Finland
Local time: 07:30
English to Finnish
+ ...
Apr 22, 2014

Hi,

I have these two (successive) segments in my text:

- Printer Status
- The Printer Status window and its contents shown in this user guide may differ depending on the machine or operating system in use.

When I have translated and confirm (and added to TM) the first one and go to the next one and highlight "Printer Status" to check if I actually did translate the previous segment according to customer's TM, Studio's concordance search doesn't even s
... See more
Hi,

I have these two (successive) segments in my text:

- Printer Status
- The Printer Status window and its contents shown in this user guide may differ depending on the machine or operating system in use.

When I have translated and confirm (and added to TM) the first one and go to the next one and highlight "Printer Status" to check if I actually did translate the previous segment according to customer's TM, Studio's concordance search doesn't even show the previous segment that I just translated even though it should be the best match for my search.

I even tried to change the Concordance Search setting to 100%, but it still doesn't find it even though it shows in the Translation Results window if I go back to the previous sentence.

Any ideas on how to fix this and improve the Concordance Search function?

Hannu
Collapse

Mariusz Duchiński
Mariusz Duchiński  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:30
English to Polish
search in source Apr 23, 2014

Hi Hannu,

Try highlighting in source pane, or when searching in target pane change the setting to "Search source" in a drop-down menu in concordance search pane.

HIH
Mariusz

Hannu Jaatinen (X)
Hannu Jaatinen (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Been there, done that Apr 23, 2014

Hi,

I have tried using several different methods.

ps. I'm a certified SDL Trainer

Hannu

merinber (X)
merinber (X)
Germany
German to English
Concordance search Apr 23, 2014

I assume you are referring to the automatic concordance search that is launched when no match is found in the TM (which must be activated). If so, it seems normal to me that nothing is found. The second segment is so long that is has nothing/little to do with the first one. Create a file with the two segments in reverse order and see what happens. You may have to play with the Concordance minimum match value in the TM settings.

Hannu Jaatinen (X)
Hannu Jaatinen (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Auto or normal - no difference Apr 24, 2014

Even if I highlight the term and do a "manual concordance search", it still doesn't find anything. I tried to put the concordance search percentage up to 95 and even 100 but still no results even though (and perhaps because) it was added to TM just a few seconds ago.

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
How Trados Concordance works Apr 24, 2014

Hi,

my inability to use the Concordance function of Trados (2007 and 2009) in a way that optimally benefits my translations is one of the two main reasons why I am in the process of migrating to a different CAT tool.
The following
... See more
Hi,

my inability to use the Concordance function of Trados (2007 and 2009) in a way that optimally benefits my translations is one of the two main reasons why I am in the process of migrating to a different CAT tool.
The following thread http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/123157-terms_not_showing_up_using_concordance.html contains some explanations on how the Concordance feature of Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 works, and it explains your problem, too. Basically, Trados first searches for anything that might be a hit, stops when it has found a certain number of potential hits, and only then applies the search/match percentage to rate the quality of the hits. It's a matter of chance whether the best hit is found, and this chance gets smaller the larger your TM is. So, in your case, if your TM contains other TUs with the words "Printer" and (or even and/or?) "Status", this may prevent Trados from finding the best match with Concordance.
Somewhere here someone from SDL support suggested to use AutoSuggest instead of Concordance, but this is an extra software not included in the standard package (again, talking about 2009 here).

Good luck,
Matthias

[Edited at 2014-04-24 08:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-04-24 08:42 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can you send me an example? Apr 24, 2014

Hi Hannu,

Could you put together a short set of data so I can reproduce this issue? If I do this with a fresh TM it works for me so I'd like to try and see why this doesn't happen for you.

You're a trainer so I won't waste time with the obvious that I'm sure you've done.

Thanks

Paul
[email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance Search doesn't find the best match at all

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »