Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:02
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Not able to reproduce problem Oct 12, 2011

Francisco Mar Rubio wrote:

Great Bjørnar!!!

I tried what you said but the SDLXLIFF Convertor says it can not find the files, although I clearly specify where they are.

Any clue?

Thanks!

Hi Francisco

I am not able to repro your problem as everything is working smoothly on my computer. For technical issues with SDLXLIFF Converter you would problably have to contact SDL Support.

[Edited at 2011-10-12 08:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-10-12 09:25 GMT]

Mariusz Lasota
Mariusz Lasota
English to Polish
You now need to pay for Google Translate API Oct 12, 2011

As expected, Google has now harvested enough work for free from human translators and now it's time to pay up in return! Google is now shutting down its free google translate service. Shutdown will proceed in stages and service will be limited at first (the problems you are experiencing now) and then will stop completely (December 1, 2011). You will then have to pay to use google API. Your software will have to send a unique code (you need to pay to get one) in each query to receive a res... See more
As expected, Google has now harvested enough work for free from human translators and now it's time to pay up in return! Google is now shutting down its free google translate service. Shutdown will proceed in stages and service will be limited at first (the problems you are experiencing now) and then will stop completely (December 1, 2011). You will then have to pay to use google API. Your software will have to send a unique code (you need to pay to get one) in each query to receive a response.
The problem with SDL Studio is that right now google translate service is "hard coded" into software with no user-adjustable settings, so there is no way of modifying the query to include the unique ID code.
Until SDL issues some kind of update to provide a setting to incorporate the unique ID code, Google Translate API is no more. They will perhaps strike some kind of a deal with Google, but that I think is unlikely. Google has a neat way of using human work for free and then finding ways of making money on it.
So pay up guys!

Google is making some nonsense excuses about the cost of running the free service. This was the plan all along. Let everyone use the service for free initially, harvest translations, let professionals correct them (by sending the corrected segments back), get everyone hooked and then make them pay.

[Edited at 2011-10-12 19:09 GMT]
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:02
Member (2004)
English to Italian
How... Oct 12, 2011

can you send the correct segment back? It stays on your PC, unless I'm missing something... can you explain?

G

Mariusz Lasota wrote:

As expected, Google has now harvested enough work for free from human translators and now it's time to pay up in return! Google is now shutting down its free google translate service. Shutdown will proceed in stages and service will be limited at first (the problems you are experiencing now) and then will stop completely (December 1, 2011). You will then have to pay to use google API. Your software will have to send a unique code (you need to pay to get one) in each query to receive a response.
The problem with SDL Studio is that right now google translate service is "hard coded" into software with no user-adjustable settings, so there is no way of modifying the query to include the unique ID code.
Until SDL issues some kind of update to provide a setting to incorporate the unique ID code, Google Translate API is no more. They will perhaps strike some kind of a deal with Google, but that I think is unlikely. Google has a neat way of using human work for free and then finding ways of making money on it.
So pay up guys!

Google is making some nonsense excuses about the cost of running the free service. This was the plan all along. Let everyone use the service for free initially, harvest translations, let professionals correct them (by sending the corrected segments back), get everyone hooked and then make them pay.

[Edited at 2011-10-12 19:09 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dirty drinking water. Oct 12, 2011

As far as I understand it, Google is trying to ensure that it doesn't pollute its own drinking water, so to speak.

For a very good analysis of the situation, written by Dion Wiggins, see:

'REVIEWING THE FACTS OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT ( http://kv-emptypages.blogspot.com/2011/06/analysis-of-shutdown-announcements-of.html )
... See more
As far as I understand it, Google is trying to ensure that it doesn't pollute its own drinking water, so to speak.

For a very good analysis of the situation, written by Dion Wiggins, see:

'REVIEWING THE FACTS OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT ( http://kv-emptypages.blogspot.com/2011/06/analysis-of-shutdown-announcements-of.html )

Michael
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I don't see how this is supposed to happen either... Oct 12, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

How can you send the correct segment back? It stays on your PC, unless I'm missing something... can you explain?

G

I don't see how this is supposed to happen either... but I agree with Mariusz that Google had planned this "lock-in" long ago.

The next tool which will suffer much from this decision is clearly Wordfast Anywhere.

I can only indulge in self-congratulations for never having relied on Google Translate.

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Why has SDL not prepared for this? Oct 12, 2011

As a long-standing Trados customer, what I'm wondering is why SDL didn't manage to foresee this. The memoQ screenshot uploaded by Michael Beijer appears to suggest that some (at least one) of the competitors apparently did prepare for this. If SDL Trados is reputedly the "industry standard", why are we playing catch-up?

Matteo Ippoliti
Matteo Ippoliti
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 18:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Immediate solution Oct 12, 2011

Paul Malone wrote:

As a long-standing Trados customer, what I'm wondering is why SDL didn't manage to foresee this. The memoQ screenshot uploaded by Michael Beijer appears to suggest that some (at least one) of the competitors apparently did prepare for this. If SDL Trados is reputedly the "industry standard", why are we playing catch-up?

I will have to agree 100% with Paul on this. I'll be very disappointed if they don't come up with a solution immediately. Can we expect a plugin before 1 December, at least?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Possible (temporary) workaround for users of SDL Studio Oct 12, 2011

You could use something like GT4T (http://gt4t.net/en/ ) until Studio gets updated...

The author of this tool, Dallas Cao, has already integrated the paid API 2 into it, and it works in any Windows program...

GT4T Suite integrates Google Translate and Google Dictionary into all Windows applications.
With GT4T running in the background, select some text in any applica... See more
You could use something like GT4T (http://gt4t.net/en/ ) until Studio gets updated...

The author of this tool, Dallas Cao, has already integrated the paid API 2 into it, and it works in any Windows program...

GT4T Suite integrates Google Translate and Google Dictionary into all Windows applications.
With GT4T running in the background, select some text in any application (for example, in Microsoft Word) and then press CTRL+D for Google Dictionary and CTRL+J for Google Translate.

It's obviously not as handy, because you have to click something each time, but it's better than complicated round-tripping via Google Translator Toolkit.

Michael
Collapse

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Immediate solution: totally agree Oct 13, 2011

I can really not understand that SDL was not able to see this coming...

It makes me wonder if I chose the right CAT tool. Really poor customer service!!!

Kenneth Powers
Kenneth Powers  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Simple workaround Oct 13, 2011

What is working for me (so far) is rebooting my router, Google translate will then give you a few more based on your new IP (provided you have a dynamic IP like I do), repeat as needed. My guess is that Google is looking at our IPs to throttle the connection.

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Complain to SDL Oct 13, 2011

I think we all should complain directly to SDL.
I already did it: I am using a product which offered a link to Google Translate when I bought it and now is not working. I think I deserve to get some money back or an immediate solution. And the problem is not Google because I am paying.

Maybe if we all complain, they will launch the plugin faster. I hope.

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer from SDL Oct 13, 2011

I got an answer from SDL:

the plugin will be launched in November with SP1 (Studio 2011). Now they have to tell me if we have to pay for that (since I have Studio 2009).

I really hope we do not have to.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Just out of pure interest: Oct 13, 2011

is Google Translate the most important translator's tool today? Am I missing something? I genuinely want to know. Thanks for explaining.

Mariusz Lasota
Mariusz Lasota
English to Polish
Possible feedback to Google Oct 13, 2011

can you send the correct segment back? It stays on your PC, unless I'm missing something... can you explain?

G

For sure the web service allows correcting the translation before you use it and these corrections are captured by Google.
As far as SDL Studio is concerned you obviously edit a segment (most often substantially) before accepting it and storing in your TM. It is only natural that such a corrected segment would be sent back to Google for storage/analysis. This is of course only a theory and would need to be confirmed by a software engineer who knows how to monitor outgoing traffic from an application. Very few translators would know how to do that or even think of confirming something like this. I do however have a strong feeling that after repeatedly correcting certain (mistranslated) phrases Google translate eventually "learns" the phrase, which would confirm that there is some feedback.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No Oct 13, 2011

Mariusz Lasota wrote:

G

For sure the web service allows correcting the translation before you use it and these corrections are captured by Google.
As far as SDL Studio is concerned you obviously edit a segment (most often substantially) before accepting it and storing in your TM. It is only natural that such a corrected segment would be sent back to Google for storage/analysis. This is of course only a theory and would need to be confirmed by a software engineer who knows how to monitor outgoing traffic from an application. Very few translators would know how to do that or even think of confirming something like this. I do however have a strong feeling that after repeatedly correcting certain (mistranslated) phrases Google translate eventually "learns" the phrase, which would confirm that there is some feedback.

Studio does not send your target segment back to Google. The only thing Google sees is your source segment.

Cheers,
Luis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »