Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:19
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
My current method and a proposition for 2011 users Oct 3, 2014

Hi Paul,

What I am doing now is a slightly more simplified version of your process. I am using the 2014 version so am not restricted by a daily limit and I therefore pretranslate the entire file with MT active (although I haven't had a really large file to do as yet - i.e. nothing bigger than about 20,000). This means the target segments are all populated and despite taking quite a while to process in the project in set-up stage, I find it's a time saver overall as you get into a fl
... See more
Hi Paul,

What I am doing now is a slightly more simplified version of your process. I am using the 2014 version so am not restricted by a daily limit and I therefore pretranslate the entire file with MT active (although I haven't had a really large file to do as yet - i.e. nothing bigger than about 20,000). This means the target segments are all populated and despite taking quite a while to process in the project in set-up stage, I find it's a time saver overall as you get into a flow of post-editing the target text. I often just go for a coffee while Studio finalises the pretranslation and analysis stages or even better I set the project up in the evening ready for a morning start.

Anyway when I start translating I then untick the enable box of LC in the TM section of the project settings but leave the mymemory (or other MT) plugin activated. I therefore have two versions to look at, just in slightly different places. If I edit a segment and later return to it and want to compare my version against LC, I manually re-enable LC for that segment and just not worry that the extra words count towards the limit as, as you say, it's much more controlled.

So yes, a shortcut to toggle LC on and off would be really handy for me.

A more automated way to add the MT results to a TM as fuzzy matches would also be welcome in future versions of Studio if that's at all feasible.

I would say that the solution you propose would also be a good one for 2011 users as you side step the daily restriction issue by only pre-translating less than 4000 words. What I used to find particularly frustrating was if you were attempting to pretranslate even 10 words over the limit, Studio would throw up an error at the eleventh hour in the project set-up and you would not only not get the first 4000 words pretranslated but you would lose your daily limit as well. Obviously that's not relevant to me now, but that may be something to look at for 2011 users. Why not give them a monthly limit for example like you get with 2014?

Huw
Collapse

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
BeGlobal limits and problem when Pretranslating Oct 8, 2014

Having just started typing for the day, BeGlobal was going well, the first few segments were populated as expected - then I decided to pretranslate the remainder of the file, as it is easier than waiting for each segment to be filled. I realized that the entire document might just be over the allowed limit, but I thought perhaps it would pretranslate up to the allowed limit and leave the rest blank, or at least, failing that, that I could go back to populating the segments one at a time as befor... See more
Having just started typing for the day, BeGlobal was going well, the first few segments were populated as expected - then I decided to pretranslate the remainder of the file, as it is easier than waiting for each segment to be filled. I realized that the entire document might just be over the allowed limit, but I thought perhaps it would pretranslate up to the allowed limit and leave the rest blank, or at least, failing that, that I could go back to populating the segments one at a time as before. However, having failed to pretranslate any of the document, it now refuses to populate ANY of the segments, and comes back with the messages "there was a problem whilst translating" and "the user has reached the maximum number of words for this day". But I have only typed three segments so far. How can this happen? and is there any way to get back my BeGlobal allowance for the day? Im using Trados Studio 2011.

[Edited at 2014-10-08 14:24 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
English
If you are using Studio 2011... Oct 10, 2014

... and not Studio 2014 then you can try this new app freely available on the OpenExchange - SDL BeGlobal Community Plus. This app has an additional option in the settings that will provide you with the ability to not have MT applied if there is anything at all in the target segment already.

So the workflow if you are using the free
... See more
... and not Studio 2014 then you can try this new app freely available on the OpenExchange - SDL BeGlobal Community Plus. This app has an additional option in the settings that will provide you with the ability to not have MT applied if there is anything at all in the target segment already.

So the workflow if you are using the free account for MT would be this:

1. Pre-translate your Project without MT. Just use your own TMs
  2. Add the BeGlobal Community Plus provider instead of the out of the box provider
  3. Make sure you leave the box checked in the settings that says "Disable BeGlobal for any status other than "Not translated""

Now work interactively and MT will only be provided for segments where you do not have a match. You could also use pre-translation at this point, but if your Project or file was very large, and if you had a lot of non-translated segments then you could still exceed your word count. So much better to work interactively.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
BeGlobal Community Plus Jun 5, 2015

Hi Paul,

I've just installed BeGlobal Community Plus and when I try to select it, I'm told:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" (can anyone translate this?!).

I've also just signed up to the 30 day free trial on Language Cloud, so I should have a million characters available to me. However, I'm still being told I'm at my 4000 word limit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Marcio Brito
Marcio Brito
Brazil
Local time: 21:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Server down??? Jul 24, 2015

Since yesterday I can't translate anything using be global. Haven't worked with it in days, didn't pre-translate using be global and the thing is just not working...
Thoughts anyone?

Victoria Patience (X)
Victoria Patience (X)
Spanish to English
Is BeGlobal down? Jul 25, 2015

marcio brito wrote:

Since yesterday I can't translate anything using be global. Haven't worked with it in days, didn't pre-translate using be global and the thing is just not working...
Thoughts anyone?

I'm having the same trouble, using Studio 2011. Has BeGlobal ended?

antoine piazza
antoine piazza  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to French
+ ...
same thing Jul 30, 2015

Same thing here, BeGlobal Community works for maybe 10 segments per day (around 150 words) then it tells me I've reached the limit (error 2004).

Something is really odd here. Server problem on the SDL side? Would be good to get some info.

Thanks

antoine piazza
Argentina
English to French
+ ...
Issue still unsolved Aug 1, 2015

I must admit I'm badly surprised.

Only advice I received was to buy Studio 2015. Could it be that SDL is limiting on purpose the functionalities of Studio 2011 in order to push people to buy an upgrade?

If the problem remains unsolved in the next days, I'll ask SDL for a refund since I don't have anymore the product I paid for.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
English
If you have a problem... Aug 1, 2015

... with BeGlobal or Language Cloud please report this using the "Help & Support" link on the top right of this page:

https://languagecloud.sdl.com/

This is for Machine Translation with Language Cloud/BeGlobal only.

If you want to ask questions regarding any other SDL product and don't have a support contract then don't forget you can use the Translation Productivity
... See more
... with BeGlobal or Language Cloud please report this using the "Help & Support" link on the top right of this page:

https://languagecloud.sdl.com/

This is for Machine Translation with Language Cloud/BeGlobal only.

If you want to ask questions regarding any other SDL product and don't have a support contract then don't forget you can use the Translation Productivity Community here:

https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/language/translationproductivity/

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support
Collapse

antoine piazza
Argentina
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Aug 3, 2015

Thanks a lot Paul! I'll try this option.

Best regards

Antoine

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Servidor SDL Be Global - Error 2004

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »