Alignment Penalty in Studio 2014
Thread poster: foremonly
foremonly
foremonly
Member (1970)
Feb 20, 2014

I have a legacy TM that I have updated with new translations by aligning the documents with WinAlign. The .tmx from WinAlign was imported into the Studio TM. When I pretranslated my files against the TM, the 100% matches were showing up as 99% matches due to an alignment penalty. I checked my settings and realized that this feature had added to Studio and was defaulted at 1. The strange thing is that there is absolutely no documentation from SDL about this feature. I have other TMs which have be... See more
I have a legacy TM that I have updated with new translations by aligning the documents with WinAlign. The .tmx from WinAlign was imported into the Studio TM. When I pretranslated my files against the TM, the 100% matches were showing up as 99% matches due to an alignment penalty. I checked my settings and realized that this feature had added to Studio and was defaulted at 1. The strange thing is that there is absolutely no documentation from SDL about this feature. I have other TMs which have been updated with tmx files from WinAlign and 100% matches populate without applying the alignment penalty. The project settings are exactly the same.

When is this alignment penalty applied?
How can I make sure this penalty is applied for documents aligned using the 2014 automatic Align tool but not for documents aligned manually using WinAlign?
Why is this penalty applied with some TMs and project and not for others even though the project settings are the same between all projects/TMs?

If someone can provide more insight on this problem, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:26
English
Introduced in 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Hi,

It’s looking for this in the legacy TM:

creationid="ALIGN!"

So when you align the files in WinAling you can choose to enter your own creationID. Enter anything else and then you’ll get 100% matches in the upgraded TMX instead of 99%.

If you want to use your existing winaligned TMX then just search and replace the creation ID with something else.. So change this:

creationid="ALIGN!"

to

creationid=
... See more
Hi,

It’s looking for this in the legacy TM:

creationid="ALIGN!"

So when you align the files in WinAling you can choose to enter your own creationID. Enter anything else and then you’ll get 100% matches in the upgraded TMX instead of 99%.

If you want to use your existing winaligned TMX then just search and replace the creation ID with something else.. So change this:

creationid="ALIGN!"

to

creationid="foremonly"

Or something like that.

But you are right, I think we missed documenting this, and the fact that we now place a penalty on aligned TMs from WinAlign by default. I guess this is because of the integrated alignment tool.

We’ll document that, at least in a KB article, but I will also inform our technical writers to add this to the online help.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Cecilia Armand-Ugon
Cecilia Armand-Ugon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Creation ID when Aligning May 21, 2015

Paul,
thanks for your support.
Now the question is: how do I change the creation ID?

Regards,
Cecilia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment Penalty in Studio 2014

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »