Can TRADOS centrally count the users' word counts?
Thread poster: Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Vietnam
Local time: 00:57
Apr 16, 2014

Hi all,

My TRADOS version is SDL Trados Studio 2014 Professional - 11.0.3709.0, and I mainly work with xml files (sometimes Java properties files)

My question is: currently I have a lot of projects on our internal LAN network, and a lot of users using TRADOS and translate directly there. They can freely choose what they will translate inside this "pool" of work. I just want to know if, as a Project Manager, can I count the words they have translated within a day (or a w
... See more
Hi all,

My TRADOS version is SDL Trados Studio 2014 Professional - 11.0.3709.0, and I mainly work with xml files (sometimes Java properties files)

My question is: currently I have a lot of projects on our internal LAN network, and a lot of users using TRADOS and translate directly there. They can freely choose what they will translate inside this "pool" of work. I just want to know if, as a Project Manager, can I count the words they have translated within a day (or a week/ a month, etc.). I know inside TRADOS there is a word count function, however if many people participate in the same project then it's very hard to distinguish how many words are from user A and how many are from user B. Is it possible to count then?

I know my situation is kinda weird but I hope you can have a solution. Thank you very much.

BR, Jeff
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:57
English
Not too simple... Apr 16, 2014

... in the scenario you portray.

Maybe take the wordcount reports from the translators machines. If you get the reports from their machines based on the files they have translated then you will know.

Or, keep a record of the files they translate and take the analysis off the machine controlling the Project.

Or, use Post-Edit Compare (OpenExchange application) where you can take a snapshot of the Project at the start, and then every time you get updated fil
... See more
... in the scenario you portray.

Maybe take the wordcount reports from the translators machines. If you get the reports from their machines based on the files they have translated then you will know.

Or, keep a record of the files they translate and take the analysis off the machine controlling the Project.

Or, use Post-Edit Compare (OpenExchange application) where you can take a snapshot of the Project at the start, and then every time you get updated files from a Translator. You can then create a report on the differences between any two snapshots showing you the work carried out. In fact if the translators work with tracked changes on then the reports in Post-Edit will also show you who changed each segment.

This would be easier to manage with SDL GroupShare because the Translators would be checking out the files to work on them so you would know who did each file and it's tracked. I'm not sure how much out of the box reporting is available on this but certainly more information is available about who did what. It would be worth talking to someone about SDL GroupShare for your scenario.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Vietnam
TOPIC STARTER
OpenExchange... Apr 18, 2014

Hi Paul,

Does the TRADOS Professional 2014 goes along with OpenExchange, or do we need to purchase it?

Because we're not professional translators, just use TRADOS to translate our products/marketing stuff, so it's not likely that we can buy another product such as GroupShare.

By the way, thank you for your sharing

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff_Nguyen
Jeff_Nguyen
Vietnam
TOPIC STARTER
I think... Apr 21, 2014

...I asked a stupid question. I just saw your mentioned program on OpenExchange (sorry, never used OE before

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can TRADOS centrally count the users' word counts?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »