Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can Trados Studio 2011 open Transit PPF packages?
Thread poster: Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
German to English
Sep 19, 2013

A client has just asked me if I can work with Transit PPF project packages using my Trados Studio 2011. Can I? And if so, how?

Thanks for any help,

Steve K.

Dusan Miljkovic
Dusan Miljkovic
Serbia
Local time: 10:55
English to Serbian
+ ...
No Sep 19, 2013

I don't think you can.

If you don't have Transit, memoQ is another program that does support PPF.

This might be useful:

http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/152171-memoq_and_transit_nxt_ppf_and_tpf_files.html

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:55
English to Hebrew
+ ...
As far as I know there isn't a way Sep 19, 2013

I know that MemoQ claim to support transit project packages, but I don't have any experience with it myself so I cannot comment on this further.

Also, depending on your technical skills, you might be able to extract the workable content from with the package by renaming its extension to ZIP and exploring its content. I don't know if inside there is anything that Studio can work with because I don't know which formats the Transit package uses, but it might worth a try.

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't think so either Sep 19, 2013

I don't believe you can import Transit packages with Studio. While Transit packages are also just zips that you can extract, Transit stores documents in a quite complicated format with control characters rather than an open source format like XLIFF. I can confirm memoQ reads the packages fine. You can export XLIFF from memoQ, and then process it with Studio and then use memoQ again to create the target package - but the question is whether it is worth the hassle of using Studio here (if it's a l... See more
I don't believe you can import Transit packages with Studio. While Transit packages are also just zips that you can extract, Transit stores documents in a quite complicated format with control characters rather than an open source format like XLIFF. I can confirm memoQ reads the packages fine. You can export XLIFF from memoQ, and then process it with Studio and then use memoQ again to create the target package - but the question is whether it is worth the hassle of using Studio here (if it's a lot of text, and you have experience with it, yes).Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
We'll support the Transit filetypes... Sep 19, 2013

... in Studio 2014 through a free OpenExchange plugin. So once installed it will be part of Studio, but we don't have this available for the 2009/2011 versions.

Regards

Paul

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 19, 2013

Thank you all for your extremely helpful and knowledgeable comments. It looks like MemoQ or Trados 2014 may have to be the way forward.. unfortunately I have heard nothing good about Transit itself. I only used it once and didn't get on with it.

@Paul: Is there a definite release date for Trados 2014 yet?

Best wishes,

Steve K.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No definite release date... Sep 19, 2013

... but I doubt it will be more than a couple of weeks now.

Regards

Paul

Nikolaos Katris
Nikolaos Katris  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:55
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
Is the app available yet? Oct 9, 2013

Hello Paul,

I was reading this interesting thread and I was wondering if the app is available yet, now that Trados 2014 is out.

I did a search on OpenExchange store but didn't find something.

IOLAR
IOLAR
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
waiting for STAR Transit NXT File type Dec 11, 2013

Hi

We would be interested to see the Transit filetype.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Star Transit Filetype Dec 11, 2013

Hi,

We have been testing the filetype for the last month or so and I’m not happy enough with the results to release it yet. The developer, because it’s not an SDL plugin, is hopeful he’ll be able to finish this off for January. So I’ll update you then.

Apologies for the delay.

Regards

Paul

Iulian Dumitrascu
Iulian Dumitrascu  Identity Verified
Romania
German to Romanian
+ ...
Is this filter available yet? Apr 19, 2015

Hi!
I find Trados to be the best translation application.
A company insists on packing files in a .ppf. Can I use Trados to unpack them and then pack them in a .tpf or do I have to use Transit, memoQ, DejaVu or CafeTran?
Note: Transit processes .sdlppx files.

SDL Community wrote:

Hi,
We have been testing the filetype for the last month or so and I’m not happy enough with the results to release it yet. The developer, because it’s not an SDL plugin, is hopeful he’ll be able to finish this off for January. So I’ll update you then.
Regards
Paul

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Status of Transit filter (PPF)? Apr 25, 2015

SDL Community wrote (on Dec 11, 2013):

What is the current status of the Transit filter that was first announced in September 2013?

How come memoQ, Déjà Vu and CafeTran have managed to figure out the Transit format, but Studio still hasn't?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
It's not the format... Apr 25, 2015

... it's just finishing the handling of the package in an automated way. I think the work was beyond the capability of the developer and progress just stalled.

It might be something we try and pick up with another more experienced developer, but it's not really a high priority item so isn't getting a lot of attention by anyone. I know it's important for anyone who wants it, but in the scheme of things it's low.... hence the openexchange approach.

Regards

... See more
... it's just finishing the handling of the package in an automated way. I think the work was beyond the capability of the developer and progress just stalled.

It might be something we try and pick up with another more experienced developer, but it's not really a high priority item so isn't getting a lot of attention by anyone. I know it's important for anyone who wants it, but in the scheme of things it's low.... hence the openexchange approach.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
What is the progress update on this plugin? Dec 2, 2015

A colleague recently translated 100 pages or so of Word exports from Transit and then the client changed their mind and asked him to put the translation into Transit XML files .... manually!
I guess the file type itself, even without automation, would make him extremely happy.

Some of us, the more seasoned translator folk, can still unzip and zip a file, even if its extension is not zip. Well unless the makers of Transit use some proprietary compression, like SDL did in the p
... See more
A colleague recently translated 100 pages or so of Word exports from Transit and then the client changed their mind and asked him to put the translation into Transit XML files .... manually!
I guess the file type itself, even without automation, would make him extremely happy.

Some of us, the more seasoned translator folk, can still unzip and zip a file, even if its extension is not zip. Well unless the makers of Transit use some proprietary compression, like SDL did in the past with ITD files in SDLX...

SDL Community wrote:

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Transit plugin Apr 13, 2016

any update on this?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados Studio 2011 open Transit PPF packages?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »