Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:23
English to Italian
+ ...
Studio 2014 has become non responsive Oct 15, 2013

Right now i am making time from work as Studio 2014 has decided to first stop working freezing my whole screen and upon restart it's stuck on "Updating autopropagation index".

I'd love to manage to deliver my last 5000 words by tomorrow as i have other stuff incoming

Paul F. any suggestions?

UPDATE: Confirming Studio 2014 has become unusable. Whatever project i open it gets stuck at "Updatin
... See more
Right now i am making time from work as Studio 2014 has decided to first stop working freezing my whole screen and upon restart it's stuck on "Updating autopropagation index".

I'd love to manage to deliver my last 5000 words by tomorrow as i have other stuff incoming

Paul F. any suggestions?

UPDATE: Confirming Studio 2014 has become unusable. Whatever project i open it gets stuck at "Updating autopropagation index".

If anyone from SDL could kindly come back to me and let me know how to fix this quick i'd be glad as i need to deliver my jobs by tomorrow. Maybe you can tell me where i can get that Index so that i remove it and maybe Studio will recreate one automatically?

Many thanks

Enrico

[Edited at 2013-10-15 12:03 GMT]
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 12:23
English to Chinese
Disabling AutoSuggest as a temporary solution? Oct 16, 2013

Hi Enrico,

I don't know if you can still access the File>Options>AutoSuggest feature without opening a project. If you can, try unchecking the Enable AutoSuggest checkbox to see if it solves your problem (for now).

AutoSuggest never works well for my language pair. I have been using Studio 2014 for a few days, but decided to disable the AutoSuggest feature this morning, because it made my cursor disappear from the screen.

This is just a wild guess. Peo
... See more
Hi Enrico,

I don't know if you can still access the File>Options>AutoSuggest feature without opening a project. If you can, try unchecking the Enable AutoSuggest checkbox to see if it solves your problem (for now).

AutoSuggest never works well for my language pair. I have been using Studio 2014 for a few days, but decided to disable the AutoSuggest feature this morning, because it made my cursor disappear from the screen.

This is just a wild guess. People from SDL should have a better idea/solution:)

Chun-yi

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Paul F. any suggestions?

UPDATE: Confirming Studio 2014 has become unusable. Whatever project i open it gets stuck at "Updating autopropagation index".

If anyone from SDL could kindly come back to me and let me know how to fix this quick i'd be glad as i need to deliver my jobs by tomorrow. Maybe you can tell me where i can get that Index so that i remove it and maybe Studio will recreate one automatically?

Many thanks

Enrico

[Edited at 2013-10-15 12:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-16 06:02 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:23
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why do people upgrade so early? Oct 16, 2013

Just a side remark: I can't help but wonder why people haven't learnt anything from past experience with SDL. It's a bad idea to install a new software product from SDL before the first service packs are out.

Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already said why I upgraded Oct 16, 2013

I already said why I upgraded: discounted price for upgrading before the date of release.

Moreover, the fixes and service packs are released upon the complaints of us, the paying guinea pigs.

Furthermore, we can still use Trados Studio 2011.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
The good and the bad Oct 16, 2013

efreitag wrote:

I can't help but wonder why people haven't learnt anything from past experience with SDL

I've learnt from past experience that people are quicker to talk about bad experiences than good ones. So while this thread on bugs has 48 posts, another thread on what people like in Studio 2014 has fewer. It's in our nature, I'm afraid.

In my case, the new features of Studio 2014 far outweigh the bugs that are inevitably discovered when thousands of users install a new program.

You can of course wait until those bugs are ironed out, and there will be a sizeable group of Studio users who do that, or you can join the group of people who want to enjoy the new Studio 2014 in the meantime and are patient with the glitches. I fall into the second group.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 07:31 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Is Studio 2014 different than the first versions of 2009 or 2011 were? Oct 16, 2013

Dear Emma and DDG,

of course you're right there. I just wouldn't use a newly issued software for time critical projects, as some people seem to have done.

Anyway, did you install Studio 2009 and 2011 as soon as they came out? How do you think 2014 fares in terms of reliability and absence of bugs compared to its forebears, which at their time were very bug-ridden?

[Bearbeitet am 2013-10-16 07:42 GMT]

mirekk
mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
"Add new term" bug Oct 16, 2013

After pressing Add new term the TermBase window opens but that's it. No terms are added.
Another, more frequent, response of Studio 2014 is crashing down
Is there a fix or do I wait for SP?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
New software for time critical projects Oct 16, 2013

efreitag wrote:

I just wouldn't use a newly issued software for time critical projects, as some people seem to have done.

I quite agree, Erik. Work comes first. In fact, I wrote some step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade from 2011 to 2014, with an emphasis on how to do to avoid down time, and recommending not to do it if you're in the middle of a project.
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/03/upgrade/

Anyway, did you install Studio 2009 and 2011 as soon as they came out? How do you think 2014 fares in terms of reliability and absence of bugs compared to its forebears, which at their time were very bug-ridden?

Interesting question. I installed Studio 2009 as soon as it came out and agree it had major issues (memories of Ctrl+C not working come flooding back). I actually benefited from that in the long run because the communication with SDL was so good at this critical point that I jumped on the beta testing bandwagon for 2009 SP1 and haven't look back since.

I think Studio 2011 and 2014 are pretty equal in terms of reliability in their initial release. I haven't had any show-stopping issues with either.

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks! Oct 16, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I wrote some step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade from 2011 to 2014, with an emphasis on how to do to avoid down time, and recommending not to do it if you're in the middle of a project.
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/03/upgrade/

Thanks, Emma, much appreciated. I will follow your advice when I'm ready to take the plunge.

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I think Studio 2011 and 2014 are pretty equal in terms of reliability in their initial release. I haven't had any show-stopping issues with either.

Again, thanks for sharing you experiences!

rnunner
rnunner
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Row activation Oct 16, 2013

Strage problem with Studio 2014 (Editor view): the row is activated but in order to write in it, I must right-clic with the mouse everytime. The rest of features (copy souce to tarhget, etc.) do function without clicking. Before someones comes with the ‘stupid’ question: yes the box ‘enable implicit row activation’ is checked.

It seems that nobody else is experiencing this problem.

And, it was to be expected, the latest Java update is not compatible with MultiTe
... See more
Strage problem with Studio 2014 (Editor view): the row is activated but in order to write in it, I must right-clic with the mouse everytime. The rest of features (copy souce to tarhget, etc.) do function without clicking. Before someones comes with the ‘stupid’ question: yes the box ‘enable implicit row activation’ is checked.

It seems that nobody else is experiencing this problem.

And, it was to be expected, the latest Java update is not compatible with MultiTerm 2014 or 2011. What a pleasure!
Collapse

Pavel Janoušek
Pavel Janoušek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
Object reference not set to an instance of an object Oct 16, 2013

This cryptic error message is displayed when I remove all projects from the Projects list. To get rid of it, and to be able to close Studio, I have to add at least one project so that the list of projects is not empty.

Pavel Janoušek
Pavel Janoušek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
Multiterm 2014 / cannot add entries while working in Studio Oct 16, 2013

I have upgrated to the latest version of Java and set the security level to the lowest level possible ("medium"). Now it seems to work.

Jon Hedemann
Jon Hedemann  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended Oct 17, 2013

You should install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended. This solved a lot of issues with Studio 2014 for me. (link provided by SDL Trados Studio 2014 installation.)

Link to download:
http://dotnetsocial.cloudapp.net/GetDotnet?o1=.NETFramework,Version=v4.0

[Edited at 2013-10-17 08:48 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:23
English to Italian
+ ...
In my case.... Oct 17, 2013

efreitag wrote:

Just a side remark: I can't help but wonder why people haven't learnt anything from past experience with SDL. It's a bad idea to install a new software product from SDL before the first service packs are out.

I like to be an early birder! I like to play with the toy as soon as it's out. I know very well that SDL sends out what i call Betas (They may have different opinions). I take them as they are and i even manage to keep working and delivering with them. Of course, each new release is a source of pain and rants of various nature from my side.
I'll upgrade quick next time too unless they disappoint me to the level that leave the platform altogether!
However, my 2011 is actually working better than 2014 at the moment

Jon Hedemann
Jon Hedemann  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Cannot take a comment like this seriously.. Oct 17, 2013

efreitag wrote:

Sorry, but I cannot take a comment like this seriously...
Alpha/Beta testing of ANY software product should have weeded out most of these VERY obvious bugs and shortcomings... It should be left up to the end user to do this on the software manufacturer's behalf!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »