Thread poster: Daniel Grigoras
Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 20:57
English to Italian
+ ...
Alignment - Suggestions Oct 4, 2013

I have been using the aligning function and would like to suggest some improvements based on the short experience.

The problem:
I may have long alignments that need checking. So the work session during segment check may be split in more sessions and i may get paid by the hour. What is happening now is that if i stop working today and tomorrow i get back to that newly created tm i may forget which segment i was at and this forces me to restart (It actually happened).
... See more
I have been using the aligning function and would like to suggest some improvements based on the short experience.

The problem:
I may have long alignments that need checking. So the work session during segment check may be split in more sessions and i may get paid by the hour. What is happening now is that if i stop working today and tomorrow i get back to that newly created tm i may forget which segment i was at and this forces me to restart (It actually happened).

Suggestion: If Studio doesn't have it, can you please add a sort of marking option that allows you to restart from where you stopped the last time? Is that feasible? Also just adding one colour to the segment would do.

The problem: If i markup segments for deletion and then delete them, instead of restarting from where i deleted the segments i am taken back to the beginning of the newly aligned TM. This is not really practical.

Suggestion: Can you do in such a way after deletion of segments we get back to the point we left instead of being brought back to the beginning of the TM?

Thanks

Enrico
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:57
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Uppercase/lowercase bug in first letter of display filter Oct 4, 2013

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

When adding some word in the filter field (Review Ribbon) sometimes capitalization doesn't work.

For example: I try to insert "TV" (Capitalized) but i get "tV". This is consistent and won't change. However, if i insert any other letter filter will work properly. I have also tried to use caps lock and type T inside the field and it will still come up small instead of capitalized.

I can confirm this behaviour. I've been trying to filter by "CI" (uppercase) and Studio changes the first letter to lowercase.
The temporary solution is to type any first letter and then what you are searching for (e.g., xCI) and then delete the first letter. The search then works correctly.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I've seen the same thing Oct 4, 2013

Same bug here with uppercase issues in the filter. Thanks for the tip, Emma!

Daniel Grigoras
Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alignment error Oct 5, 2013

Thanks Paul for logging our reports.

I just re-encountered "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in the alignment dialogue.

Here's what I did:
1. I've created a new alignment project and a file-based TM
2. I then added two source files, but when I decided to remove the second one here's what popped up:

[Edited at 2013-10-05 20:37 GMT]

SofieM
SofieM  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Danish
+ ...
Pre-translate is not confirming 100% matches Oct 5, 2013

Hello,

I might be doing something wrong, but nonetheless I'm experiencing that when doing the batch-task Pre-translate, my 100 % segments are not confirmed right away as they are supposed to (or at least they were confirmed this way in Studio 2011).

I made sure to check the relevant fields under Options -> Language Pairs -> All Language Pairs -> Batch Processing -> Pre-translate Files "Confirm 100% matches" + "Confirm context matches". The same is applied to Project
... See more
Hello,

I might be doing something wrong, but nonetheless I'm experiencing that when doing the batch-task Pre-translate, my 100 % segments are not confirmed right away as they are supposed to (or at least they were confirmed this way in Studio 2011).

I made sure to check the relevant fields under Options -> Language Pairs -> All Language Pairs -> Batch Processing -> Pre-translate Files "Confirm 100% matches" + "Confirm context matches". The same is applied to Project settings.
Closing Studio 2014 and reopening does not help, nor does restarting the computer.

It is not a huge deal, but still !

If I am doing anything wrong, I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction

Thank you in advance!

Anne Sofie
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About my complaining about the alignment results Oct 5, 2013

In my previous post I've complained about the text being garbled as a result of the alignment process. I now have noticed that I had actually selected the wrong target file. I have many files with similar names and contents in this project.

However, I want to apologise for this mistake.

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Problem opening packages Oct 7, 2013

I've not experienced the problem that first poster had with 2011 opening the package instead of 2014.

When I click on a package it opens with 2014. Unfortunately, it does not offer the option of where to save the project. This means that the project is automatically extracted to whichever folder was used last. In other words, the files for the new project get saved in the same folder as the old job.

This is a pain because it means that I have to close Studio, move the p
... See more
I've not experienced the problem that first poster had with 2011 opening the package instead of 2014.

When I click on a package it opens with 2014. Unfortunately, it does not offer the option of where to save the project. This means that the project is automatically extracted to whichever folder was used last. In other words, the files for the new project get saved in the same folder as the old job.

This is a pain because it means that I have to close Studio, move the project folder to where I want it, reopen Studio and then reopen the project.

I never had this problem in 2011.
Collapse

Daniel Grigoras
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2009 package Oct 7, 2013

Actually, Studio 2014 was unable to open a Studio 2009 package, not a Studio 2011 package as I first thought. I've mentioned this in my last post on that thread.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:57
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nothing new... Oct 7, 2013

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Where you propagate some segment like the one below and want to insert one space between number and measurement (25 kW instead of 25kW). Studio will force the removal of the space in the next segment

This sentence: 2 generatori XXX a bassa velocità da 25 kW a 50 Hz dotati di scarico sommerso silenziato e involucro insonorizzato

if propagated will be forced to become

2 generatori Kohler a bassa velocità da 25kW a 50Hz dotati di scarico sommerso silenziato e involucro insonorizzato

(Please note the difference in spacing between numbers and measures). Then, if you try to amend the SECOND segment to make it the same as the first and confirm, then the FIRST segment will change automatically removing the spaces between number and measurement.

This is consistent. it happens with 10m, 100GB, 1TB etc. Although, there are technical rules in writing that require one space between those (although widely ignored), and some customers make a point about it.

This happened in Studio 2011 too...

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
Not in my case Oct 8, 2013

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Where you propagate some segment like the one below and want to insert one space between number and measurement (25 kW instead of 25kW). Studio will force the removal of the space in the next segment

This sentence: 2 generatori XXX a bassa velocità da 25 kW a 50 Hz dotati di scarico sommerso silenziato e involucro insonorizzato

2 generatori Kohler a bassa velocità da 25kW a 50Hz dotati di scarico sommerso silenziato e involucro insonorizzato

(Please note the difference in spacing between numbers and measures). Then, if you try to amend the SECOND segment to make it the same as the first and confirm, then the FIRST segment will change automatically removing the spaces between number and measurement.

This is consistent. it happens with 10m, 100GB, 1TB etc. Although, there are technical rules in writing that require one space between those (although widely ignored), and some customers make a point about it.

Hi Giovanni,

Never saw that on my 2011. Had i seen it, be sure i'd have complained. I am thinking i may have some setting not right. I didn't import settings from 2011 despite me having them saved and, maybe them working too. Will check.

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
Multiterm interface in Studio Editor - Shortcomings to far Oct 8, 2013

This is a short informal list of small issues of usability (not bugs) i found in the MT interface of Studio 2014 inside Editor in particular.

1) Old problem still there. Can't remove terms from the Editor but need to have MT open on the side. Time eating, very time eating.
2) Linked to the above but also relating to MT as a standalone item. I'd like to be able to delete multiple terms at once and without the need to confirm each of them. Is this possible (Paul Filkin may give
... See more
This is a short informal list of small issues of usability (not bugs) i found in the MT interface of Studio 2014 inside Editor in particular.

1) Old problem still there. Can't remove terms from the Editor but need to have MT open on the side. Time eating, very time eating.
2) Linked to the above but also relating to MT as a standalone item. I'd like to be able to delete multiple terms at once and without the need to confirm each of them. Is this possible (Paul Filkin may give an answer to this, kindly)
3) When i set the MT interface in the Editor on "HIDE" and i click to add a new term the interface takes a long time to show and often disappear before i confirmed the term added (in short i can't click F12 because the window gets stuck at some point and when it starts moving again the "display time" has timed out already). This forced me to open the window manually and go click on F12. The reason why i am using HIDE and not the MT window displayed on a permanent basis is that i work on an 18" screen and i prefer more real estate for actual translating and concordance.
4) When i add a new term (regardless of the mode) for the first time after a period of time i didn't use the MT function, the procedure takes 30 to 40 seconds.

I think it's still Java delaying the CAT because for the rest the whole thing is very, very very fast. I am wondering if there is anything SDL can do to at least reduce the above issues.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:57
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well, it happened in mine... Oct 8, 2013

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Hi Giovanni,

Never saw that on my 2011. Had i seen it, be sure i'd have complained. I am thinking i may have some setting not right. I didn't import settings from 2011 despite me having them saved and, maybe them working too. Will check.

but I think I have some settings not properly configured...

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
Ok i tested it and it's an option (although strange) Oct 8, 2013

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Hi Giovanni,

but I think I have some settings not properly configured...

If you go to OPTIONS/EDITOR/AUTO PROPAGATION and change the setting "When auto propagating a segment the user will be prompted" from "ALWAYS" to "Conditionally when..." "Matching segment has been translated differently" that behaviour appears to stop.

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
Consistent issue in using filters in Review mode Oct 8, 2013

I have found a new "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". This one shows in REVIEW mode when using filters and making extensive changes. When working particularly fast on extensive changes on many strings (like: change 24v into 24 V), after X times it crashes. Strange thing Studio doesn't seem to like CAPITAL "V" as i don't seem not only to be unable to use it in filters, but the filter will not even recognize 24V from 24 V. It will show everything whatever i search.

... See more
I have found a new "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". This one shows in REVIEW mode when using filters and making extensive changes. When working particularly fast on extensive changes on many strings (like: change 24v into 24 V), after X times it crashes. Strange thing Studio doesn't seem to like CAPITAL "V" as i don't seem not only to be unable to use it in filters, but the filter will not even recognize 24V from 24 V. It will show everything whatever i search.

Below is the usual message i get when Studio crashes.

-Object reference not set to an instance of an object.-System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089Sdl.TranslationStudioAutomation.IntegrationApi-2147467261-
c__DisplayClass4.b__2() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()]]>
-SDL Trados Studio11.0.0.011.0.3636.0Microsoft Windows 8 ProNULL20571252XXXXXXXX4.0.30319.18051XXXXTrue16625516 MB
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
Last one is consistent Oct 8, 2013

Last issue below is recurring. Every 10 mins on average

[Edited at 2013-10-08 13:50 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2014 New bugs & shortcomings

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »