Global search/replace for ttx files?
Thread poster: Tangopeter
Tangopeter
Tangopeter

Local time: 18:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 22, 2009

I have to proofread hundreds of ttx files, and have to make many, relatively small, global changes.

My version of SDL Trados (8.5/2007) does not have a batch procedure to do this, AFAIK, apart from editing the TM. (Editing the TM in this case is not what I am looking for).

Does anyone know of a handy tool or program to append global changes in ttx files without having to open them? (Tag-problems will not occur in these files.)

Any help much appreciated!

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Look for a Unicode-compliant search and replace tool Dec 22, 2009

Or a Unicode text editor that handles multiple files. I use Ultra Edit 32 - there should be a time-limited demo. Use Search > Replace in files and select Unicode search (the UI names may be different in the current version).

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
you could use Trados Glue Dec 22, 2009

to "glue" all the small ttx files in a master file, than a search/replace will be a piece of cake in one file. The tool is included in SDl Trados from version 2006 (or 2007, not sure).
If using the tool, please be aware of a bug concerning the cleaned versions of the files unglued (wrong extension, which can be solved with simple renaming).

Tangopeter
Tangopeter

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, that sounds very promising... Dec 22, 2009

I didn't know this part of SDL. Will try immediately, thanks!

Will try Ultra Edit 32 too...

[Edited at 2009-12-22 17:03 GMT]

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Search & Replace from Funduc Dec 22, 2009

... is another option. I have been using this software for that kind of tasks for some time - and it also works on ttx files.

The demo version has some limitation as to how many files you can process at the same time, but I think the price of $25 is well invested to be able to batch process an unlimited number of files.

UltaEdit also looks like a good option, though, and seems to be just as powerful as S&R for search and replace operations - if not more. Maybe I should
... See more
... is another option. I have been using this software for that kind of tasks for some time - and it also works on ttx files.

The demo version has some limitation as to how many files you can process at the same time, but I think the price of $25 is well invested to be able to batch process an unlimited number of files.

UltaEdit also looks like a good option, though, and seems to be just as powerful as S&R for search and replace operations - if not more. Maybe I should try it out too...
Collapse

Tangopeter
Tangopeter

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bug in unglued cleaned SDL Trados files? Dec 22, 2009

Thanks, Zoltán.

But if I have to deliver unclean ttx files (and the cleaning is done by the customer), how can I avoid the customer having to rename the files?

In other words, how can I use Glue and nevertheless deliver unclean ttx files that will NOT generate a file extension problem for the customer?

Zoltán Kulcsár
English to Hungarian
- Dec 22, 2009

Tangopeter wrote:

Thanks, Zoltán.

But if I have to deliver unclean ttx files (and the cleaning is done by the customer), how can I avoid the customer having to rename the files?

In other words, how can I use Glue and nevertheless deliver unclean ttx files that will NOT generate a file extension problem for the customer?

if not sending the clean files too, you should warn the customer about the possible problem

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Glue Dec 22, 2009

As far as I remember, Glue not only messes with the file extensions, it also does so within the TTX files, where the paths to the source files are stored. To fix that, you'll need to compare the content of the files before and after and... a program that searches in replaces in multiple TTX files

Zoltán Kulcsár
English to Hungarian
- Dec 22, 2009

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

As far as I remember, Glue not only messes with the file extensions, it also does so within the TTX files, where the paths to the source files are stored. To fix that, you'll need to compare the content of the files before and after and... a program that searches in replaces in multiple TTX files

No, this will not happen when using the tool.

Tiberiu Leon
Tiberiu Leon
Local time: 19:33
English to Romanian
+ ...
Free and open source... Feb 2, 2010

I have seen recently many sites charging money for Firefox, among other programs. At first I was outraged, but then I thought: Lack of information costs money.
The same here: why pay money for a software when there is a free and open source alternative to it: Notepad++.
TTX files are plain xml files, that is text files which can be edited even with Notepad. Why should I deploy a proprietary solution or "glue" the files together when there is a simpler and free procedure at hand? This
... See more
I have seen recently many sites charging money for Firefox, among other programs. At first I was outraged, but then I thought: Lack of information costs money.
The same here: why pay money for a software when there is a free and open source alternative to it: Notepad++.
TTX files are plain xml files, that is text files which can be edited even with Notepad. Why should I deploy a proprietary solution or "glue" the files together when there is a simpler and free procedure at hand? This solution is simple: find - replace.
Collapse

Maria Peicheva
Maria Peicheva
Bulgaria
Greek to Bulgarian
+ ...
Notepad ++ Jul 25, 2014

The "Find in Files" feature in Notepad++ (freeware) does the job beautifully.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Global search/replace for ttx files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »