Thread poster: Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:40
English to French
Apr 15, 2014

Hi all,

two friends are working on the same project, one using SDL Studio 2014, the other, Trados 7.

Half of the project has been processed using SDL Studio 2014, exported into a .tmx then imported into a Trados 7 TM.

The problem is: when the translator using Trados 7 opens a segment (knowing that it has already been translated), the segment opens as a "new unit", not as a translated one, seemingly because of a coding problem (when looking at translation u
... See more
Hi all,

two friends are working on the same project, one using SDL Studio 2014, the other, Trados 7.

Half of the project has been processed using SDL Studio 2014, exported into a .tmx then imported into a Trados 7 TM.

The problem is: when the translator using Trados 7 opens a segment (knowing that it has already been translated), the segment opens as a "new unit", not as a translated one, seemingly because of a coding problem (when looking at translation units in .txt, segments are filled with codes, maybe for special characters).

Does anyone have an idea of how to make TMs compatible?

Thank you very much in anticipation,
Mathieu.
Collapse

Simon Chen
Simon Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try this! Apr 16, 2014

1. Open your TMX in a TXT file.
2. In the first line, you will see < ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>, Delete the encoding="utf-8" and make it looks < ?xml version="1.0"?>, keep the last question mark.
3. Save the file as Unicode or UTF-16 coding (you can choose them under the file name box) . Then try to import it into Trados 2007.

Good luck!

Refer to
... See more
1. Open your TMX in a TXT file.
2. In the first line, you will see < ?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>, Delete the encoding="utf-8" and make it looks < ?xml version="1.0"?>, keep the last question mark.
3. Save the file as Unicode or UTF-16 coding (you can choose them under the file name box) . Then try to import it into Trados 2007.

Good luck!

Refer to: http://simoncfg.blog.163.com/blog/static/8844548720120510455976/
Collapse

Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:40
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 17, 2014

Thank you Simon,

that does not look to work though.

I imported the TMX, then exported to TXT and manually edited all "\rquote " occurrences, to replace with a single quote ('). Then I deleted the TM and reimported the edited TXT into a clean one.

That seems better now, though it did not resolve all of our problems.

The new one: we're working on a pretranslated document. Now when we open a segment, Trados logically says "New unit!" (as pretrans
... See more
Thank you Simon,

that does not look to work though.

I imported the TMX, then exported to TXT and manually edited all "\rquote " occurrences, to replace with a single quote ('). Then I deleted the TM and reimported the edited TXT into a clean one.

That seems better now, though it did not resolve all of our problems.

The new one: we're working on a pretranslated document. Now when we open a segment, Trados logically says "New unit!" (as pretranslated unit and unit in TM differ) and we have to use the "Get" command to retrieve the translation for each segment.

Is there a way to force the "Get" command when opening segments?

Thank you in anticipation.

Mathieu.
Collapse

DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:40
English to French
+ ...
one possible way of solving the SDL2014 to Trados 7 compatibility May 10, 2014

Sometimes a "bridge" will do the job. I often use Olifant (from Enlaso) to import and export TMX between versions, since I use both Trados and SDLX. At times, I also receive TMX from clients which have been done with other software and do not import "cleanly".

You can also make corrections to TMX files with Olifant and the search and replace is very good, but to be used with caution as always.

One caveat... save and save and save. It might crash, particularly on big fi
... See more
Sometimes a "bridge" will do the job. I often use Olifant (from Enlaso) to import and export TMX between versions, since I use both Trados and SDLX. At times, I also receive TMX from clients which have been done with other software and do not import "cleanly".

You can also make corrections to TMX files with Olifant and the search and replace is very good, but to be used with caution as always.

One caveat... save and save and save. It might crash, particularly on big files.

It's shareware, so it's free or you might want to contribute to its development if it helps you with your problem.

Naturally, SDLX will need to upgrade the TMX before use.

Please post here whether it solved your problem - it might help others.
Good luck,
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL2014 -> Trados 7 compatibility

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »