Thread poster: pgschreier
pgschreier
pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:43
German to English
Nov 19, 2010

Hello all,

I've imported a legacy TM and want to add it to a project.

I get the error message,

The translation memory 'XXXXX' will not be used for the following language pairs
German (Switzerland)->English (United Kingdom)

To edit the translation memories for these language pairs, go to the individual language pair level.

I've spent hours trying to figure out what to do, without success (and the documentation -
... See more
Hello all,

I've imported a legacy TM and want to add it to a project.

I get the error message,

The translation memory 'XXXXX' will not be used for the following language pairs
German (Switzerland)->English (United Kingdom)

To edit the translation memories for these language pairs, go to the individual language pair level.

I've spent hours trying to figure out what to do, without success (and the documentation -- no surprise -- sucks).

Any tips on how I can add this TM to my project or modify the TM so I can be added?
(I tried to export the TM to a .TMX file, but it's 15M large, and even Word chokes if I go in and try to manually edit the language settings).

Thanks!

Paul
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 14:43
English to Thai
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 Nov 19, 2010

For SDL Trados 2007 package, I remind that SDLX contains a utility to change source/target of translation files and TM. This can save your time significantly if export TM>TMX>Import to SDLX 2007 TM [SDL Maintain]>SDL Utilities>Export to TMX>Open a new TM in T2009>Import the new TM as a new language pair. Any other better ideas/utilities?

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Check that the language pair fits your document Nov 19, 2010

The language pair of your TM must fit the one you selected for your document. If that is the case, you should be able to add it to the list of the TMs.

Walter

pgschreier
pgschreier  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
language pairs preset Nov 19, 2010

Hi Walter,

The problem is that the client sent a legacy Trados 2007 .ttx file where I can't (or can I?) change the document's language pair.

In that case, I can't change the doc's language pair, and I can't change the TM's language pair, so I seem to be at a dead end.

-- Paul

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You can change both Nov 19, 2010

You can either

(1) Change the language pair of your TTX file by opening it in an editor and change the settings "SourceLanguage=" and "TargetLanguage=" in the preamble.
(2) Change the language pair of your TM by exporting it to TMX, creating a new TM with the correct language pair and importing the exported file.

In your case, solution (a) appears to be the fastest one.

Walter

Joanna Luczak
Joanna Luczak  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
What if the language pair of the TM matches that of the ttx file and the message still appears? May 28, 2015

I got a package with two TMs in the same language pair as the ttx file. So there is no mismatch between languages and the message still appears.
Any ideas on how to solve it? Is it because I am opening the package incorrectly or sth?
Best regards
Joanna

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:43
English to Russian
Confirm... Jul 17, 2015

suasica wrote:

I got a package with two TMs in the same language pair as the ttx file. So there is no mismatch between languages and the message still appears.
Any ideas on how to solve it? Is it because I am opening the package incorrectly or sth?
Best regards
Joanna

I opened a 2011 package in 2015 and experience the same problem. The package and the TM are both us_en. I even tried to upgrade the 2011 TM with 2015 interface. It does not help.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:43
English to Russian
Found it Jul 17, 2015

Solution:
Choose TM options in the 'Source Language -> Target Language' line
NOT in the 'All Language Pairs' line

Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, that works for me too Apr 28, 2017

Stepan Konev wrote:

Solution:
Choose TM options in the 'Source Language -> Target Language' line
NOT in the 'All Language Pairs' line

Thanks, that worked for me too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM not used for following language pairs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »