URGENT- SDL Studio 2014 converted a Tag Editor file into something not openable
Thread poster: Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:39
English to German
Jul 31, 2014

When I try to open the Tag Editor file, I get an error message about "end of 'ut' tag". It will not open in Tag Editor, and is obviously not deliverable in this state.

I worked on it normally in Studio 2014, had not error messages, and the file converted without a hitch.

However, on making sure that it can be opened in Tag Editor, I got this error message, and the file did not open.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
... See more
When I try to open the Tag Editor file, I get an error message about "end of 'ut' tag". It will not open in Tag Editor, and is obviously not deliverable in this state.

I worked on it normally in Studio 2014, had not error messages, and the file converted without a hitch.

However, on making sure that it can be opened in Tag Editor, I got this error message, and the file did not open.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Christiane

[Edited at 2014-07-31 08:20 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
English
Most likely... Jul 31, 2014

... the TTX you translated was not fully segmented before you started. This means that any unsegmented parts will be segmented by Studio. This in itself is often not a problem, but where TagEditor incorrectly handles some tag pairs Studio handles then properly and the result is that you may find tag pairs in the translated TTX that TagEditor can't handle.

The solution to these problems is to segment the file fully at the start using Workbench so that the TTX is prepared in the way
... See more
... the TTX you translated was not fully segmented before you started. This means that any unsegmented parts will be segmented by Studio. This in itself is often not a problem, but where TagEditor incorrectly handles some tag pairs Studio handles then properly and the result is that you may find tag pairs in the translated TTX that TagEditor can't handle.

The solution to these problems is to segment the file fully at the start using Workbench so that the TTX is prepared in the way Trados 2007 expects. Then translate it in Studio.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

United States
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Well that will work on the next file Jul 31, 2014

I got the Tag Editor file from an agency. The original file did open in Tag Editor. Now I am trying to turn the file in. I have no idea how the original file was segmented, or not segmented. I expect when SDL Trados converts a perfectly good Tag Editor file back into the ttx format that I can open it in Tag Editor. Otherwise this format is not usable in Studio, since one would always have to be afraid that it will not convert properly.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Of course that is what we all want... Jul 31, 2014

... but some things are just not as straightforward as that. There is an article here that explains the problems a little that you might find interesting : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-um

It really just means that if you want to handle these legacy files in any modern CAT that you should make sure that the files are prepared properly first. The agency can easily do this before they send you the files, all it
... See more
... but some things are just not as straightforward as that. There is an article here that explains the problems a little that you might find interesting : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-um

It really just means that if you want to handle these legacy files in any modern CAT that you should make sure that the files are prepared properly first. The agency can easily do this before they send you the files, all it takes is to check one little box before preparing the files.

These problems could even happen between versions of TagEditor so it makes complete sense to make sure the files are prepared first and then they will always come back as expected.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

United States
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Which button? Jul 31, 2014

Ok, so which button needs to be pressed in Tag Editor for the files to be "fully segmented"? Before 2008 I used Trados 2007 and its predecessors all the time, but was never that familiar with Tag Editor. Thank you!

Thank you for the article. It is interesting from a production point of view.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not in TagEditor... Jul 31, 2014

... in Workbench. This is because unsegmented sentences are the ones that didn't have a match in the Translation Memory. So if you just open a file in TagEditor and save it then you will have no proper segmentation of the file at all. For TagEditor this is no problem because you will complete the segmentation as you work through the translation using Trados 2007 rules. But in any other tool that can even handle an unsegmented TTX (many cannot) this is a possible problem when the target comes... See more
... in Workbench. This is because unsegmented sentences are the ones that didn't have a match in the Translation Memory. So if you just open a file in TagEditor and save it then you will have no proper segmentation of the file at all. For TagEditor this is no problem because you will complete the segmentation as you work through the translation using Trados 2007 rules. But in any other tool that can even handle an unsegmented TTX (many cannot) this is a possible problem when the target comes back.

So the process is to prepare the files in Workbench and not TagEditor just by adding the files under the Translate function and checking this box before running the translate command:

This ensures that every single segment is fully segmented.

SDL Legit! is a neat application from the SDL OpenExchange that will do this from supported source files without the need for Workbench, but if you have already received the TTX and don't have a customer who will prepare this properly for you then you need Workbench to "repair" it.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT- SDL Studio 2014 converted a Tag Editor file into something not openable

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »