Tehsin Begum Mukhtar Ahmad
Tehsin Begum Mukhtar Ahmad  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 18:00
English to Malay
+ ...
Return of the unidentified object of reference Nov 17, 2012

Hi,

The message has returned with a vengeance. It went off for a while to take a vacation somewhere for some reason. I did not and could not apply the solutions given because I could not find the said files. So I went back to 2007 for a while. Now, I tried using 2011 again and it was okay for a few projects. After I installed SP2, it is now coming up again with two messages. The "object not set etc" AND 'TM update failed" after each keystroke and I am now ready to have a massive str
... See more
Hi,

The message has returned with a vengeance. It went off for a while to take a vacation somewhere for some reason. I did not and could not apply the solutions given because I could not find the said files. So I went back to 2007 for a while. Now, I tried using 2011 again and it was okay for a few projects. After I installed SP2, it is now coming up again with two messages. The "object not set etc" AND 'TM update failed" after each keystroke and I am now ready to have a massive stroke.

I have to call my IT guy and spend more money to get him to understand the solution provided as I am not an IT person and I think the programme should be more user friendly, as we are not programmers but translators.

If that doesn't work, I have to lug my computer all the way to another town to get the SDL reseller to do it, and frankly, even your reseller has been a 'touchy feely' technician, because they are not familiar with the intricacies of this software.

SDL please come up with some Superpatch or something that will fix this once and for all. And if more updates are in the pipeline/upgrades etc that we have to buy, please make sure the features/commands/descriptions are more understandable aka in simple English. Many just use the basic features of Trados because the other features are too technical/NASA language-friendly and they are afraid to touch it lest the translation self-destructs in ten minutes.

Thank you so much for your understanding and assistance thus far.

Tehsin
Collapse

Adrian Prasetya
Adrian Prasetya  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:00
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Did not work Nov 17, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

The error message itself is quite difficult to decipher because it is an error returned by the application when the value of something it was looking for was null. This value could be anything. Sometimes from the more detailed error stack we can see where the problem may be coming from, but not always. Certainly if there was a consistent way to report exactly what the problem was and how to fix it then we would do.

Sometimes removing the three xml files helps because they have somehow been corrupted and removing them so Studio can regenerate them can be helpful. I don't have a simple answer to how they get corrupted but my guess would be incorrectly shutting down the application or crashing midway are likely candidates.

However, we don't see this type of problem being reported very much any more in Studio 2011.

So, here's how to find them:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[10.0.0.0]

you delete the following three XML files:

- BaseSettings.xml
- plugincache.xml
- UserSettings.xml

In case you cannot see the "AppData" folder, make sure that your folder view is set to "display hidden system folders. " Here are step-by-step instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files.

When you delete these and restart Studio it will be as if you are starting for the first time (except for licensing that will not be affected) and you may lose some user settings... you won't lose work as this is all saved as files elsewhere, you may just need to add them back.

If this does not help then you can sometimes resolve a problem (normally an unable to start the application at all problem) by deleting the following file: "projects.xml" located in

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects

Please note that your project list will disappear and you will need to re-open your projects in SDL Trados Studio to have them back in the list. To do this please go to File > Open > Project and browse to the project you wish to open. It will then be added to the Projects list in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

Regards

Paul

I installed Trados 2011 SP2 and Multiterm 2011 SP2. No previous Trados software is installed.

I can open the Studio and create TM just fine. I can open Multiterm, BUT can't create termbase (same error: object reference not set to an instance of an object).

I tried uninstalling+reinstalling, rebooting OS, repairing, and even deleting the XML files as explained above, DID NOT WORK.

Any ideas?

Malaysia
English to Malay
+ ...
Return of the unidentified object of reference Nov 17, 2012

Hi,

FINALLY figured out where to look for the files to delete! And how!

Now I can get back to work. Thank God for the local IT guy.. he just needed to point out what the SDL support meant with the given instructions and how to look for the said files and paths!

Thanks.

Malaysia
English to Malay
+ ...
Did not work Nov 17, 2012

Sorry Adrian Prasetya,

Wonder why yours did not work? Must be many reasons why the error comes up. Hope someone can help. Mine just came up after installing SP2 and before that some keystroke which i do not recall.

Hope SDL can fix this once and for all.

Danielle Zorzin
Danielle Zorzin  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:00
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks for the help Frankie Dec 12, 2012

Thank you! I had the same problem and this forum helped me!

Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Where are all the programmers gone? Jan 9, 2013

Tehsin Begum Mukhtar Ahmad wrote:
we are not programmers but translators.

IMHO the people who wrote Trados Studio are neither...

Ljerka Kovacic Tot
Ljerka Kovacic Tot  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
The same problem with a large file and with active server memory Jan 13, 2013

I'm having the same issue today working on a very large file. The advice did help, however I'm nothing less than enraged having to spend so much time to fix a bug in a newly purchased and expensive software that is supposed to aid my work and boost my business. As a market leader, I think it should offer more reliability and simpler solutions.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
This ErrMsg occurs in a 2-stage use of Studio 2011 on TTX files Jan 20, 2013

Despite the recently-proclaimed obsolescence of 2007, some of my clients have Trados installed bases in 2007.

To use Studio 2011 to handle their files more efficiently, I found a tip - I think it was in Open Exchange - about using TTX files with Studio:

The MS-Office file is converted into TTX, then processed in Studio, and a target file can be output in both TTX and native Office format.

I also use the clients' TMs in 2007 to check using Concordance.
... See more
Despite the recently-proclaimed obsolescence of 2007, some of my clients have Trados installed bases in 2007.

To use Studio 2011 to handle their files more efficiently, I found a tip - I think it was in Open Exchange - about using TTX files with Studio:

The MS-Office file is converted into TTX, then processed in Studio, and a target file can be output in both TTX and native Office format.

I also use the clients' TMs in 2007 to check using Concordance.

To keep an eye on things like formatting, I can make partly-translated 'interim' source-format saves from Studio to TTX. The relevant move appears as an option in the File menu, and a window offers both TTX and Office formats as options.

However, the message at issue pops up when I try to make an interim save directly from Studio to the source Office format, i.e. from a Studio file that doesn't have all its target segments filled. The wording of the message gives a clue to its import in this case: the module converting a Studio file into an Office source-format target manifestly dislikes handling unfilled target segments.

Previously, I just took the partly-translated TTX file and processed it in 2007 to get the partly-completed source-format (Office) target - a roundabout route, but it works, provided the file isn't corrupted.

Lately, using a fully-translated Studio file I managed to output both the TTX and the Word (*.docx) target files without a hitch because I had carefully filled every segment, even where no translation was called for, as with some segments in Arabic: I selected then filled the target segments from source (Ctrl-Ins), changed the status of the selection to untranslated, and locked the segments. Thus, nothing would interfere with either the content of those segments or the TM.

I hope this very minor victory may be of some help.

With kind regards,

Adam Warre (IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

nordiatext
nordiatext
Thank you! This worked for me (Studio 2011, Windows 7) Feb 2, 2013

I am so grateful for the ProZ community and its helpful members. This very useful tip did the trick!

Frankie JB wrote:

Hello christenino,

I am by no means an expert and I don't have Studio 2011 (I have 2009 SP3), but I encountered the same 'problem denomination' 3 days ago (it wasn't the same situation either, as I was importing a project package), but here's how I managed to fix it (I was given the solution, to be honest):

I deleted the XML base settings files

BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

which are to be found in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\9.1.0.0\

then restared, reinstalled some components pretty quickly and then the problem was solved!

Not sure that will work, but who knows?

Good luck anyway!

[Edited at 2012-02-11 12:40 GMT]

Urs Wolffers
Urs Wolffers  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
NOTHING DISCUSSED TILL NOW HELPS Feb 12, 2013

Good afternoon I have the same problem and tried everything discussed till now, but nothing helps, what else can I do? Thanks a lot Ur

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Comment in Studio 2011 triggered this error message Feb 14, 2013

Hi colleagues,

Without having read this entire thread (and therefore at the risk of repeating something that has already been said), I just wanted to tell you that I had the "Object reference not set..." error message today when I tried to create the target language version of one of my files in Studio 2011. It turned out that the error message was triggered by a comment I had entered in the SDLXLIFF file. After I deleted the comment, the file could be saved without problems.
... See more
Hi colleagues,

Without having read this entire thread (and therefore at the risk of repeating something that has already been said), I just wanted to tell you that I had the "Object reference not set..." error message today when I tried to create the target language version of one of my files in Studio 2011. It turned out that the error message was triggered by a comment I had entered in the SDLXLIFF file. After I deleted the comment, the file could be saved without problems.

Cheers,

Stefanie
Collapse

Martina Stryckova
Martina Stryckova  Identity Verified
English to Slovak
+ ...
Got the error when trying to open package Feb 16, 2013

HI, I got the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I tried to open a new package in Studio 2009. none of the above mentioned tricks helped, any ideas? thanks in advance for any help!

Prozzy
Prozzy  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Preview in Studio 2011 Feb 27, 2013

Hi, I get the error message "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I try to preview the file word I am translating, I click ok and get no preview. I have Windows XP.

Thanks a lot

[Edited at 2013-02-27 20:57 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Me too Feb 28, 2013

Marc Van Gastel wrote:

I had same happening in Trados Studio 2011 and Trados 2008 on a source doc that was xlsx, the newer xls format.

I figured it could be an error related to handling the newer MS Office document format, so here are my steps

1/ Saved the XLSX document to the older XLS format with Save As. You should not lose anything if it is one of the "wordy" xls files that we often get for translations in xlsx.

2/ Open the xls file in your version of Trados, then rerun the TM.

3/ Save the target file to xls, open this xls file and save back to the newer xlsx format with Save As. Just deliver the unclean (ttx or sdlxlif) file with the final translation and chances are he won't notice anything at all.

Did it for me. I have also done the same with a PPTX that didn't want to save back to the new file format. It looks like the Trados crooks haven't figured out all the secrets of the new MS file formats yet. The excuses for not solving this are very very lame.

Marc

I had this error in 4 of the 16 files of a project, and when I swapped the files to doc instead of docx there was no problem when saving the translation.
Why using those new formats anyway? I do not see any advantage with docx or xlsx compared to doc and xls.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Object reference not set to an instance of an object- Studio 2011

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »