Thread poster: Shizuka Matsunaga
Shizuka Matsunaga
Shizuka Matsunaga  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2012

Has anybody encountered an error during file conversion in Trados Studio 2011?

I started a new project in Trados Studio 2011 for the translation of an Excel file.
Then I got an error message saying "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection."
I have tried the everything I could think of but none of them worked.
Below is the list of workarounds I tried.

-I placed check marks next to every option under Project
... See more
Has anybody encountered an error during file conversion in Trados Studio 2011?

I started a new project in Trados Studio 2011 for the translation of an Excel file.
Then I got an error message saying "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection."
I have tried the everything I could think of but none of them worked.
Below is the list of workarounds I tried.

-I placed check marks next to every option under Project Setting>File Types>Microsoft Excel 2007-2010 or 2000-2003.
-I tried "Skip worksheet name" option under File Type>Microsoft Excel>Worksheet name.
-The original file is *.xls format, so I saved the original file as *.xlsx.
-I devided the source file into multiple files to reduce the file size.
-I removed all the pictures in the source file.

Any information would be truly appreciated!
Collapse

Shizuka Matsunaga
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS Jan 31, 2012

My client found a cause.

My source text has some underlines without any letters in a text box. (e.g. ___: ABC.)
The source text is a Japanese text and these lines are not underscore lines but sapces with underline format.
SDL Studio seems to recognize underlined spaces as some kind of error codes.

Can anyone from SDL or anyone who is familiar with Studio's engineerign components verify this issue?

[Edited at 2012-01-31 13:59 GMT]

[Edited at
... See more
My client found a cause.

My source text has some underlines without any letters in a text box. (e.g. ___: ABC.)
The source text is a Japanese text and these lines are not underscore lines but sapces with underline format.
SDL Studio seems to recognize underlined spaces as some kind of error codes.

Can anyone from SDL or anyone who is familiar with Studio's engineerign components verify this issue?

[Edited at 2012-01-31 13:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-01-31 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

Stefan Krause
Stefan Krause  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:22
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
same issue Mar 19, 2012

I just ran into the same issue: Got an .xltx file from a client and cannot even open it in Studio 2011: When performing the batch tasks, it shows that "index was out of range" message when converting the file to the translation format.

I tried the suggestions mentioned above, I set all the checkmarks in the file type options, saved the file as an Excel 2003 file, and I even searched for underlined formatting within Excel to find underlined spaces. Nothing helps, the file is still r
... See more
I just ran into the same issue: Got an .xltx file from a client and cannot even open it in Studio 2011: When performing the batch tasks, it shows that "index was out of range" message when converting the file to the translation format.

I tried the suggestions mentioned above, I set all the checkmarks in the file type options, saved the file as an Excel 2003 file, and I even searched for underlined formatting within Excel to find underlined spaces. Nothing helps, the file is still resisting being opened in Studio 2011...

Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Collapse

Inga Nellen
Inga Nellen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Same problem Jul 16, 2012

I am faced with the same problem with an .xls file. Can't find a solution so I will be forced to translate without Studio 2011 - I am so not looking forward to it

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can we see the file? Jul 16, 2012

Hi Inga,

If you can share the fully translated sdlxliff and the original excel file we can take a look and see if we can help.

Regards

Paul

Inga Nellen
Inga Nellen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Sorry, can't send the file :( Jul 16, 2012

Thanks for your offer Paul but Studio 2011 does not even convert the Excel file and I cannot disclose the original file for confidentiality reasons. If this is not a common problem I'll just have to live with it.

Urska Colner Vracun
Urska Colner Vracun
Slovenia
Slovenian
+ ...
TagEditor won't save as Excel after installing Studio 2011 Nov 23, 2012

Hi all,

Not sure if this is related, but after installing Trados Studio 2011 Freelance 2 days ago, I had to translate an Excel file (.xls) in TagEditor (the agency still uses Trados 2007).

While translating the file, I kept getting an error about a Excel.Paragraph....something when I tried to insert any kind of tag. I was able to translate and save the file, but not convert it to target .xls.

When I used Save as target ... or Clean up option in the TWS, I g
... See more
Hi all,

Not sure if this is related, but after installing Trados Studio 2011 Freelance 2 days ago, I had to translate an Excel file (.xls) in TagEditor (the agency still uses Trados 2007).

While translating the file, I kept getting an error about a Excel.Paragraph....something when I tried to insert any kind of tag. I was able to translate and save the file, but not convert it to target .xls.

When I used Save as target ... or Clean up option in the TWS, I got the same error: something about Excel.Converter not being found.

The XLS file is completely straightforward: it only contains one sheet with three columns of text, nothing special.

Help would be appreciated.

Urska

PS: The error says:
Failed to create component Trados.ExcelParagraphIdentifier2

[Edited at 2012-11-23 12:10 GMT]
Collapse

Gisele Latour
Gisele Latour  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
Just happened to me... Dec 24, 2012

before Christmas night!
I created a project in Studio 2011 from an .xlsx source provided by a customer (11800 words). Firstly when I opened the source in Excel, I got a message "some contents in /xl/workbook.xml were lost" or alike. However all looked fine to do the job. I went to my Studio and started the project as usual. When fully translated, I used the tab "Save target as" to convert into Excel, no way. Says "Failed saving the target content: Access denied on the file as it is opened
... See more
before Christmas night!
I created a project in Studio 2011 from an .xlsx source provided by a customer (11800 words). Firstly when I opened the source in Excel, I got a message "some contents in /xl/workbook.xml were lost" or alike. However all looked fine to do the job. I went to my Studio and started the project as usual. When fully translated, I used the tab "Save target as" to convert into Excel, no way. Says "Failed saving the target content: Access denied on the file as it is opened and locked by another application."
What makes me scratching my head is I could do the conversion at some time while translating to see the output. Then no way to use the feature again for the job delivery. Due to the project deadline, I had to deliver the bilingual file created in Word for external review with thousands of excuses to my customer, a real shame.
I'm now browsing the net to find out where I was wrong. Thank you in advance for your input, it'll save me further issues!
Collapse

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:22
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Did anybody find the solution? Sep 1, 2014

The same problem with saving target as xls-file. Does anybody know what is wrong with it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Shizuka Matsunaga
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update from my case Sep 1, 2014

My experiences might not help your specific case at all but here are some updates to my case.

I was told by SDL that the one issue was something to do with a software bug in Studio, which is supposed to be fixed in 2014 version. They also mentioned the source text was somehow corrupted during the course of creation when some pictures were copied from some other file(s).
For my case, SDL could provide me fixed SDLXLIFF file that could generate a target file.
There were so
... See more
My experiences might not help your specific case at all but here are some updates to my case.

I was told by SDL that the one issue was something to do with a software bug in Studio, which is supposed to be fixed in 2014 version. They also mentioned the source text was somehow corrupted during the course of creation when some pictures were copied from some other file(s).
For my case, SDL could provide me fixed SDLXLIFF file that could generate a target file.
There were some lost translations at the end, so I manually had to add the missing translation but at least the target file was generated.

This might not be your case but export failure could also be caused by some hidden codes that are not replicated as tags in Editor due to a bug in the software.
(Unfortunately I cannot remember if this was caused in Excel file or not...I'm sorry.)
If that is the case, run verification batch and see if you get any errors. (You might need to go to Reports window first to show the error message in your Editor window.)
If you see an error, copy all formats you can find through Quick Place drop-down list (This will be shown as a sample text instead of a tag) to applicable area in the target unit.

Each case has different conditions. The easiest and quickest thing would be to contact SDL support team.

Hope you could figure out the workaround. I'm sorry that you have to go through this frustrating issue....

Best wishes,
Collapse

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:22
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Thank you! Sep 1, 2014

Many thanks for your quick reply. I do not know what is the cause of the problem, but I managed to solve it as follows: I added aditional memory to the project, and updated it using Update main memories option. Then I deleted the project, opened the received package once again added to the project the mentioned before memory, and pretranslated it using additional memory. This solved the problem.
Anyways many thanks for your kind advice!

Shizuka Matsunaga wrote:

There were some lost translations at the end, so I manually had to add the missing translation but at least the target file was generated.

This might not be your case but export failure could also be caused by some hidden codes that are not replicated as tags in Editor due to a bug in the software.
(Unfortunately I cannot remember if this was caused in Excel file or not...I'm sorry.)
If that is the case, run verification batch and see if you get any errors. (You might need to go to Reports window first to show the error message in your Editor window.)
If you see an error, copy all formats you can find through Quick Place drop-down list (This will be shown as a sample text instead of a tag) to applicable area in the target unit.

Each case has different conditions. The easiest and quickest thing would be to contact SDL support team.

Hope you could figure out the workaround. I'm sorry that you have to go through this frustrating issue....

Best wishes,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel Conversion Failed in Trados Studio 2011

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »