Kelly Venz
Kelly Venz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:07
Member (2010)
French to English
Mar 26, 2014

Dear all,

I know that this has been talked about on this site before, and I am one of the users who has been struggling to make Multiterm work with the latest java updates. I am running Windows 8.1, Trados 2014 and IE version 11.
After installing the last update to java version 7 update 51 I was unable to add or edit terms in my glossary when using Trados, which was very frustrating, esp. with large projects. I tried every suggestion on here and SDL's site to no avail. Then
... See more
Dear all,

I know that this has been talked about on this site before, and I am one of the users who has been struggling to make Multiterm work with the latest java updates. I am running Windows 8.1, Trados 2014 and IE version 11.
After installing the last update to java version 7 update 51 I was unable to add or edit terms in my glossary when using Trados, which was very frustrating, esp. with large projects. I tried every suggestion on here and SDL's site to no avail. Then today, I removed java from my system, loaded Trados, tried to add a term in my glossary, installed java through the multiterm window, and to my delight, everything worked! I found that if I put my security settings to high, and checked "activate java in the broweser" box, everthing worked perfectly as long as I did not give IE permission to use java when I launched an IE window. If I clicked on "yes" when I loaded IE, then I would be back to square one- which meant uninstalling Java, reinstalling through Trados etc etc. Going into my IE settings and "reversing" the process would not work either- the only option was to fully uninstall java via my control panel.

I tried this several times, and found out that if I tried to install java through IE directly, it would not work, I had to install it through my mutliterm window, which is an interesting quirk.

So here is my problem: it seems that I can only have java in one or the other (trados or IE, I haven't even tried with my other browers yet). Why is this so? Is there a work around or solution that will let me use java in both?

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.

Kelly
Collapse

Kelly Venz
France
Member (2010)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Anyone? Apr 18, 2014

I am coming back to my post since there is a new java update, and would like to know if someone has experienced the same problem as me before I update java again.

Thanks

Kelly

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I updated Apr 18, 2014

I have had similar problems but everything was working pretty well. Yesterday, however, my MultiTerm told me there was a new Java update and I installed it (through MultiTerm, like you did). And so far, so good. Things are work smoothly so I assume this update does not have issues.
Eileen

EJZ
EJZ
Polish to English
+ ...
Same problem with Java 7 update 55 under Vista (Studio 2014) Apr 18, 2014

Virtually almost every Java update causes MultiTerm 2014 under Vista to stop adding terms as long as the update is installed through a browser or Java updater. It's no different with the current update 55.
Luckily the solution you posted (thanks!) works every time.
Let me sum it up for beginners:
If MT stops adding terms:
1. close Trados Studio
2. uninstall all Java versions in Control Panel
3. restart computer
4. start Trados Studio
5. try adding
... See more
Virtually almost every Java update causes MultiTerm 2014 under Vista to stop adding terms as long as the update is installed through a browser or Java updater. It's no different with the current update 55.
Luckily the solution you posted (thanks!) works every time.
Let me sum it up for beginners:
If MT stops adding terms:
1. close Trados Studio
2. uninstall all Java versions in Control Panel
3. restart computer
4. start Trados Studio
5. try adding terms to get MT to suggest Java installation
6. install Java through MT (confirm download in the MT window)
Bang! - MT works again

Eryk
Collapse

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Java console Apr 19, 2014

I've updated Java to 7.55 using the option from within the Java console and haven't encountered any problems with Studio 2014. Also, my security setting is High.
good luck!

Kelly Venz
France
Member (2010)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2014 and IE Apr 22, 2014

Thank you everyone for your comments, glad to know that I am not the only one having this strange problem!

The remaining issue for me is enabling java in my internet browsers- as previously mentioned, if I enable java in my browsers then Multiterm does not work correctly anymore, and now every time I want to surf the internet I get an annoying "enable java?" prompt. For the moment, I click "no". Also, for certain websites and some of my other applications, they refuse to work corr
... See more
Thank you everyone for your comments, glad to know that I am not the only one having this strange problem!

The remaining issue for me is enabling java in my internet browsers- as previously mentioned, if I enable java in my browsers then Multiterm does not work correctly anymore, and now every time I want to surf the internet I get an annoying "enable java?" prompt. For the moment, I click "no". Also, for certain websites and some of my other applications, they refuse to work correctly because I have not enabled java.

Has anyone come up with a workaroud so that java works correctly in both Multiterm and IE/Chrome etc?

Thanks again for your input!

Kelly
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 and Java version 7 Update 51

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »