Studio 2014: How to start typing in the target with the same font as the source ?
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 09:33
Italian to German
+ ...
Nov 6, 2013

Hi,

I had this problem already in Studio 2009 and Studio 2011, I've been using DVX2 for a longer time, so I don't recall.
In the training videos, e.g. "Translating single documents", one can cleary see that when you start typing in an empty target segment the font style and size immediately fits to the basic source text.
This is not working for me with empty segments, only if a fuzzy match is inserted, or if I copy source to target and start typing over.
While I un
... See more
Hi,

I had this problem already in Studio 2009 and Studio 2011, I've been using DVX2 for a longer time, so I don't recall.
In the training videos, e.g. "Translating single documents", one can cleary see that when you start typing in an empty target segment the font style and size immediately fits to the basic source text.
This is not working for me with empty segments, only if a fuzzy match is inserted, or if I copy source to target and start typing over.
While I understand that you have to adapt special font changes like bolt, underline etc., I cant' believe that you have to use Quickplace every time to just fit the *basic document font* in every and every segment again losing a lot of time...

Thanks anyone to tell me what settings have to be done in Studio to overcome this !

Cheers,
Mike
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just downloaded it two days ago... Nov 6, 2013

Let me give my disclaimer first, I only downloaded trados (my first CAT tool) two days ago. I've run into the same problem, but all I did was leave the font tags out and changed it in the final document.

I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but it might help save you some time until someone with more experience can give you a better answer.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Nov 6, 2013

thanks for your input, Triston, but I believe this can only be done for simple documents like not heavily formatted Word docs or similar, surely not with HTML or else.
My only workaround for the moment is to insert all source text at the start and typing over, which is good - but sometimes only - for a lot of tagged segments with acronyms etc.

Mike

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Work with formatting tags showing... Nov 6, 2013

... if you have this problem. If the underlying format of the file is the same then it's not necessary but if the author set the font in the source file on each segment this happens then the problem is there are tags there and you have to use them.

If you work with formatting tags always displayed you'll see immediately what the issue is... but try pressing Ctrl+Shift+H to display the formatting tags when you have this problem and then you'll see why this happens.

I be
... See more
... if you have this problem. If the underlying format of the file is the same then it's not necessary but if the author set the font in the source file on each segment this happens then the problem is there are tags there and you have to use them.

If you work with formatting tags always displayed you'll see immediately what the issue is... but try pressing Ctrl+Shift+H to display the formatting tags when you have this problem and then you'll see why this happens.

I believe Studio is probably working correctly here... although if you don't think so please send me the file and I'll happily take a look?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mystery revealed... PDF conversion... Nov 7, 2013

Hello Paul,
nice to hear from you after this longer time.
My initial post may look like a complaint, but this is not intended, quite the contrary, I'm presently trying Studio 2014 before considering to upgrade and I'm rather impressed by the new features, especially the engine speed.

So, I was doing a test project with a nicely structured Word 2003 doc, but I now realize that it was converted from PDF format long time ago, and as you say, most sentences are set as for th
... See more
Hello Paul,
nice to hear from you after this longer time.
My initial post may look like a complaint, but this is not intended, quite the contrary, I'm presently trying Studio 2014 before considering to upgrade and I'm rather impressed by the new features, especially the engine speed.

So, I was doing a test project with a nicely structured Word 2003 doc, but I now realize that it was converted from PDF format long time ago, and as you say, most sentences are set as for the formatting.
Thanks to recall me the shortcut CTRL-SHIFT-H: I see now that my 'problem' (which isn't one) occurs on every sentence starting with the CF> tag. There are however other sentences not starting with such a tag and they don't produce different fonts in the target.

In native Word docs there would be no such problems, I guess.

Thanks a lot for your intervention,
Greets,
Mike

P.S.
For the support team: During my test with Studio 2014, the 2 following things came to my attention:

- Auto-Concordance will not work any more after filtering segments with the drop-down list, and resetting the filters; you'll have to re-open the document. (v. 11.0.3636)

- Enabling the last Option in the list about the Java Engine will probably solve problems with Multiterm not working properly during insertion of terms in Studio (see last post about this topic where I did respond).

[Edited at 2013-11-07 04:16 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
? Nov 7, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

I believe Studio is probably working correctly here... although if you don't think so please send me the file and I'll happily take a look?

It obviously isn't. When the whole source segment is the same font, Studio should automatically set that font for the target segment as well. In some cases, it fails to do that and the translator has to copy the source text to the target side and then overwrite it as a workaround. I'm sure this problem can be avoided if you switch to displaying all tags and place the tags manually, but a) that actually takes more time and b) that's not the point here. The wysiwyg mode should work correctly as well.
For me, this doesn't happen with every segment. Just with individual sentences every now and then. I'm guessing the reason is that there is some invisible/imaginary character at the beginning or end of the segment that Studio thinks doesn't have the same formatting as the rest of the sentence.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Send me the example... Nov 7, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

It obviously isn't. When the whole source segment is the same font, Studio should automatically set that font for the target segment as well. In some cases, it fails to do that and the translator has to copy the source text to the target side and then overwrite it as a workaround. I'm sure this problem can be avoided if you switch to displaying all tags and place the tags manually, but a) that actually takes more time and b) that's not the point here. The wysiwyg mode should work correctly as well.
For me, this doesn't happen with every segment. Just with individual sentences every now and then. I'm guessing the reason is that there is some invisible/imaginary character at the beginning or end of the segment that Studio thinks doesn't have the same formatting as the rest of the sentence.

... Farkas and then I can comment better. I do see your point, because normally if the tags encompass the entire sentence they are moved externally. If they don't then I imagine there is a good reason for this, and if there is not then I'd be interested to see it so we can either explain and/or resolve it.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Maybe Nov 7, 2013

I will post the next file that this occurs with. However, I don't translate that much these days so it could be a while before I bump into the issue.

Ahmad Salah
Ahmad Salah
Egypt
Big problem,,, need heeeeeeeeeelp !!! Apr 18, 2014

I start using SDL Trados 2014, and I face a big problem:
Font adaption doesn't work for me, that means I set a specific font for Arabic language, but when I begin to write in target language default font appears !!!
This problem isn't exist in Term search or concordance search,,,
Is anybody have a solution for this disturbing problem ???
Thanks in advance
Ahmad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: How to start typing in the target with the same font as the source ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »