Tehsin Begum Mukhtar Ahmad
Tehsin Begum Mukhtar Ahmad  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 07:59
English to Malay
+ ...
Object whatever back again Mar 3, 2013

This is ridiculous.

The problem is back again in the midst of my big project, what a waste of a day trying to get it fixed. Sometimes the instructions work and today not!

Trados is an expensive joke. Extremely user unfriendly too.

Translation has been hijacked, and we are held hostage.

[Edited at 2013-03-03 04:45 GMT]

Matouš Vrba (X)
Matouš Vrba (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados is a piece of ... Mar 5, 2013

Dear fellow translators,

I also have this problem, cannot open a package in 2009.
It can be opened in 2011, but the client requires I use 2009 for the work.
I also tried creating a 2009 package in the 2011 version, did not work
I tried all the solutions suggested here.
I tried multiple computers, nothing.

Any ideas?

I would never ever buy Trados. It is terrible, buggy and soooo expensive
Memoq is and for years has been thousand
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

I also have this problem, cannot open a package in 2009.
It can be opened in 2011, but the client requires I use 2009 for the work.
I also tried creating a 2009 package in the 2011 version, did not work
I tried all the solutions suggested here.
I tried multiple computers, nothing.

Any ideas?

I would never ever buy Trados. It is terrible, buggy and soooo expensive
Memoq is and for years has been thousand times better and costs much less.
GTT and memsource are better too..anything...even translating in doc with wordfast classic..

SDL should just cease to exist

i really am angry with this so called CAT tool

Matt
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Object Ref errors Mar 5, 2013

Hi,

It's hard for me to know what to suggest as this is a very generic error message coming from your system, even if it's caused by something in Studio or your files.

I would be happy to take a look if you can share the packages/projects with me however. So if this is possible please drop me an email - [email protected] - and I'll set something up so we can try to address your problem.

Regards

... See more
Hi,

It's hard for me to know what to suggest as this is a very generic error message coming from your system, even if it's caused by something in Studio or your files.

I would be happy to take a look if you can share the packages/projects with me however. So if this is possible please drop me an email - [email protected] - and I'll set something up so we can try to address your problem.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

desi1981
desi1981  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Thank you Apr 25, 2013

Hi,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU all for this helpful topic and the detailed instructions on how to fix the problem! I was working on a big project and it was getting frustrating

Anyway, I use SDT Studio2011 and the tip with the deletion of the 3 files worked fine for me. The error incurred after my computer restarted itself for Windows updates, after I forgot to pospone the restart and close my programs
... See more
Hi,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU all for this helpful topic and the detailed instructions on how to fix the problem! I was working on a big project and it was getting frustrating

Anyway, I use SDT Studio2011 and the tip with the deletion of the 3 files worked fine for me. The error incurred after my computer restarted itself for Windows updates, after I forgot to pospone the restart and close my programs propery

Hope it will work fine for all facing the same problem and thansk again for being there and sharing!
Collapse

jkmsff
jkmsff
What settings are lost when deleting UserSettings.xml? Apr 29, 2013

Hello,

Once again this afternoon, I've encountered the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in Trados Studio 2011 (10.4.3079.1) after running certain batch tasks.

As suggested above, I've removed UserSettings.xml, BaseSettings.xml and plugincache.xml.

What worries me about this workaround is that UserSettings.xml contains various user settings, as the file name suggests. What settings are lost when I delete this file? Does it affect
... See more
Hello,

Once again this afternoon, I've encountered the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in Trados Studio 2011 (10.4.3079.1) after running certain batch tasks.

As suggested above, I've removed UserSettings.xml, BaseSettings.xml and plugincache.xml.

What worries me about this workaround is that UserSettings.xml contains various user settings, as the file name suggests. What settings are lost when I delete this file? Does it affect any of the settings in Tools > Options?

Kind regards
Joachim
Collapse

jkmsff
jkmsff
What settings are lost when deleting the UserSettings.xml file? May 6, 2013

What settings are lost when deleting the UserSettings.xml file?
Please, could someone from SDL respond.

Thanks
Joachim

Maria Kalous (X)
Maria Kalous (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Greek to English
+ ...
Urgent - studio 2011: object reference not set to an instance of an object with TM May 7, 2013

Dear all,

This is the first time I had this problem (and I hope the last). I had to uninstall trados studio 2011 today, and everything goes well with the installation. Trados opens a new text without a problem; however, when I try to load a TM it gives me the "object reference not set to an instance of an object" every time I move to the next segment. I have now uninstalled/reinstalled trados 3 times today to no avail!

I have looked through all the posts regarding this
... See more
Dear all,

This is the first time I had this problem (and I hope the last). I had to uninstall trados studio 2011 today, and everything goes well with the installation. Trados opens a new text without a problem; however, when I try to load a TM it gives me the "object reference not set to an instance of an object" every time I move to the next segment. I have now uninstalled/reinstalled trados 3 times today to no avail!

I have looked through all the posts regarding this issue, but it seems that I cannot find the SDL file under roaming. When I go to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming to find and delete the three troublesome files there is only a file for microsoft and nothing for SDL. I have clicked "show hidden folders" under folder view but nothing works. My OS is windows 7.

Please help!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Maria
Collapse

ana_pos
ana_pos
Romania
Local time: 02:59
Romanian to English
+ ...
Several possible solutions: Jul 15, 2013

Try: http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4457#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4457

For me, solution 2 worked every time:
Solution 2:

In the case SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 will start, but as soon as you try to switch between the dialogs you get the error message Object reference not set to an instance of an object, please
... See more
Try: http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4457#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4457

Solution 2:

In the case SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 will start, but as soon as you try to switch between the dialogs you get the error message Object reference not set to an instance of an object, please use the follow resolution:

Open SDL Trados Studio.
Click on SDL Trados Studio in the View menu.
Select Reset Window Layout.
Please confirm the reset of the window layout with a click on OK.

After these steps the message should no longer appear, but if this solution does not work please try Solution 1 before you try Solution 3 and 4.
Collapse

MG58
MG58  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Solution 2 worked Sep 10, 2013

Thank your very much for your help.

ana_pos wrote:

Solution 2:

In the case SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 will start, but as soon as you try to switch between the dialogs you get the error message Object reference not set to an instance of an object, please use the follow resolution:

Open SDL Trados Studio.

After these steps the message should no longer appear, but if this solution does not work please try Solution 1 before you try Solution 3 and 4.

Ionut-Emilian Arsene
Ionut-Emilian Arsene  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to German
+ ...
Object reference not set to an instance or object! - SOLVED Sep 23, 2013

I tried (after spending more than 2 hours looking for answers) to find a missing translation. BECAUSE THIS WAS THE CAUSE OF THE ERROR!!!
Finally got it!
Also Auto-Propagation was faulty, Studio 2011 did not jump to the next segment after using Alt+Add.
Translation inserted, confirmed, all errors dissappeared!

Wolfgang Friesel
Wolfgang Friesel  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
It works with Studio 2014 as well Oct 5, 2013

SDL seems not to be very busy to resolve problems like this.
I found the mentioned files in two folders. I decided to remove those with the date of today and it worked.

Thank you,

Wolfgang

Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ana, you are a life saver :) Oct 23, 2013

Your solution, as simple as it seems, saved me endless pain) Thanks for sharing.

ana_pos wrote:

Solution 2:

Open SDL Trados Studio.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Ana thanks Feb 14, 2014

Absolutely brilliant. Who would have thought something so simple would be so effective. Thank you.

pmakinen
pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:59
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Thanks May 7, 2014

ana_pos wrote:

Solution 2:

This actually worked!!! Thanks!!

Diana Popilka (X)
Diana Popilka (X)  Identity Verified
Austria
Croatian to German
+ ...
Another solution Jul 14, 2014

Hello everyone,

first of all let me thank you for your very helpful solutions!

The same problem occured when I tried to create a new termbase with MultiTerm 2014 (I have Windows 7). I deleted the .xml-files mentioned in the previous posts, but it didn't help.

Then I found this article on the SDL Knowledgebase
... See more
Hello everyone,

first of all let me thank you for your very helpful solutions!

The same problem occured when I tried to create a new termbase with MultiTerm 2014 (I have Windows 7). I deleted the .xml-files mentioned in the previous posts, but it didn't help.

Then I found this article on the SDL Knowledgebase: http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=4457#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4115

I saved the termbase in a folder that didn't contain an ampersand or semi colon and it worked!

I hope this can help you too.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Object reference not set to an instance of an object- Studio 2011

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »