Google Translator not working in Studio
Thread poster: Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:52
English to French
SDL Language Weaver Nov 10, 2011

You can also use SDL Language Weaver as an alternative solution. In Studio 2009, you can set it by going into the Project settings (Translation Memories - Language pairs).

Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Sweden
Local time: 01:52
German to Swedish
+ ...
The SDL plugins have ceased to work Nov 11, 2011

Unfortunately, not only Google Translate but also the SDL plugins (SDL Automated Translation and SDL Language Weaver) have ceased working with Trados Studio. Each time I try to activate any of them, I get the error message "The server does not support any language directions which are compatible with the current project's language directions."

Only a week ago or so they worked with my language pairs English>Swedish and German>Swedish.

Why is this??

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL 'Free' MT Engines Nov 11, 2011

Hello Hans,

I just tested this and English Swedish is fine... both enabled as you can see:

German to Swedish is not supported in the Free engines at all... see this KB for supported language pairs in the free ver
... See more
Hello Hans,

I just tested this and English Swedish is fine... both enabled as you can see:

German to Swedish is not supported in the Free engines at all... see this KB for supported language pairs in the free versions:

http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3989&p=1

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Tor Rustad
Tor Rustad
English to Norwegian
+ ...
GT4T is just great Nov 11, 2011

Scheherezade Suria Lopez wrote:

Hello,

I came across this thread while looking for solutions for this problem and I just wanted to let you know that I've just downloaded the GT4T software (the 6-month license) and it works perfectly.

You just have to press Ctrl+Alt+J in the column of the segment you want translated and, voilà, the text is there for you to check!

I'm really impressed and no, nobody is paying for me to say this

All the best,

Scheherezade

I highly recomend GT4T: I've been using SDL products for many years and was also an early user of Studio 2011 - and did benefit from Google Translate (as long as it lasted...) Even when SDL turns up with an solution for GT/S2011 I'll keep on with GT4T. Scheherezade - I'm sure you have discovered it, but for others on this forum I'd like to point on the intelligent and time-saving hotkeys on GT4T: Double-click CTRL instead of CTRL + C, single click on Space bar (or a number) = CTRL +V. GT4T has also other features, and the app is topped with a exceptional service from the developer. Like Scheherezade; I'm not payed to say this!

Best regards from Norway;

Tor

Lisa Grayson
Lisa Grayson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
One cut-and-paste sentence from GT leads to "object" error Nov 11, 2011

A variation on the original problem:

I was not using Google Translate in Trados Studio 2009. I didn't even know I could do such a thing. However, I was stumped by a single sentence in a 45-page French document, so I tried GT (using the Chrome browser, not in Trados) out of sheer desperation, pasted the garbled English into Trados's target window, edited it... and I've been getting the effing "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error ever since. And not just in th
... See more
A variation on the original problem:

I was not using Google Translate in Trados Studio 2009. I didn't even know I could do such a thing. However, I was stumped by a single sentence in a 45-page French document, so I tried GT (using the Chrome browser, not in Trados) out of sheer desperation, pasted the garbled English into Trados's target window, edited it... and I've been getting the effing "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error ever since. And not just in that translation unit. It just happened for a short sentence I typed in, with no tags at all, and has also popped up for items transferred directly from source to target and numbers in the TM.

I have been using Trados Studio for nearly two years, and this is the first time I've had this problem.

I am wasting precious translation hours. I now know what an API is (application programming interface, in case you too were wondering), my billing data is now part of the Google monster, I have restarted my computer each time I made a change... and I STILL am getting the "object" error.

I'm using Studio 2009 on this project because I had successfully used it for very similar documents for the same client, using the same French>English TMs I created. Now, if I want to meet my deadline, it looks as if I'll have to do most of the translation in Word.

Aaaaargh!
Collapse

Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Just like Hans said, even the SDL plugins do not work! Nov 17, 2011

Indeed, Italian to English (UK and USA) and vice-versa do not work in Studio 2009 SP3. I have tried numerous times and dido.
Am I missing something?

I really do not need the automated translation but it does help speed things up at times. I have nevcer used the SDL servers, thus cannot say if they are worth while. Google Translate was basic at best and required much revision translation-wise.

So, I really do not see why I should upgrade to 2011 when agencies are
... See more
Indeed, Italian to English (UK and USA) and vice-versa do not work in Studio 2009 SP3. I have tried numerous times and dido.
Am I missing something?

I really do not need the automated translation but it does help speed things up at times. I have nevcer used the SDL servers, thus cannot say if they are worth while. Google Translate was basic at best and required much revision translation-wise.

So, I really do not see why I should upgrade to 2011 when agencies are not even asking for it (and do not work with it).

Can anyone from SDL just sort some of these issues out for us poor translators? I feel that overall benefits of using SDL Trados are dropping due to complexity, excessive tech issues, and costs. But this is my opinion.
Collapse

Vincent Lemma
Vincent Lemma  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
SDL Servers seem to be going. Nov 17, 2011

As said in the title, SDL Servers seem ok now after I restarted the project.
Hope SDL caters to its clients with good automated translation solutions. It feels like a hoax to have to pay for Google. Mind you that my comment is not pointed to SDL, but to Google, though I have rarely used Google Translate (or other automated systems).

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
CU2 for SDL Trados Studio 2011 out Nov 22, 2011

All,

This is to let you know that we have now published cumulative update 2 for SDL Trados Studio 2011. CU2 introduces support for Google Translate v2. It is available from our AutoUpdate Servers (restart Studio to trigger the update, or go to Help->Check for Updates) or KB article http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3944&p=1.

The new version of Google Transl
... See more
All,

This is to let you know that we have now published cumulative update 2 for SDL Trados Studio 2011. CU2 introduces support for Google Translate v2. It is available from our AutoUpdate Servers (restart Studio to trigger the update, or go to Help->Check for Updates) or KB article http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3944&p=1.

The new version of Google Translate (Google Translate API v2) is now a paid-for service. The languages supported for translation are defined by Google Translate and may change at any time. Some restrictions may apply depending on the operating system you are using. To use Google Translate, you need to set up a Google account, enable the Google Translate API and create an API key using the Google API console. Follow https://code.google.com/apis/console/?api=translate to get started (you will be redirected to the Google web site).

Note: We are in the process of introducing the same hotfix for SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3. This will be in CU15 and will be available in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Luis
Collapse

Francisco Mar Rubio (X)
Francisco Mar Rubio (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 22, 2011

Thanks!!
Nice to hear!!

SDL Support wrote:

All,

The new version of Google Translate (Google Translate API v2) is now a paid-for service. The languages supported for translation are defined by Google Translate and may change at any time. Some restrictions may apply depending on the operating system you are using. To use Google Translate, you need to set up a Google account, enable the Google Translate API and create an API key using the Google API console. Follow https://code.google.com/apis/console/?api=translate to get started (you will be redirected to the Google web site).

Note: We are in the process of introducing the same hotfix for SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3. This will be in CU15 and will be available in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Luis

Kenneth Powers
Kenneth Powers  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
IMPORTANT if you use GT with Trados Nov 23, 2011

Uncheck "Implicit row activation" under Options and uncheck Google Translate as a memory when revising, it will save you money. If I actually translated everything Google charged me I would be a rich man making over €100,000 a month. We have to find ways to stop Trados from resending everything continuously. SDL should make it so that it asks Google once per segment. Any ideas? fixes?

Phuong Anh Nguyen (X)
Phuong Anh Nguyen (X)
Vietnam
Local time: 06:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
Same here Nov 23, 2011

I got a same problem on Trados Studio 2009 SP3. As I'm new to Trados, and have no TM ready in my PC, and I also got problem with SDL community account server, so this make Trados itself even worse than Google translate on the web, because I can't just seat there and type every single word to my translation and save it to a new TM

Tony.J.A.@DT
Tony.J.A.@DT  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
That long? Nov 23, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

Thanks,
Luis

I appreciate the fact that the fine folks at SDL are working on a fix, but a few weeks? Seriously?

I'm not entirely sold on the usefulness of Studio 2011 yet and would like to keep using 2009 for at least a few more months, so I'm a bit disappointed on the delay to fix one version over the other...

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plugin submitted for review Nov 29, 2011

I have just today submitted my 3rd-party plugin to SDL for review. As soon as it is approved it will be available for download via the OpenExchange site. It will be called "MT Enhanced using Google Translate". Here are the features:

- Allows input of Google API v2 key

- Does not re-send translated segments: only sends segments with a "Not Translated" segment status; conveniently navigate through your document or review it without worrying about increasing your Google
... See more
I have just today submitted my 3rd-party plugin to SDL for review. As soon as it is approved it will be available for download via the OpenExchange site. It will be called "MT Enhanced using Google Translate". Here are the features:

- Allows input of Google API v2 key

- Does not re-send translated segments: only sends segments with a "Not Translated" segment status; conveniently navigate through your document or review it without worrying about increasing your Google character usage.

- Option to redact sensitive text: the ability to link to a list (.txt file) of words, names, or other phrases to be excluded from the text sent to Google (replaced with *****); the current version is limited to 5 phrases, 50 characters each

- Text-only option: gives you the option of sending and receiving text only, and no tags

Right now, I have only tested it on Studio 2009. I am not sure how long the SDL review process takes but will post an update once it is approved.

[Edited at 2011-11-29 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plugin ready for download Nov 30, 2011

My plugin allowing use of Google Translate API v2 in Studio 2009 (with some additional features) is now available for download through the SDL OpenExchange site.

Bjorn-T
Bjorn-T
Error in the new plugin Nov 30, 2011

Patrick Porter wrote:

My plugin allowing use of Google Translate API v2 in Studio 2009 (with some additional features) is now available for download through the SDL OpenExchange site.

Hi Patrick,

I've downloaded your plugin and tested, but get the error message that none of the language pairs I'm using are supported. Very strange since Google Translate support these language combinations. Any clue to what the problem might be? Do you have a restricted number of languages allowed?

It's the language pair: EN>NO

Thanks for your much appreciated help.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator not working in Studio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »