Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:56
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 24, 2014

I am running SDL Studio 2011 SP2R with Java 7 Update 55. In order for add/edit term to work in MTerm and Studio, I had to use a Java workaround, disabling next generation plug-ins.

This was working fine until today, when I accepted an automatic update (Cumulative Update 13) with promised to fix the term editing problem related to Java and, hence, allows for activation of security features.

Unfortunately, what happened was a regression to a situation where even the prev
... See more
I am running SDL Studio 2011 SP2R with Java 7 Update 55. In order for add/edit term to work in MTerm and Studio, I had to use a Java workaround, disabling next generation plug-ins.

This was working fine until today, when I accepted an automatic update (Cumulative Update 13) with promised to fix the term editing problem related to Java and, hence, allows for activation of security features.

Unfortunately, what happened was a regression to a situation where even the previous workaround doesn't work. All attempts to add/edit terms result in a blank term editing pane. Nothing then can be done except cancel the edit.

I am now stuck with this lame functionality while working in a tight schedule. I can continue to work and use term matches and insertions; but the inability to add new terms in a large project reduces productivity and consistency.

Any help will be appreciated, including suggestions on how to remove the latest update.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
NExt Generation Plugin Apr 24, 2014

Dear Alaa

As you installed Cumulative Update 13 that includes the possibility to work with the latest Java version Java 7 Update 55 version you need to tick the box for using the "next generation plugin".

Therefore you need to open the Java Control Panel (Control Panel > Programs > Java)
In the Advanced tab tick the option for the next generation plugin.

With the Cumulative Update 13 for Studio 2011 SP2R you are/will even be able to install and use Ja
... See more
Dear Alaa

As you installed Cumulative Update 13 that includes the possibility to work with the latest Java version Java 7 Update 55 version you need to tick the box for using the "next generation plugin".

Therefore you need to open the Java Control Panel (Control Panel > Programs > Java)
In the Advanced tab tick the option for the next generation plugin.

With the Cumulative Update 13 for Studio 2011 SP2R you are/will even be able to install and use Java 8 (yes, it is no typo ). With Java 8 you also will not see the Next Generation Plugin option in the Java Control Panel as it is by default active and not optional anymore.

Kind regards
Richard Puschmann | Support Engineer | SDL | Language Technologies Division |

Have a problem with SDL products? Maybe you already can find an answer in our Knowledge Base here: http://kb.sdl.com
Here you find solutions to known issues and many more....
If you want to keep up-2-date with the latest released articles you can also follow me on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Richard___P
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried checking next gen. plugin first Apr 24, 2014

Thank you, Richard. Checking next generation plug-in was the first thing I tried after installing Update 13, thinking that this will now work. I then tried different combinations of security levels, then unchecking next gen. plug-in. None of this worked. I have now uninstalled Java 7 update 55 and will restart to see what happens.

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java 8 solved the problem Apr 24, 2014

Removing Java 7.55 and reverting to an older version didn't help. So, since I didn't have anything else to loose, except time, of course, of which I have already lost more than six precious hours, I decided to go for Richard's suggestion and install Java 8.

And voila! Adding and editing terms now work fine in MTerm and Studio. I hope there will be no other hidden effects, but for now I can say; thank you, Richard.

[Edited at 2014-04-24 23:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term editing problem returns with Update 13

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »