SDL Studio GroupShare Installation Support
Thread poster: ATB Translation
ATB Translation
ATB Translation
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 19, 2014

Please nobody tell me "I must contact support". Because we have already done it and they (local support) did their best (despite ever present cold shoulder of SDL staff).

This is not local SDL support's fault.

The thing is recently our company bought SDL Studio GroupShare 2014, to replace our SDL Studio GroupShare 2011 server. (That was another hard won case against all odds. We had to wait for a month before the installation problem was solved. That caused grea
... See more
Please nobody tell me "I must contact support". Because we have already done it and they (local support) did their best (despite ever present cold shoulder of SDL staff).

This is not local SDL support's fault.

The thing is recently our company bought SDL Studio GroupShare 2014, to replace our SDL Studio GroupShare 2011 server. (That was another hard won case against all odds. We had to wait for a month before the installation problem was solved. That caused great financial loss to us.)

Anyway, the local staff uninstalled the SDL Studio GroupShare 2011, attempted installing and the installer gave the following "Fatal Error".

Does anybody have any idea what this is:
http://www.atbtercume.com/fatal_Error_2.png

The problem is now we cannot install 2014 but also cannot downgrade to 2011, our system has been stuck and we cannot fulfill our translation obligations for fortnight. If our client cancels the job, that would be funny. Right?

The system is a i5 processor based 16 GB RAM machine hosting a Windows 2008 r2.

I shall do my best to solve this problem since this is weekend. If there is any people who can shed a light on this software error, I would be very glad!....

Gosh I hate .net and java. They are bug-ridden, insecure and promote this or that company's technology. Why are there not any decent programmers who actually use such hard coded technologies, as C, C++, Pascal, Fortran, etc. instead of interpreted languages such as .net and java?

Best Wishes,
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:15
English
A suggestion... Apr 21, 2014

... would be to run the installer again, without uninstalling anything and this may resolve the issue. It seems as though the installation is done but the application service does not start.

If this doesn't help please drop me an email, so I know who you are, and we can arrange for someone to take a look.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

ATB Translation
ATB Translation
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Half Good News Apr 21, 2014

Thanks to help by local support staff and fact that we formatted and reinstalled the system (i.e. OS), we could retrieve back our Groupshare 2011 installation, with little data loss. Financially it's a mess of course.

Now, we have to work double hard to make up/compensate last two weeks' loss. Now I am creating projects, as usual....

However I cannot mention about one piece of software which was vital in this solution: It was clonezilla, a linux based disk cloning livec
... See more
Thanks to help by local support staff and fact that we formatted and reinstalled the system (i.e. OS), we could retrieve back our Groupshare 2011 installation, with little data loss. Financially it's a mess of course.

Now, we have to work double hard to make up/compensate last two weeks' loss. Now I am creating projects, as usual....

However I cannot mention about one piece of software which was vital in this solution: It was clonezilla, a linux based disk cloning livecd. After installing the Windows 2008 R2 Server, I took an image of the vital parts, thereby we could manage to test almost a 100 solutions. When we break something I simply restore the partition and all is brand new again. (BTW, I am not exaggerating; I installed and reinstalled the Groupshare application so many times, I started dreaming about it, disrupting my peace of mind. Now I am celebrating with a bottle of scotch.... Yeah.)

Since I mentioned that I tried reinstalling it hundreds of times, that nullifies Paul's suggestion. (BTW, if I were in your shoes, I would obfuscate my email, (like pfilkin(at)sdl.com) posted on a board, since spam robots collect emails and that's why once I started receiving several hundred spam mails everyday. But I shall contact you when I sober up.)

Anyway the software piece (i.e. Groupshare 2014) has serious shortcomings:
1. IMHO (in my humble opinion) and as far as I observe, since it's not hardcoded software (i.e. not coded in c, c++, pascal, fortran, etc.) but rely on such volatile and bug-ridden, insecure quasi-programming languages as .net, java, any smallest change to .net, java VMs, etc. simply breaks the code. That's why, again IMHO, it acts strangely. (Dot Net is Micro and Soft's Wannabe Java. That's really it.)
2. Despite system requires a specific "locale" setting (i.e. English) on the server, the installation guide does not mention about that. After installing the server OS, the installer started giving strange and obscure errors such as "IIS not installed" (which is not true). (That's because locale of our OS is different from the requested locale, English. So I've been told.)
3. The process is not well documented. I mean, even a fully qualified system admin (which, despite I am not for Windoze domain, I am for linux (debian flavor) domain), could not find its way around. That's because, apart from being poorly documented, the error messages are cryptic and mostly not associated with the real cause of the error.
4. The installer requires different server/SQL configurations than stated in the Guide. That's really bad. Because, even the well qualified system admin (which our guy was), could not predict. SDL must consider the real solution of "Unattended Installation".

In order to -kinda- contribute the process, I shall post my findings and tips and tricks regarding the installation.

Now another problem is before me. It's a business decision:
I have so many translation projects. Consequently another two week disruption would be very bad not only for me but for my translators too. (I am a translator, by professions and I always look after my translators.)
The question is, is it possible to install this thing in a day on a platform and prerequisite software as stated in the guide????? (I mean I am told to buy SQL Server 2012 but the guide only recommends that if the file sizes are very large, which is not a case for us. Similarly I am also told to buy Windows 2012 Server. But that's not specified on the guide too. And I am told, "before" that somebody managed to install it on Windows 2008 Machine with SQL Express.)

If it's possible to do it so then I shall make an appointment with local support and they will help me do this.
However, if it's not possible, our company does not want to take this risk and has not an option but ask for refund and restitution of our 2011 licenses.

BTW, I am taking this opportunity to thank local support for their help.

Best Wishes,

[Edited at 2014-04-21 20:56 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I don't know who "Local Support" is (we have no support team in Turkey)... Apr 21, 2014

... but please feel free to drop me an email as previously suggested and we can have SDL Support take a look at this problem and try to help you.

Regards

Paul

ATB Translation
ATB Translation
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dropped the email Apr 23, 2014

Dear Paul,
As you reuested, i dropped an email to you through giveus(at)wetranslate.biz.
Looking forward to your reply...

Best Wishes

ATB Translation
ATB Translation
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved May 3, 2014

Dear Friends,
I would like to let you know that the server installation problem was solved last Thuesday. (I have been busy so I could not make a post about this.)

Thanks to efforts by Mr. Bogdan of SDL Support, we could finally manage to solve the problem. Apparently and as indicated by the recent service pack release of the Groupshare installation, for some reason the installation files not only failed to create the proper data files in SQL server but also gave misleading er
... See more
Dear Friends,
I would like to let you know that the server installation problem was solved last Thuesday. (I have been busy so I could not make a post about this.)

Thanks to efforts by Mr. Bogdan of SDL Support, we could finally manage to solve the problem. Apparently and as indicated by the recent service pack release of the Groupshare installation, for some reason the installation files not only failed to create the proper data files in SQL server but also gave misleading error message so only SDL personnel can tackle with, since they have insider knowledge.

I hope the installation problems have been solved with the latest service pack, and I am reluctant to test it to be honest. We have lost an enormous amount of project time and we are struggling to make up for the lost time. The good news is, client was understanding and we did not run into problems with them, YET.

I take this opportunity to thank to first our local SDL reseller and their personnel and then to Paul and other management staff and finally Bogdan. This would not be possible if he was not involved in this. I cannot express my gratitude towards him.

After this post, I shall make some recommendations regarding Groupshare installation, so people may avoid pitfalls or loss of time in future.

Best Wishes
Collapse

ATB Translation
ATB Translation
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recommendations to Avoid Pitfalls of a SDL Studio Groupshare Server System May 3, 2014

Dear Friends,
As promised in my previous post, I would like to share our experiences and humbly make some recommendations regarding the upgrade/installation of SDL Studio GroupShare product.

If you do a fresh install, you may or you may not have problems. However, since our problem was upgrading of the product I can only share our experiences regarding upgrading of the product.

Before upgrading, take backups not only of your data (in form of TMX or regular SQL dat
... See more
Dear Friends,
As promised in my previous post, I would like to share our experiences and humbly make some recommendations regarding the upgrade/installation of SDL Studio GroupShare product.

If you do a fresh install, you may or you may not have problems. However, since our problem was upgrading of the product I can only share our experiences regarding upgrading of the product.

Before upgrading, take backups not only of your data (in form of TMX or regular SQL database files) but also disk images of the partitions of your server box.

Since, as in our case, things may go south, you may recover your previous, working installation back, by recreating your partition back.

I used and recommend you an open source linux based LiveCD, called Clonezilla to take direct disk/partition images from the server box.

Since it's open source, no secret proprietary formats but good ol' plain hardisk image, compressed and split into 2GB files. Whenever you need, you may restore any partition even entire disks by yourselves.

Anyway since the system went bad after the failed installation, we performed a fresh Windows 2008 R2 install and started with re-installation of Groupshare 2011 system.

After taking this hard-learnt lesson, I immediately took an image of the main partition of the server box (a i7 based, 16 GB RAM Windows 2008 R2 server box), after the first successful re-installation of the previous Studio Groupshare 2011.

However, we only managed to work a few days and reattempted to install 2014, thanks to support by Bogdan we finally managed to install the system.

After successful install, I also took another image so even if we lose the system once more, we may revive it within half an hour.

Actually I would be very glad if SDL publish a much more extensive and detailed installation guide, other than the current one which outlines the install but does not provide much information.

I hope this helps our colleagues.

Best Wishes,

ATB
Collapse

Milos Kucik - TETRAS s.r.o.
Milos Kucik - TETRAS s.r.o.
Slovakia
Member (2003)
English to Slovak
+ ...
HW+SW upgrade Aug 7, 2014

Hello, has anyone some experience about, how to move DB from one system into another.
We have bought a new HW and SW. Our old Groupshare 2014 is installed on Win2008 and SQL 2008 but the new system runs on new PH server with Win2012 and SQL 2014. How can we move all the Data (structure, fields...) to the new machine. I was not been able to find info i the official SDL documentation.
Thanks

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
some initial hints Aug 8, 2014

Hi Milos,

It's difficult to give exact steps without knowing the exact version and components of GroupShare installed and if it's just the DB that moves or the whole system.
I would strongly advise you get in touch with SDL Support or your reseller to get tailored steps to your setup and not blindly follow the below as it's just a general response. Also our Professional Services team can execute these steps for you if necessary.

If you are just moving the DB:
... See more
Hi Milos,

It's difficult to give exact steps without knowing the exact version and components of GroupShare installed and if it's just the DB that moves or the whole system.
I would strongly advise you get in touch with SDL Support or your reseller to get tailored steps to your setup and not blindly follow the below as it's just a general response. Also our Professional Services team can execute these steps for you if necessary.

If you are just moving the DB:

1. Stop the services “SDL Application Service”, “SDL Execution Service”, “SDL MultiTerm Matrix Cache Service”

2. Backup all relevant databases and restore them to the new SQL Server. Typically this includes the following databses, although the names are freely definable by you, SDLSystem, MTMaster and all related termbases and TM Containers.

3. Change the values of “ConnectionString” (“DataSource=…”) on the GroupShare server each in the following registry keys to reflect the database server name change:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SDL\Platform\Connections\sdl.identity
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SDL\Platform\Connections\sdl.system
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SDL\Platform\Connections\sdl.translation
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SDL\Platform\Connections\sdl.project

4. Open the table [etm].[DatabaseServer] of the SDL Studio GroupShare system database (by default named [SDLSystem]) and change the relevant values under the [ServerName] column appropriately.

5. Launch the “SDL GroupShare Console” application

6. Go to “Console Root > Database”.

7. Make sure the changes are applied.

8. Restart the services.

Thanks,
Luis Lopes
SDL Product Manager
Collapse

ATB Translation
ATB Translation
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback and Recommendation on SDL Studio Groupshare 2014 (Maintenance Related) Jul 6, 2015

Dear Friends,
I would like to share my experiences about SDL Studio Groupshare 2014.
Since some background maintenance tasks of SDL GS2014 got stuck in last August, SDL GS2014 stopped performing automatic maintenance last year!...
Another bad symptom of this is: since the maintenance task que is full (because it is stuck), the system was not performing the maintenance tasks and all normal and fuzzy indexes were extremely fragment over a period of almost a year!...
... See more
Dear Friends,
I would like to share my experiences about SDL Studio Groupshare 2014.
Since some background maintenance tasks of SDL GS2014 got stuck in last August, SDL GS2014 stopped performing automatic maintenance last year!...
Another bad symptom of this is: since the maintenance task que is full (because it is stuck), the system was not performing the maintenance tasks and all normal and fuzzy indexes were extremely fragment over a period of almost a year!...
In addition the system accepts the reindex and reorganize commands but does not perform them since, you guessed it, the task que is full (stuck).

Since we haven't bought support, we could not solve the problem, until recently.
I would like to share my solution with you, so anybody who experiences a similar problem, can benefit from it.

Here is how I fixed it: (I AND MY COMPANY DISCLAIM ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGES, IF YOU CHOOSE TO APPLY THIS FIX).
On Server Machine (Which runs W2008+SQLExpress2012), I opened SQL Server 2012 Management Studio. After connecting the database, I manually rebuild all fragmented indexes (by rightclicking on the index and clicking rebuild on popup menu). Although time consuming, this operation greatly enchanced performance of the database.
As for the stuck tasks, I found out that the tasks are kept at the system DB in the svc.WorkItem table. When I manually deleted the scheduled tasks (from the table), system started functioning in a normal way.
Now when I do a TM maintenance, system now performs the maintenance.

I hoe this helps someone!...

Best Wishes
Collapse

ATB Translation
ATB Translation
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a place to file a bug report for SDL Studio Groupshare? Jul 6, 2015

Dear Friends,
We have a 10 CAL TM and 10 CAL MT licenses for SDL Studio Groupshare.

However, when, SAY, only 4 translators connect to the system, Groupshare web interface show 4 used TM CAL licenses but NOT 4 but all (i.e. 10) MT CALS seems consumed!...

Apparently this is a bug!... While a translator occupies only a single TM CAL, s/he seems to occupy more than one MT CALS.

This greatly cripples the Termbase performance of the SDL Groups
... See more
Dear Friends,
We have a 10 CAL TM and 10 CAL MT licenses for SDL Studio Groupshare.

However, when, SAY, only 4 translators connect to the system, Groupshare web interface show 4 used TM CAL licenses but NOT 4 but all (i.e. 10) MT CALS seems consumed!...

Apparently this is a bug!... While a translator occupies only a single TM CAL, s/he seems to occupy more than one MT CALS.

This greatly cripples the Termbase performance of the SDL Groupshare and SDL Trados Studio!...

I would be very grateful if somebody points me in the right direction to file a bug report for this!...

Best Wishes
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No need to file a bug... Jul 6, 2015

... because as you already mentioned "apparently it's a bug" so we know it and I'm sure this has been resolved already. However, perhaps you can resolve the problem using this KB Article?

Regards<
... See more
... because as you already mentioned "apparently it's a bug" so we know it and I'm sure this has been resolved already. However, perhaps you can resolve the problem using this KB Article?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio GroupShare Installation Support

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »