have a client in a long ongoing project who likes to make life difficult. The files the provide often contain sections of text in the target language (quotes from previously translated documents or from works being cited, etc.). Some of them are written in both languages - either because they have several authors or because one person thinks variously in both languages.

I work with a team of freelancers, and the large docs are split up between them. They send me back their sd
... See more
Hi. I have a client in a long ongoing project who likes to make life difficult. The files the provide often contain sections of text in the target language (quotes from previously translated documents or from works being cited, etc.). Some of them are written in both languages - either because they have several authors or because one person thinks variously in both languages.

I work with a team of freelancers, and the large docs are split up between them. They send me back their sdlxliff or tmx export, usually on a daily basis so I can consolidate the TM and share the updated one.

The word count has to be adjusted to deduct the text already in the target language, and that needs to be done on an individual translator basis.

Additionally, the client enters a large number of comments, which they require to be retained in the doc. but not translated - there are also at various times blocks of text in different colours that we should or shouldn't translate...

I am finding it very hard to manage the word count by translator, especially since the client also makes major amendments to the docs. as we are going, with insertions, deletions and moving blocks around, so text that was in one person's section ends up in another.

It would be really, really useful if I could mark segments (or text in the source but I would like to do it in Trados) in some way, with some sort of type, so that they could be excluded from the translation count, or counted in a different category (and ideally filterable, but the filter function is sadly entirely hard coded - time to change that, guys! I'm always wanting to filter on some criteria that isn't there).

Is there something that can help me? Maybe I'm just not handling it very well.

Thank you!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Would it help... Jul 31, 2014

Sian Cooper wrote:

It would be really, really useful if I could mark segments (or text in the source but I would like to do it in Trados) in some way, with some sort of type, so that they could be excluded from the translation count, or counted in a different category (and ideally filterable, but the filter function is sadly entirely hard coded - time to change that, guys! I'm always wanting to filter on some criteria that isn't there).

Is there something that can help me? Maybe I'm just not handling it very well.

... to simply lock these segments? If you don't use locked segments for anything else that seems to easy way forward because they would be filterable and they would be counted in a separate category.

On the filter... what kind of things do you want to filter on?

Regards

Paul

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
But if you do lock the segments Aug 1, 2014

accept them first. I was once sent a file with a lot of locked segments for which the trnslation was not accepted, just locked, and I had to stop on each of these as accepting a segment did not skip to the next unlocked, untrnslated segment but only to the next untranslated segment. This meant that it stopped at each and every locked segment and there were a couple of thousand. What a waste of time that job was!!

Eileen

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2014 skips locked segments Aug 1, 2014

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

accept them first. I was once sent a file with a lot of locked segments for which the trnslation was not accepted, just locked, and I had to stop on each of these as accepting a segment did not skip to the next unlocked, untrnslated segment but only to the next untranslated segment. This meant that it stopped at each and every locked segment and there were a couple of thousand. What a waste of time that job was!!

Eileen

I believe Studio 2014 skips the locked segments, no matter if they are confirmed or not.

Studio 2011 doesn't skip them, what can be a real pain indeed, although you may filter them out if you don't mind to lose context while translating…

... Jesús Prieto ...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I lock them untranslated, i.e. blank Aug 1, 2014

I occasionally have sections that are already translated, and simply lock them - Studio skips them, and they come over in the target as they are. Less clutter in the TM! I sometimes do the same with addresses and other items that will never crop up again or do not have to be translated. They are often the sensitive confidential details that I don't want to keep anyway.

You can mark several at a time - hold CTRL down and left click on the number of each segment. Then right click and
... See more
I occasionally have sections that are already translated, and simply lock them - Studio skips them, and they come over in the target as they are. Less clutter in the TM! I sometimes do the same with addresses and other items that will never crop up again or do not have to be translated. They are often the sensitive confidential details that I don't want to keep anyway.

You can mark several at a time - hold CTRL down and left click on the number of each segment. Then right click and choose Lock Segments.

I don't know what the maximum number is, but you can lock five or six at a time that way. Repeat the procedure to unlock them.
Collapse

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Locking is nice, although 'skipping' is partial Aug 2, 2014

Thanks for your replies, all!

Locking certainly helps (blank or just copied over, is fine for me) - above all for the word count aspect, Paul mentioned the analysis can count them separately, and that is great.

The 'skipping' in 2014 seems to be partial (e.g. Ctrl+arrow down, skips; Ctrl+arrow up, doesn't).

The main problem is that I am being sent multiple (daily) updates to the file, and for each one I have to relock all the same segments. Am I being den
... See more
Thanks for your replies, all!

Locking certainly helps (blank or just copied over, is fine for me) - above all for the word count aspect, Paul mentioned the analysis can count them separately, and that is great.

The 'skipping' in 2014 seems to be partial (e.g. Ctrl+arrow down, skips; Ctrl+arrow up, doesn't).

The main problem is that I am being sent multiple (daily) updates to the file, and for each one I have to relock all the same segments. Am I being dense?

I have come across two other errors this morning trying to handle this, which I shall have to post separately when I have a moment (which is not now!). Trying to set the project to

- ignore comments (but still include them in the target output)
- include tracked changes in the source

I have two lovely SDL error messages saved for Mr Paul's delectation later.

I am also wondering why Trados is now taking over 3Mb of memory (about 1Mb more than yesterday); only 7K more words than yesterday, no new graphics.

I also find that although I have added various abbrebiations to my TM, the segmentation rules are ignoring them (the abbreviation flag is on).

Something else happened too, but all in all it's being a pain in the butt.

Anyway - please don't respond to that lot here, it will mix up the thread, I shall do separate postings later, promise!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2014: is there a way to mark/ignore certain segments?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »