TM upgrade from txt files takes a ridiculous amount of time in Studio 2014
Thread poster: Hybinette
Hybinette
Hybinette
Local time: 14:58
German to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 21, 2014

Sometimes I receive files for translation in the legacy ttx format, together with a memory export in txt. As you know, these files must first be upgraded to tmw and then after that to sdltm. In Studio 2011, this process was a piece of cake, but ever since I upgraded to Studio 2014, the first upgrade process has become unbearable.

When looking in Windows file explorer and refreshing the file view, I can see that the tmw file is created at a pace of about 1 MB per 5-10 minutes. Since
... See more
Sometimes I receive files for translation in the legacy ttx format, together with a memory export in txt. As you know, these files must first be upgraded to tmw and then after that to sdltm. In Studio 2011, this process was a piece of cake, but ever since I upgraded to Studio 2014, the first upgrade process has become unbearable.

When looking in Windows file explorer and refreshing the file view, I can see that the tmw file is created at a pace of about 1 MB per 5-10 minutes. Since the memory export is sometimes a bit over 100 MB, it is virtually impossible for me to do this on my own. Instead, I have to send the file to a colleague, who has Trados 2007, and ask him to upgrade the txt to a tmw. This takes him about 5-7 minutes, which would probably take 15-16 hours for me, and his computer is even way slower than mine.

I'd like to point out again that I was able to do this flawlessly in Studio 2011, so obviously there shouldn't be any technical limitations in the main source code of the program. Also, when my colleague sends me the tmw file, I can upgrade it to sdltm at the speed of light, so apparently this problem only occurs with txt files.

Any help in this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Pelle
Collapse

Hybinette
Hybinette
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still a major issue Dec 19, 2014

I just wanted to point out that this issue is still a big problem, and right now, when I don't have the possibility of getting assistance from my colleague, I have to wait about an hour for a TXT memory to get converted into TMW. A lot of clients still use this format for TM exports, which I'm sure SDL is aware of. I will of course not pay for the official support just to get assistance with a bug in their software (how can they even charge money for support when the software is already expensiv... See more
I just wanted to point out that this issue is still a big problem, and right now, when I don't have the possibility of getting assistance from my colleague, I have to wait about an hour for a TXT memory to get converted into TMW. A lot of clients still use this format for TM exports, which I'm sure SDL is aware of. I will of course not pay for the official support just to get assistance with a bug in their software (how can they even charge money for support when the software is already expensive?), and otherwise it seems my only way of resolving the issue is to visit a flea market and hope to find a copy of Trados 2007, which is capable of converting TXT memories at a fast pace.

As a paying customer, I would like to get a response from an SDL employee.

Regards,
Pelle
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
Finnish to French
Use Xbench Dec 19, 2014

You can use ApSIC Xbench (the older, free version will do fine) to convert TXT memories to TMX:

Select Project > New > Add > File type = Trados Exported Memory and point to the TXT file.

Then select Tools > Export items > Output = TMX.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The content of the TXT... Dec 19, 2014

... can have a significant impact here. Studio "cleans up" the TM to make it relevant for Studio so if the TXT is full of numbers, dates, alphanumerics, duplicates, invalid xml etc. then all of this can effect the speed of the process.

If you have a TXT that you know upgrades quickly in 2011 and not in 2014 I'd be happy to take a look at it?

In the meantime why not just ask your client for the TMW (and it's associated index files) and then use the Trados 2007 plugin on
... See more
... can have a significant impact here. Studio "cleans up" the TM to make it relevant for Studio so if the TXT is full of numbers, dates, alphanumerics, duplicates, invalid xml etc. then all of this can effect the speed of the process.

If you have a TXT that you know upgrades quickly in 2011 and not in 2014 I'd be happy to take a look at it?

In the meantime why not just ask your client for the TMW (and it's associated index files) and then use the Trados 2007 plugin on the OpenExchange? This way you don't have to upgrade the TM at all, you can just add it to your project as a read only TM to help with the translation.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM upgrade from txt files takes a ridiculous amount of time in Studio 2014

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »