Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:11
French to German
+ ...
Nearly everybody? Oct 21, 2011

NR_Stedman wrote:

Brilliant thread.
Firstly it shows that nearly everybody has been using GT over the last year despite the strong anti-MT lobby on Proz fora and all the confidentiality issues that surely must now be addressed: after all an individual code is attached to each request a translator makes to the GT server.

(.../...)

Nearly everybody? I seriously doubt it. Maybe nearly every translator who posted in this thread would be more accurate?

As per myself, I simply do not use GT and that's it. Live and let live

[Edited at 2011-10-21 05:32 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:11
Finnish to French
More of a corporate culture... Oct 21, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
The advantages of "lightweight" software?

Probably more of a corporate culture.

FWIW, a version of Wordfast Classic with Google Translate API v2 support also exists, I'm currently testing it and it appears to work fine.

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Norway
English to Portuguese
+ ...
version of Wordfast Classic with Google Translate API v2 support Oct 21, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
The advantages of "lightweight" software?

Probably more of a corporate culture.

FWIW, a version of Wordfast Classic with Google Translate API v2 support also exists, I'm currently testing it and it appears to work fine.

Dominique, thanks for the info. I took a look at WF download page and the last version available is Build 6.01g released Jun 16 2011. Is this the version you are testing? As far as I know this version has no support for GT API v2. Can you confirm?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
It's a pre-beta Oct 21, 2011

Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun wrote:
Dominique, thanks for the info. I took a look at WF download page and the last version available is Build 6.01g released Jun 16 2011. Is this the version you are testing? As far as I know this version has no support for GT API v2. Can you confirm?

It's a pre-beta release, not available to the public yet. I confirm 6.01g (the current public release from last June) has no support for GT API v2.

Norway
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Pre-beta version WF Classic Oct 21, 2011

OK. Thanks.

Kenneth Powers
Kenneth Powers  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Add my thanks to the rest, works perfectly, BUT Oct 21, 2011

Pawel_K wrote:

I figured out a method to make Trados Studio work with the new Google Translate API V2.

For those of you who are interested, it is described here: http://translacorner.blogspot.com/

Pawel

[Edited at 2011-10-17 10:30 GMT]

There is absolutely NO slowdown or drawback as far as web browsing goes, I use Firefox and disable Fiddler in Firefox without affecting Trados (or Outlook unfortunately) but my email doesn't seem to be slowing despite being "captured" by Fiddler. In other words a GREAT workaround, well done and thank you again!

Grigori Gazarian
Grigori Gazarian  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:11
Member (2021)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Any word from SDL? Oct 21, 2011

Would anyone from SDL support care to comment on this thread, please? Paul?

I'd like to know if the refusal to provide a patch for us 2009 users is the official position. This will go a long way toward shaping many people's purchasing decisions regarding CAT tools.

Klaus Lauble
Klaus Lauble  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks to Pawel! Oct 21, 2011

Pawel, this is really brilliant! If SDL Trados does not want to support Studio 2009 users, you did the trick!

Thanks a lot for this! Works like charm...

Cheers,
Klaus

Solid Technology Solutions, LLC Annette Cyrkel
Solid Technology Solutions, LLC Annette Cyrkel
United States
Local time: 05:11
German to English
MT Google problem in Wordfast 2.4.0.1 always disconnecting Oct 22, 2011

The past two weeks I have noticed that when translating the MT Google function is giving me the message every other segment or so: MT Google: Failed to get machine translations, Error while communicating to Server.

Can anyone help? is this a Google issue or that I ahve not ye tupdate my WF Pro software?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
It's a Google issue Oct 22, 2011

Annette C wrote:
The past two weeks I have noticed that when translating the MT Google function is giving me the message every other segment or so: MT Google: Failed to get machine translations, Error while communicating to Server.

Can anyone help? is this a Google issue or that I ahve not ye tupdate my WF Pro software?

It's a Google issue, see http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=188-32

Caroline Dennis
Caroline Dennis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Cant seem to get it to work :( Oct 24, 2011

Pawel_K wrote:

I figured out a method to make Trados Studio work with the new Google Translate API V2.

For those of you who are interested, it is described here: http://translacorner.blogspot.com/

Pawel

[Edited at 2011-10-17 10:30 GMT]

Hi there

I have read through this whole thread and have gone through this fix twice but its made no difference for me. The exact same error message 'Translation Failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' Any ideas? I'm thinking of trialling other software like MemoQ or Wordfast. I have a very large project on with a very short deadline and this is very annoying

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
memoQ, WFA & WFC all work fine with GT Oct 24, 2011

MignotTranslate wrote:
I'm thinking of trialling other software like MemoQ or Wordfast. I have a very large project on with a very short deadline and this is very annoying

FWIW, memoQ, Wordfast Anywhere and Wordfast Classic (*) all work fine with Google Translate, as long as you have activated your API v2 account.
(*) That version isn't publicly available yet, but I can testify it exists and works OK.

Pawel_K
Pawel_K
English to Polish
+ ...
Workaround for Google Translate in Studio - Update Oct 28, 2011

Pawel_K wrote:

A small update:

The first version of the script did not work for languages with extended language codes consisting of more than 2 characters (as far as I know, this is only the case with Chinese: zh-CN or zh-TW; other extended language codes from Trados are not supported by Google Translate anyway.).
If you had any problems with the first version which could be caused by this, now you may try the updated version which should work for all languages supported by Google.
If you use only languages with 2-character language codes (e.g. en, de, it, fr, pl...), you may as well stay with the previous version.

To everyone who said thank you: You are welcome! I didn't expect there to be so much interest

nyelvstudio
nyelvstudio
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Free Google Translate for everyone Oct 29, 2011

For google taranslations "translate.google.com" does the same thing as the built-in google translate in Trados.
It's free, quick, even gives synonyms.
The only drawback is that we have to copy the text to the site and the translation back to trados.
The translations on translate.google.com and the built-in Trados google taranslations are completely identical.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
GT Oct 29, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:
Then, I wonder, how come Google Translate, so often ridiculed here, became such an essential tool people cannot live two months without it?

excellent point!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »