Anna Wiman
Anna Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:25
German to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2014

Hello everybody,

I have a frustrating problem with trying to update from External review.

I exported a translated xliff-file for external review to a proofreader.
The proofreader has proofread the file in Word (.review). I am trying to update from external review to get the changes into the xliff-file, but it does not work, I get an error message:

"Problem when merging content of segment 1".

I have exported and imported review files many,
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have a frustrating problem with trying to update from External review.

I exported a translated xliff-file for external review to a proofreader.
The proofreader has proofread the file in Word (.review). I am trying to update from external review to get the changes into the xliff-file, but it does not work, I get an error message:

"Problem when merging content of segment 1".

I have exported and imported review files many, many times and I've never had a problem. What is going on? How can I solve this?

Thank you in advance,

Anna Wiman
Collapse

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Did these steps help? Jan 29, 2014

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229291-cannot_import_docx_after_external_review_trados_2011_sp2.html

I know from experience that Studio 2011 didn't like Word 2013. If you opened the exported file there and tried to import it back into Trados, then lo
... See more
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229291-cannot_import_docx_after_external_review_trados_2011_sp2.html

I know from experience that Studio 2011 didn't like Word 2013. If you opened the exported file there and tried to import it back into Trados, then look no further:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229291-cannot_import_docx_after_external_review_trados_2011_sp2.html#1988764
Collapse

Haluk Aka, Chartered Linguist (MCIL)

Anna Wiman
Anna Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using Word 2010 Jan 29, 2014

Hello Mark,

thanks for your reply! I'm afraid this can't be the problem. I am using Word 2010, as is the team working with these translations: my translation colleague and the proofreader. So it ought to be something else... I have exported and imported more than a dozen files the last weeks and this problem comes very sudden and unexpected. Very strange.

Best,

Anna

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:25
French to English
+ ...
Same problem recently with a .doc file Jan 29, 2014

Gave up after the third import attempt. I could see nothing wrong with Segment 1.
In the end, I applied the changes manually, as I didn't care to waste any more time on that issue.

It would be interesting to know why this happens.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A common reason for this problem... Jan 29, 2014

Anna Wiman wrote:

Hello Mark,

thanks for your reply! I'm afraid this can't be the problem. I am using Word 2010, as is the team working with these translations: my translation colleague and the proofreader. So it ought to be something else... I have exported and imported more than a dozen files the last weeks and this problem comes very sudden and unexpected. Very strange.

Best,

Anna

... is that the word document is emailed out, and then the recipient opens it directly from Outlook as opposed to saving it to the hard drive first. I have no idea why this causes a problem, but it does seem to. Perhaps it’s worth checking the process? It won't help this time around as you already have the file. So the workaround might be to create a new export, copy the contents of the target column in the one that was reviewed, then paste it into your new review document. Now import the new one.

That may help.

Regards

Paul

Matthew Chen (X)
Matthew Chen (X)
United States
Local time: 11:25
Japanese to English
I have seen this problem many times... Jan 29, 2014

as a PM. I can confirm that Paul's workaround does work.

There are a few things that can cause this problem.
1. The proofreader has opened the file in Word 2003 or older. Doing so "breaks" the file structure that is necessary for the Import to work. (I know you said that your proofreader used 2010, but this could help others.
2. The proofreader has removed file properties by "inspecting" the Word file. Many linguists do this in order to remove their names from files, so
... See more
as a PM. I can confirm that Paul's workaround does work.

There are a few things that can cause this problem.
1. The proofreader has opened the file in Word 2003 or older. Doing so "breaks" the file structure that is necessary for the Import to work. (I know you said that your proofreader used 2010, but this could help others.
2. The proofreader has removed file properties by "inspecting" the Word file. Many linguists do this in order to remove their names from files, so it happened a lot.
Collapse

Fernán González
Fernán González  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the workaround Feb 10, 2016

Came here through Google and I can confirm too that Paul's workaround works, thanks a lot!

I hope however that SDL works on fixing this issue if it's something known and seems to be quite common with a lot of posts with this issue, specially considering the price of licenses and upgrades.

Fernán González
Fernán González  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish
+ ...
Same error Feb 11, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

... is that the word document is emailed out, and then the recipient opens it directly from Outlook as opposed to saving it to the hard drive first. I have no idea why this causes a problem, but it does seem to. Perhaps it’s worth checking the process? It won't help this time around as you already have the file. So the workaround might be to create a new export, copy the contents of the target column in the one that was reviewed, then paste it into your new review document. Now import the new one.

That may help.

Regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

Just wanted to let you know that I told one of my revisors know about this and he was very careful to do this as instructed, however, we had the same problem. Please let me know if you need any more specific information so that this can be fixed.

Best regards,

Fernán

Anaïs Thieuleux
Anaïs Thieuleux  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Problem with merging content of segment 1 Jun 20, 2016

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem with Trados 2015. I tried the two solutions but they don't work, the error message always pops up.

I use Word 2016.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Anaïs

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 23:25
English to German
+ ...
The problem is Studio. Jun 21, 2016

I just had the problem with one project and review files from two different reviewers. With none of these reviewers has this problem appeared before.

Solving it is easy - just download the SDLXLIFF Converter app from OpenExchange and use that to do the import.
Studio's internal import function is just buggy and not very robust.

Brie Vernier
Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Another workaround Jul 15, 2016

I have encountered this problem frequently (using Studio 2011 and Word 2010) just from exporting the file for external review, opening it myself, making changes, saving it again, and trying to update from external review. What works for me is this:

1. Save my amended file [file returned from reviewer) under a different name (or in a different folder).
2. Export the original file for review a second time, with the original name and in the original location.
3. Open both
... See more
I have encountered this problem frequently (using Studio 2011 and Word 2010) just from exporting the file for external review, opening it myself, making changes, saving it again, and trying to update from external review. What works for me is this:

1. Save my amended file [file returned from reviewer) under a different name (or in a different folder).
2. Export the original file for review a second time, with the original name and in the original location.
3. Open both exported files.
4. Copy and paste the Target column from my amended (reviewed) document over the Target column of the re-exported file.
5. Save the re-exported file again and update from external review.

It can be a bit of a hassle, but it seems to always do the trick.

Cheers--

Brie
Collapse

Tanya Malkova
Tanya Malkova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Have just got it, too. Partially resolved. May 2, 2017

I have just got this problem.
The other day I loaded an edited file in the target language back into SDL without any problems, I got it back in SDL in the track changes mode. I did it just to see if it works, actually.
Today I edited the translation of another document, again myself, in the bilingual form intended for external editing, and here it was. Copying the edited column into a newly saved bilingual file for external editing did not help, even via copying into Excel (this seem
... See more
I have just got this problem.
The other day I loaded an edited file in the target language back into SDL without any problems, I got it back in SDL in the track changes mode. I did it just to see if it works, actually.
Today I edited the translation of another document, again myself, in the bilingual form intended for external editing, and here it was. Copying the edited column into a newly saved bilingual file for external editing did not help, even via copying into Excel (this seemed to have helped me once in the past).
But when I copied all cells except for cells 1 and 2 (which are the Target Segment cell and Segment 1 as such), SLD accepted it. However, all the codes were converted into the number format ( < pt98 > < /pt98 >, etc.) and bookmarkends turned into codes, too, so I had to copy them manually into the target segments - after that it was possible to save the target version and open it in Word, where I removed the codes and changed the font to italic where it was necessary. The process took about 2 extra hours, but copying all revisisons manually back into SDL would have taken just as long.

Next time I will prefer not to risk my time using the version for external editing, probably.

[Редактировалось 2017-05-02 11:57 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-05-02 11:58 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-05-02 11:59 GMT]
Collapse

Nadja B Batdorf
Nadja B Batdorf  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It worked!!! Jul 2, 2017

Henning Holthusen wrote:

I just had the problem with one project and review files from two different reviewers. With none of these reviewers has this problem appeared before.

Solving it is easy - just download the SDLXLIFF Converter app from OpenExchange and use that to do the import.
Studio's internal import function is just buggy and not very robust.

I was having this same issue with Trados 2017 and Henning solution works amazingly!
Thank you so much!

Ignacio C.
Ignacio C.  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:25
Member (2016)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Paul's solution saved me some hours! Sep 8, 2017

Just had this problem with Trados 2017. Copied and Paste as advised by Paul and it worked just fine.

(I've even compared that with a new .review file to make sure every change was reflected)

Since this is actually an adaptation from PTBR to PTEU, there are hundreds of changes.
This solution acutally saved me some valuable hours to apply them manually.

Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011: Problem when merging content of segment 1

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »