Trados 2011 FL/problem with file type definition (XML)
Thread poster: Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Poland
Local time: 11:29
German to Polish
Jun 1, 2013

Hello everyone,

I have a following problem with my Trados 2011 and I have no idea what to do about that:

My client sent me a package created in 2011 which contains an xml.sdlxliff file. While opening it Trados warns me that: "One or more files you selected are marked as read only. CHanges to these files will not be included in return package."

After opening the file I receive following notification: "This file was created using a file type definition tha
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have a following problem with my Trados 2011 and I have no idea what to do about that:

My client sent me a package created in 2011 which contains an xml.sdlxliff file. While opening it Trados warns me that: "One or more files you selected are marked as read only. CHanges to these files will not be included in return package."

After opening the file I receive following notification: "This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Version 1.0.0). The following functionality will be restricted or unavaliable: saving, verification, quick tags, preview."

Could anyone explain me what am I doing wrong? What is the mysterious Version 1.0.0? I assume it refers to an XML file, but how can I fix it?????
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Did you open the file... Jun 2, 2013

.. using the Files View after activating the Project? Or did you use Open Document to select the sdlxliff directly? If the latter this would be why as the reference to the xml filetype used to create the sdlxliff is part of the project and will be in the Project Settings. When using Open Document you only have access to filetypes in your Tools Options.

Regards

Paul

Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, this is not it... Jun 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

No matter if I'm opening it as a whole Project (with File View) or as a single sdlxliff file - the problem persists.

After opening with File View function the file usage is "read only". In Editor window I'm notified (again) that: "This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Version 1.0.0). The following functionality will be restricted or unavaliable: saving, verification, quick ta
... See more
Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

No matter if I'm opening it as a whole Project (with File View) or as a single sdlxliff file - the problem persists.

After opening with File View function the file usage is "read only". In Editor window I'm notified (again) that: "This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Version 1.0.0). The following functionality will be restricted or unavaliable: saving, verification, quick tags, preview." The same applies when I'm using Open Document function. So maybe this is all about the way my client created the package (or the file itself)?

Should I contact the client and ask them to prepare another package (with different settings) or to send me an sdlxliff file only?

I can translate the bilingual file or export the translation memory as usual... the problem is that I cannot use the function Save target as/Save source as...

[Edited at 2013-06-02 10:27 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Certainly... Jun 2, 2013

... v 1.0.0.0 for the default XML formats is not correct if the project was prepared in 2011. You should still be able to translate the file and then create a return package for the person who created the package in the first place. I guess being able to create the target file is only useful if you want to manually check the raw xml as it won't be in any "pretty print" format unless you also have a stylesheet?

I don't know why the old XML is being used... perhaps the creator has a
... See more
... v 1.0.0.0 for the default XML formats is not correct if the project was prepared in 2011. You should still be able to translate the file and then create a return package for the person who created the package in the first place. I guess being able to create the target file is only useful if you want to manually check the raw xml as it won't be in any "pretty print" format unless you also have a stylesheet?

I don't know why the old XML is being used... perhaps the creator has an older version of 2011 (unlikely as I think v 1.0.0.0 predates 2011 completely)... perhaps it's incorrectly using the old 2009 templates because he tried to create his project without upgrading all his custom templates first?

Probably worth asking how he did this and what build he's using because if the incorrect templates are being used he'll get more problems from others too.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Return package Jun 2, 2013

Well, that's what I thought so. But the question is what should I do now - creating the return package does not make much sense since Trados warned me that changes to the files made by translator will not be included in return package...

I can send them translated sdlxliff file plus translation memory but I would like to avoid any further misunderstandings (i.e. blaming ME for problems resulting from mistake THEY made)...

Should I simply inform that the source file was
... See more
Well, that's what I thought so. But the question is what should I do now - creating the return package does not make much sense since Trados warned me that changes to the files made by translator will not be included in return package...

I can send them translated sdlxliff file plus translation memory but I would like to avoid any further misunderstandings (i.e. blaming ME for problems resulting from mistake THEY made)...

Should I simply inform that the source file was created incorrectly?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Definitely inform... Jun 2, 2013

.. your client of this problem. Then what you could do is translate the sdlxliff seperately and then send them the translated sdlxliff. So create your own project with their sdlxliff files... the ones in the target language folder and not the source language folder.

Regards

Paul

Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
I've just created my own project Jun 2, 2013

using the file from target language folder (just as you said).
Again, Trados notified me that "This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Version 1.0.0). The following functionality will be restricted or unavaliable: saving, verification, quick tags, preview." : D. I will ignore it and translate the file as usual.

Tomorrow I'm going to inform my client about the problem, if they don't accept it they will probably assign the project
... See more
using the file from target language folder (just as you said).
Again, Trados notified me that "This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Version 1.0.0). The following functionality will be restricted or unavaliable: saving, verification, quick tags, preview." : D. I will ignore it and translate the file as usual.

Tomorrow I'm going to inform my client about the problem, if they don't accept it they will probably assign the project to another translator (with an older update of Trados 2011 - I've purchased my own only a few days ago)...

[Edited at 2013-06-02 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This is unlikely.... Jun 2, 2013

Anna Salek wrote:

if they don't accept it they will probably assign the project to another translator (with an older update of Trados 2011 - I've purchased my own only a few days ago)...

[Edited at 2013-06-02 10:26 GMT]

...to help them really. Makes sense to get to the bottom of why they create 2011 projects with 2009 filetypes.

The messages you get again are to be expected but you should be able to at least save the sdlxliff with your translation? Then even in the worst case scenario they can import your file into their TM and pretranslate their Project.

Regards

Paul

Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Saving the sdlxliff file Jun 2, 2013

Yes, I can save translated sdlxliff file and/or export the translation memory.

As to 2009 filetypes: surprisingly I can open that package in Trados 2009 but I receive the same notification as with 2011. So both 2009 and 2011 versions do not recognize that xml file...

Paul, could I send you that "unfortunate" package so you can check whether you get the same notification as I did? I would feel more comfortable if anyone else experiences the same problem...
See more
Yes, I can save translated sdlxliff file and/or export the translation memory.

As to 2009 filetypes: surprisingly I can open that package in Trados 2009 but I receive the same notification as with 2011. So both 2009 and 2011 versions do not recognize that xml file...

Paul, could I send you that "unfortunate" package so you can check whether you get the same notification as I did? I would feel more comfortable if anyone else experiences the same problem

I'm just asking (should this be a problem for you)...
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Of course... Jun 2, 2013

... but don't rush as I'm out until later this evening.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Done. Jun 2, 2013

No problem with that.

Thank you very much for you support,

Ania

Felipe Hernando
Felipe Hernando
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Similar issue Dec 13, 2013

Trados Studio 2011

Hi, I am trying to work on a package that an agency has sent me and I get this message:

'This file was created using a file type definition that does not exist on your system (Java Resources 2.0.0.0.) The following functionality will be restricted or unavailable :
-Saving
-Verification
-Quick Tags
-Preview'

Do you know how I can solve this, since I do need to 'save target as'?

Many thanks

Anna Salek
Anna Salek
Poland
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Don't worry and Dec 13, 2013

simply ignore that message and perform the required action (at least, that is what I did).

Alice Cernic (X)
Alice Cernic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Slovenian to Italian
+ ...
Error when trying to open a return package Dec 18, 2014

Hi there,

I have a problem with a package, which I am supposed to proofread.
I open my SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2 (just upgraded), open the project and as I click on "Finish" to import the package, it says that the package doesn't exist in my setup.

Could anyone help me out, please?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A return package... Dec 18, 2014

... can only be opened by the person who created the original package that was sent out in the first place. So if you don't have this then when you open a return package there won't be any Project for it to recognise and update.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 FL/problem with file type definition (XML)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »