Germany
Local time: 19:35
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I'm serious Oct 17, 2013

Jon Hedemann wrote:

efreitag wrote:

Just a side remark: I can't help but wonder why people haven't learnt anything from past experience with SDL. It's a bad idea to install a new software product from SDL before the first service packs are out.

Sorry, but I cannot take a comment like this seriously...
Alpha/Beta testing of ANY software product should have weeded out most of these VERY obvious bugs and shortcomings

Yes, of course, only in the case of SDL, it usually hasn't.

I'm not saying that's the way it should be.

mirekk
mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Persistent... Oct 17, 2013

..."System Out of Memory Exception", even with small files

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
32bit or 64bit Oct 18, 2013

Hi Mirekk,

There are limitations to 32bit OSes (especially XP, 7 to a lesser extent) that limit the amount of RAM that can be accessed.

On 64bit Windows 7 or higher, Out of Memory exceptions should not occur anymore.

Cheers,
Luis

Jon Hedemann
Jon Hedemann  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Upgrade Oct 18, 2013

mirekk wrote:

..."System Out of Memory Exception", even with small files

Upgrade your system. 1,000 USD should be enough.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:35
English to Russian
what people like in Studio 2014 has fewer Oct 18, 2013

Because there is nothing to like. Even the features I could suppositionally like have already been implemented in other CATs with greater efficiency. SDL proudly presents now what was invented by others long time ago. When they talk about rapidity, laughter is what I can only emit. Just try to add a new term... Why for other CATs it takes fractions of a second for the same task that SDL performs in 30 seconds? rapidity...

[Edited at 2013-10-18 09:25 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 01:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Other random issues and suggestions for SDL Oct 20, 2013

I'd like to ask for a few things if possible at all?

- When i select superscript, bold and any other type of formatting related to text changes...those options can be activated but can't be DEACTIVATED. This means that if i activate superscript...the line will keep going in that format forever unless i do tricks. This is the same for bold etc. Is that me doing something wrong or is it a bug? If so...any chance to fix it? IT's very time consuming, for example in formulas or other thi
... See more
I'd like to ask for a few things if possible at all?

- When i select superscript, bold and any other type of formatting related to text changes...those options can be activated but can't be DEACTIVATED. This means that if i activate superscript...the line will keep going in that format forever unless i do tricks. This is the same for bold etc. Is that me doing something wrong or is it a bug? If so...any chance to fix it? IT's very time consuming, for example in formulas or other things that require BOLD, ITALIC etc.

- Symbols, special characters (French and Italian accents also capitalized). Is it possible to simply add a table of those i can directly select them rather than ALT+XXX (which on a chinese keyboard also may change things quite a bit as, at least in my case, correspondences are never the standard ones on my PC). Apart from that, remembering every single ALT+ combination is pure madness.

- When accessing projects created with FOLDERS rather than files, and i select a project folder to translate i don't seem to have a BACK button taking me back to the main PROJECT ROOT DIRECTORY (The one showing me all folders containing the TTXs to be translated. Again, is that me doing something wrong or this is something missing?

- Question: Is there any way to have the MERGE view also for projects created with folders? (It means aggregating the view of all files contained inside different project folders in short). That would help a lot. Is that technically feasible?

Thanks in advance.

Enrico
Collapse

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Deactivation of formatting, eG., bold, underline Oct 20, 2013

This was also a problem in Studio 2011 and has been the subject of a number of complaints. It's unconscionable that the opportunity was'nt taken to correct it for 2014. I did note, however, that it was only a problem with *.docx whereas in 2011 they could be deactivated for *.doc source documents.

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
Solved it by myself Oct 22, 2013

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Hi Enrico,

I don't know if you can still access the File>Options>AutoSuggest feature without opening a project. If you can, try unchecking the Enable AutoSuggest checkbox to see if it solves your problem (for now).

AutoSuggest never works well for my language pair. I have been using Studio 2014 for a few days, but decided to disable the AutoSuggest feature this morning, because it made my cursor disappear from the screen.

This is just a wild guess. People from SDL should have a better idea/solution:)

Chun-yi

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Right now i am making time from work as Studio 2014 has decided to first stop working freezing my whole screen and upon restart it's stuck on "Updating autopropagation index".

I'd love to manage to deliver my last 5000 words by tomorrow as i have other stuff incoming

Paul F. any suggestions?

UPDATE: Confirming Studio 2014 has become unusable. Whatever project i open it gets stuck at "Updating autopropagation index".

If anyone from SDL could kindly come back to me and let me know how to fix this quick i'd be glad as i need to deliver my jobs by tomorrow. Maybe you can tell me where i can get that Index so that i remove it and maybe Studio will recreate one automatically?

Many thanks

Enrico

[Edited at 2013-10-15 12:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-16 06:02 GMT]

Hi Chun,

Did it in another way.
A) Moved the project to 2011, worked on it for like 10 mins (couldn't stop working anyway so the only choices were 2011 or moving it all on MemoQ)
B) Removed the whole project onto 2014
C) Problem gone!

That issue never showed anymore since then. I suspect something got corrupted during an AutoSave as Studio began to behave oddly while i was confirming a segment during an autosave.

But thanks for the suggestions...deeply appreciated. May experiment those if the problem shows again.

Regards

Enrico

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A few answers... Oct 22, 2013

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

- When i select superscript, bold and any other type of formatting related to text changes...those options can be activated but can't be DEACTIVATED. This means that if i activate superscript...the line will keep going in that format forever unless i do tricks. This is the same for bold etc. Is that me doing something wrong or is it a bug? If so...any chance to fix it? IT's very time consuming, for example in formulas or other things that require BOLD, ITALIC etc.

You need to use Clear Formatting. This is a consistent approach for all formatting for any filetype in Studio. It's this button here:

You can also use the keyboard shortcuts as you work. So Ctrl+spacebar deactivates. Clear All Formatting will remove all the tags in the segment.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

- Symbols, special characters (French and Italian accents also capitalized). Is it possible to simply add a table of those i can directly select them rather than ALT+XXX (which on a chinese keyboard also may change things quite a bit as, at least in my case, correspondences are never the standard ones on my PC). Apart from that, remembering every single ALT+ combination is pure madness.

Sounds like a useful enhancement... but perhaps you can use the windows charmap table for the same thing?

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

- When accessing projects created with FOLDERS rather than files, and i select a project folder to translate i don't seem to have a BACK button taking me back to the main PROJECT ROOT DIRECTORY (The one showing me all folders containing the TTXs to be translated. Again, is that me doing something wrong or this is something missing?

I'm not sure I follow this Enrico. You do have the navigation pane on the left so can't you just click on the folder you want to go to?

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

- Question: Is there any way to have the MERGE view also for projects created with folders? (It means aggregating the view of all files contained inside different project folders in short). That would help a lot. Is that technically feasible?

Click on Include Subfolders in the bottom of the navigation pane. Then you'll see all the files in one view from all the folders in the folder you select. So if you then click on the top level here you get all the files in all the folders:

Regards

Paul

Caroline Charlier
Caroline Charlier  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
Impossible to add new terms from the editor view into Multiterm Oct 22, 2013

Hi,
I also encounter some issues: when marking source and target term in the editor view and trying to add them into MT, nothing happens... I updated my Java version, but still, it doesn't work.

I'll have to come back to Studio 2011, sad, somehow. I expected much more than a new ribbon from 2014. (French quote are still not automatic in the editor, though Word does this for a while now, and it is not that much faster, on the contrary for the opening of Multiterm editor from t
... See more
Hi,
I also encounter some issues: when marking source and target term in the editor view and trying to add them into MT, nothing happens... I updated my Java version, but still, it doesn't work.

I'll have to come back to Studio 2011, sad, somehow. I expected much more than a new ribbon from 2014. (French quote are still not automatic in the editor, though Word does this for a while now, and it is not that much faster, on the contrary for the opening of Multiterm editor from the translation.)

Regards,
Caroline

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

This is a short informal list of small issues of usability (not bugs) i found in the MT interface of Studio 2014 inside Editor in particular.

1) Old problem still there. Can't remove terms from the Editor but need to have MT open on the side. Time eating, very time eating.
2) Linked to the above but also relating to MT as a standalone item. I'd like to be able to delete multiple terms at once and without the need to confirm each of them. Is this possible (Paul Filkin may give an answer to this, kindly)
3) When i set the MT interface in the Editor on "HIDE" and i click to add a new term the interface takes a long time to show and often disappear before i confirmed the term added (in short i can't click F12 because the window gets stuck at some point and when it starts moving again the "display time" has timed out already). This forced me to open the window manually and go click on F12. The reason why i am using HIDE and not the MT window displayed on a permanent basis is that i work on an 18" screen and i prefer more real estate for actual translating and concordance.
4) When i add a new term (regardless of the mode) for the first time after a period of time i didn't use the MT function, the procedure takes 30 to 40 seconds.

I think it's still Java delaying the CAT because for the rest the whole thing is very, very very fast. I am wondering if there is anything SDL can do to at least reduce the above issues.
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
Quick replies! Oct 23, 2013

[/quote]Paul wrote:
You need to use Clear Formatting. This is a consistent approach for all formatting for any filetype in Studio. It's this button here:

You can also use the keyboard shortcuts as you work. So Ctrl+spacebar deactivates. Clear All Formatting will remove all the tags in the segment.

Sounds fine. Will test and if i like it i promise i won't rant anymore about this.

Paul wrote:
Sounds like a useful enhancement... but perhaps you can use the windows charmap table for the same thing?

Sure i can. But what about making Studio a fully integrated, self contained environment that doesn't require external aids? You save us clicks etc. etc.
I mean, during one of my searches i bumped into this http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4314.html. Isn't that solution "primitive" compared to adding up a map of symbols/special chars you just click on and select what you want? (Like the one in MS Word, nothing too complicated). Also, adding a precooked charmap very much like the one in MS Word, you basically need to manually insert stuff into AutoText, which then becomes a tool to just add very very very strange characters you only see in some dead languages and maybe in some alien language we're still not aware of. for the time being a Symbol Icon that opens the broad horizons of symbols/special chars would do. And if SDL feels generous they can allow the community to also generate special chars sets to upload so that you get special sets for all needs and no one complains with SDL that special character doesn't exist in the precooked set.

Paul wrote:
I'm not sure I follow this Enrico. You do have the navigation pane on the left so can't you just click on the folder you want to go to?

You're right there. It's me dumb! But when you are not in SHOW SUBFOLDER mode, if you enter a folder then you can't go back to the main root. You have to A) Select projects from the lower menu (The one where you have termbases, editor etc.) and then B) re-enter the project and select another subfolder in the root. If you activate SHOW SUBFOLDER the issue doesn't show. However, if you are not in SHOW SUBFOLDER mode you don't have a button to go back to the root showing all folders for that project, at least that's what i saw from here.

Paul wrote:
Click on Include Subfolders in the bottom of the navigation pane. Then you'll see all the files in one view from all the folders in the folder you select. So if you then click on the top level here you get all the files in all the folders:

God bless you!

Since we're discussing improvements, can we discuss the possibility for MT to stop asking confirmations when you add/remove terms? It takes too many clicks. Can't we have an option that allows you to simply "click and forget" adding terms on the fly?
Like..i click CTRL+F2 and the term is automatically added on the fly and i can keep working rather than clicking F12 each time. All these confirmations steal a lot of time when you add many terms.

I'd like to hear your opinion on that.

Regards

Paul Patruno
Paul Patruno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:35
Member (2011)
English to French
Term recognition window is not correct Oct 23, 2013

Often times, terms just added to the termbase are ignored or not found and did not display in Term recognition window
How is that possible?
What do I need to do to see them?
Is it ANOTHER Java problem?

Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
What about optimizing the code? Oct 23, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Mirekk,

There are limitations to 32bit OSes (especially XP, 7 to a lesser extent) that limit the amount of RAM that can be accessed.

On 64bit Windows 7 or higher, Out of Memory exceptions should not occur anymore.

Cheers,
Luis

So far I know, well-known Out of Memory exceptions in Studio (I mean 2011, because I don't decided yet (because of lack of a trial) to upgrade to 2014) have not much to do with how many RAM you have onboard (see system recommendations of SDL), assuming, you have not less then 2/4 GB, but this is probably not the case by Mirekk. I'm working with Studio since early 2009, still on a PC with i7 processor, 12-16 GB RAM on Windows 64b and I have also experienced OME's.
I would suggest rather, SDL optimizes the code, so it can effectively use the available PC ressources.
Possibly this is resolved in 2014 - but I will not buy before I try (because of my experience with all releases since 2009 until 2011 SP2R).
Regards
WJ

rnunner
rnunner
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it is another Java problem Oct 23, 2013

PaulPatruno wrote:

Often times, terms just added to the termbase are ignored or not found and did not display in Term recognition window
How is that possible?

That a term is added (and shown as added) in Studio does not mean that the term is really added to the MutiTerm-base.
Therefore: make sure, looking in MultiTerm, that the terms you add are really added.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:35
English to Spanish
When Multiterm is simply determined to work against you Oct 23, 2013

PaulPatruno wrote:

Term recognition window is not correct

How is that possible?

And then, when you know the term exists in the termbase but does not appear in the term recognition window, if you, in order to beat Multiterm, which is so determined to work against you, against all logic and against all common sense, try to add the term again, Multiterm tells you that the term is already in the termbase and asks you if you want to add it anyway!

How come Multiterm tells you that the term is already in the termbase but at the same time it refuses to show it in the term recognition window?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »