The endless saga of Java and Studio 2014 :-)
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 17:27
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 24, 2014

And here we are, with a new issue!

Java was working fine, upgraded to Java 8 and everything was good, the sun was shining (That's a lie...rain season incoming here) and i was working with my Studio 2014...when...

Studio tells me my Java 8 version is outdated and i need to "update" to 7.55. So, since i think it may like 7.55 more i agree and let it install 7.55 again (But it had been working fine with 8 before, no issues). The upgrade is done from within the CAT and appa
... See more
And here we are, with a new issue!

Java was working fine, upgraded to Java 8 and everything was good, the sun was shining (That's a lie...rain season incoming here) and i was working with my Studio 2014...when...

Studio tells me my Java 8 version is outdated and i need to "update" to 7.55. So, since i think it may like 7.55 more i agree and let it install 7.55 again (But it had been working fine with 8 before, no issues). The upgrade is done from within the CAT and apparently there is no disruption. Except, at the same time Internet Explorer pops up a new message telling me that my Java version (now 7.55) is outdated and i need to upgrade.....of course (for sake of science and empirical testing) i try it and Internet Explorer is finally happy, except that when i click on CTRL+F2 to add a new term in Studio 2014 i get the message telling me my Java version (Version 8 again) is now outdated and i need to "update" to 7.55.
So, the saga goes and i want to ask SDL (In the person of Paul or any other victim of our frustrations on shift), is there any way to make the saga end? Does removing both Javas and then installing just 8 does the trick (I ask to save me time in useless experiments)

I have a screenshot of how Studio Multiterm field shows when this happens (basically it's the Java updating screen).

Of course the query is open to other users too, doesn't have to be Paul in the flesh.

I am not particularly angry because i have time to tackle this and i can still add up terms (even though it takes time). But i'd love to have this sorted out and, if possible, understand why this happened all of a sudden while everything was doing fine and well and we were in a honeymoon!

Thanks

Enrico
Collapse

Thomas Haller
Thomas Haller  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:27
Spanish to German
+ ...
Same old story Apr 24, 2014

I cannot even add terms to Multiterm. It is not willing to save. I do not understand why SDL does not work together with Java to avoid this kind of problem. Multiterm is not a reliable tool! When I need it most, it lets me down.
I am expecting an answer by SDL as how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any useful help.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not that easy Apr 24, 2014

Thomas Haller Uribe Posada wrote:
I do not understand why SDL does not work together with Java to avoid this kind of problem.

Oracle (the developer of Java since it acquired Sun Microsystems in 2010) are not always particularly easy to work with. They often release updates without notifying other software developers first and this is what causes most of our problems. Sadly enough, it's the end users who suffer the consequences.

Regarding Java, I usually employ the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" strategy. If I can remember correctly, it was Paul on this forum who said that SDL would abandon Java as soon as they can. I can't even guess how long this could take and if Java in MultiTerm could be abandoned altogether anytime soon, but the sooner the better.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
There is an Oracle issue involved here Apr 24, 2014

Hi Enrico,

Unfortunately, if you only have Java 8 installed (which Studio should be fine with) then the Java update feature will ask you to install Java 7 Update 55. You can verify this behaviour here which is caused by Oracle and not us in this case:

http://java.com/verify

I just tested this myself after making sure I only had Java 8 installed and I was indeed advised to "D
... See more
Hi Enrico,

Unfortunately, if you only have Java 8 installed (which Studio should be fine with) then the Java update feature will ask you to install Java 7 Update 55. You can verify this behaviour here which is caused by Oracle and not us in this case:

http://java.com/verify

I just tested this myself after making sure I only had Java 8 installed and I was indeed advised to "Download Java for your desktop computer now! Version 7 Update 55" which is of course nonsense. I have not taken it and I continue to work with only Java 8.

I have also just updated 2011 to the latest CU that was released today, and Studio 2014. Adding/Editing terms seems unaffected for me.

I guess your problem is the result of taking the unnecessary update prompted incorrectly. So removing it probably fixes your issue?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
An update on this one... Apr 25, 2014

... I checked the Java checker again this morning as we were planning a KB article for this and it no longer seems to report the version incorrectly. So hopefully this will indeed be a one off.

Regards

Paul

Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:27
Russian to English
+ ...
The best solution Apr 25, 2014

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/265543-trados_2014_crashed_after_adding_a_term.html

The link above provides the best solution for java-related issues. The Chau's procedure enabled me to avoid any crashes (only once per a couple of days) and ensure stable operations of multiterm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The endless saga of Java and Studio 2014 :-)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »