+ ...
Thank you, Pawel Oct 19, 2011

Your workaround is great:)

O Delepine
O Delepine
Local time: 05:04
English to French
same here Oct 19, 2011

same here. worked a treat. Many many thanks Pawel.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 06:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Thanks, it even works for Wordfast! Oct 19, 2011

Incredible

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does it consume a lot of Internet traffic? Oct 20, 2011

I am very happy with the GT4T workaround, but I am starting to get interested in this solution of Pawel.
People who are already using it: do you notice if it affects Internet speed a lot (as Pawel suggested)?

Thanks!!

Shankaran Viswanathan
Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:34
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Pawel! Oct 20, 2011

This is indeed brilliant. Problem solved very fast. Now, if this is all it takes, I wonder why Trados cannot come forth with a similar solution very quickly?

Vishwa
Dehradun
India

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple answer Oct 20, 2011

Shankaran Viswanathan wrote:

This is indeed brilliant. Problem solved very fast. Now, if this is all it takes, I wonder why Trados cannot come forth with a similar solution very quickly?

Vishwa
Dehradun
India

Dear Shankaran,

the question is simple. Because they want you to pay the upgrade to Studio 2011.

Money, money, money....

Pawel_K
Pawel_K
English to Polish
+ ...
...or not so simple Oct 20, 2011

Francisco Mar Rubio wrote:

Shankaran Viswanathan wrote:

the question is simple. Because they want you to pay the upgrade to Studio 2011.

This may not be the main reason, because for now Studio 2011 has the same problem. Moreover, they could make a patch compatible with Studio 2011 only, and this would be another motivation to upgrade for the customers.

In fact, it seems that for a Studio plugin developer this should be a 15 minute job, especially that the old version of the plugin is already available, so this is hard to explain.

Anyway, I am really glad this workaround worked for all of you

[Edited at 2011-10-20 07:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-20 09:14 GMT]

O Delepine
O Delepine
Local time: 05:04
English to French
no impact on Internet Oct 20, 2011

Francisco,

My Internet speed does not suffer one bit. it really is flawless and takes less than 5 mn to complete.

(on the other hand, i've just seen that SDL are currently giving away the Autosuggest Creator add-on "for free" with 2011 upgrades online, so SDL might well be back in favor in my manor...)

have a good day
olivier

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Finnish to French
Indeed, it's not rocket science! Oct 20, 2011

Pawel_K wrote:
In fact, it seems that for a Studio plugin developer this should be a 15 minute job, especially that the old version of the plugin is already available, so this is hard to explain.

Indeed! Support for the Google Translate API v2 was added to Wordfast Anywhere overnight. More about it here: http://youtu.be/19gBOO5xT58

Btw: thanks, Pawel, for the great workaround!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
... Oct 20, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Pawel_K wrote:

Indeed! Support for the Google Translate API v2 was added to Wordfast Anywhere overnight. More about it here: http://youtu.be/19gBOO5xT58

Btw: thanks, Pawel, for the great workaround!

The advantages of "lightweight" software?

Gfarley
Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
I am an SDL junkie and it's time for another "fix"... Oct 20, 2011

I have tried to live without paid support (PSMA) since I bought Trados 2009 two years ago. The first year I needed one because of all the bugs - I filed something like 50 error logs. Then I tried to quit last year but SP2 came along right after my PSMA expired and clobbered my installation. After several hours on these and other forums, I gave up and paid again. SDL Support needed 6 hours to fix my system. This year I was determined to quit cold turkey when my PSMA expires in November. Now Googl... See more
I have tried to live without paid support (PSMA) since I bought Trados 2009 two years ago. The first year I needed one because of all the bugs - I filed something like 50 error logs. Then I tried to quit last year but SP2 came along right after my PSMA expired and clobbered my installation. After several hours on these and other forums, I gave up and paid again. SDL Support needed 6 hours to fix my system. This year I was determined to quit cold turkey when my PSMA expires in November. Now Google Translate has stopped working (you see, this posting IS relevant to this thread) and my pusher, SDL, told me that I could get the new Google "fix" by upgrading to Studio 2011 for "free" if I renewed my PSMA. I am going to try Pawel's fix first, but then I may just have to scrape together 200 Euros. Again.

I am not a bad person. Really I'm not. I'm just a translator who made one bad decision in 2009 and I've been paying for it ever since...

[Edited at 2011-10-20 16:20 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wordfast Anywhere now supports Google Translate API Oct 20, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I don't see how this is supposed to happen either... but I agree with Mariusz that Google had planned this "lock-in" long ago.

The next tool which will suffer much from this decision is clearly Wordfast Anywhere.

I can only indulge in self-congratulations for never having relied on Google Translate.

Hello!

This reminds me of a couple years ago when Google MT suddenly stopped working on a version of WF Classic and translators were understandably pulling out their hair. If you commit to translating say 5,000 words and your productivity falls to the point where you can only do 3,000, what do you tell your client?

Anyways, I just found out that Wordfast Anywhere has just released version 1.4.5 which supports the Google Translate API v2. You can watch this youtube video about it - http://youtu.be/19gBOO5xT58

I'll be testing it today!

Good luck (without MT,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
@ John... Oct 20, 2011

The reaction speed of WF is quite amazing, I must say. Way to go!

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Really interesting thread! Oct 20, 2011

Brilliant thread.
Firstly it shows that nearly everybody has been using GT over the last year despite the strong anti-MT lobby on Proz fora and all the confidentiality issues that surely must now be addressed: after all an individual code is attached to each request a translator makes to the GT server.

Does this use of GT explain the tension on prices that is hinted at in many forum entries - rather than competition from countries with lower employment costs?

I
... See more
Brilliant thread.
Firstly it shows that nearly everybody has been using GT over the last year despite the strong anti-MT lobby on Proz fora and all the confidentiality issues that surely must now be addressed: after all an individual code is attached to each request a translator makes to the GT server.

Does this use of GT explain the tension on prices that is hinted at in many forum entries - rather than competition from countries with lower employment costs?

Is also shows the immediate reactivity of some companies like WF and memoQ. I'm certainly testing out "WF Anywhere" this evening.

This thread also begs the question what would SDL do without ProZ and all the indispensable help generously provided by ProZians.

[Edited at 2011-10-20 17:38 GMT]
Collapse

vadimzj
vadimzj
Local time: 10:04
Worked for me! Oct 20, 2011

Pawel_K wrote:

I figured out a method to make Trados Studio work with the new Google Translate API V2.

For those of you who are interested, it is described here: http://translacorner.blogspot.com/

Pawel

[Edited at 2011-10-17 10:30 GMT]

first it didn't work then I went to - project settings - google translate - and ticked Enabled ("lookup" was ticked)

Thank you,

[Редактировалось 2011-10-20 18:44 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »