Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:50
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Apr 27, 2016

I received a collaboration offer from a "localization startup" by email.

First red flag: the email contained very little information - just an email address, contact person's first name and a website. That website gave no more information. I was curious, so I asked for more details. They explained they were still in the process of registering and cound't give more info, but later they came back with a postal address, somewhere in the US. On Google Maps, there's no building at that
... See more
I received a collaboration offer from a "localization startup" by email.

First red flag: the email contained very little information - just an email address, contact person's first name and a website. That website gave no more information. I was curious, so I asked for more details. They explained they were still in the process of registering and cound't give more info, but later they came back with a postal address, somewhere in the US. On Google Maps, there's no building at that address.
Next, I checked the email's origin IP - turns out it was sent from a European country. Further research on the website domain and with the help of Google, LinkedIn, etc. revealed that the website belongs to a person who lives in that European country and happens to have the same name as an employee in a big translation agency I work with - just a coincidence? The email came from a supposedly different person (a "co-founder").

Am I the only one to whom this smells fishy?
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:50
French to English
+ ...
Act like a banker Apr 27, 2016

Fishy or not, a startup is always a high-risk client. A bank won't offer credit to a high-risk client without an adequate guarantee - I don't think you should, either. Ask to be paid in advance.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Distinctly haddocky Apr 27, 2016

I'm getting a whiff of Newlyn harbour as I write!

Niina Lahokoski
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No intention to collaborate Apr 27, 2016

To me this seems like someone might be trying to steal translators (and probably clients) from their employer for their own business, but of course there's no way to be sure. Anyway, I'll definitely steer clear of this potential client.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Possibly Apr 27, 2016

Niina Lahokoski wrote:
To me this seems like someone might be trying to steal translators (and probably clients) from their employer for their own business, but of course there's no way to be sure. Anyway, I'll definitely steer clear of this potential client.

That is possible. It's also possible that they're posting on behalf of that employer. If the agency they work for has a poor BB record then they could be trying to draw in experienced (I mean wary, in this case) translators who would first check the agency's BB record and then run a mile.

I agree that there is a risk with startups. However, I'm quite often prepared to take that risk if they come over as genuine. I'd want to start with a fairly small job, or ask for a deposit to show good intent. I don't think it's the same as a bank - we're not risking thousands of euros, not for a single job. On the other hand, I'm very unlikely to go near an established outsourcer that has more than an isolated poor entry on the BB. Even if they have 5s from end to end I'll be very wary if any reviews say "Some delay in payment but I'd be happy to work with them again", which to me could well mean "I complained and then agreed to give them a 5 in return for payment".

Niina Lahokoski
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm... Apr 27, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
That is possible. It's also possible that they're posting on behalf of that employer. If the agency they work for has a poor BB record then they could be trying to draw in experienced (I mean wary, in this case) translators who would first check the agency's BB record and then run a mile.

In this particular case I, don't think that's the case. Firstly, the agency in question is "big and famous" and has a good LWA, so I don't see any sense in trying to lure in translators in the guise of a never-heard-of startup that has no track record whatsoever. Secondly, I already work with the big agency - I haven't heard from this PM before, though.

In general, I also am willing to give startups a chance, but only if they seem legit.

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Local time: 12:50
Spanish to English
Interesting Apr 28, 2016

Were you offered work directly or were you put through a test process and sent a contract + NDA? I'm currently dealing with an apparent outsourcer for a big agency, but have had no contact with the agency itself... Everything appears to be above board to date, but I'm note 100% sure.

Niina Lahokoski
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No test/NDAs mentioned Apr 28, 2016

sailingshoes wrote:
Were you offered work directly or were you put through a test process and sent a contract + NDA?

No tests or NDAs were discussed, and no actual work either, but they might have come up later if I had kept up the correspondence. Basically, they first inquired about my interest in collaboration and potential projects in general, and then asked me to fill their info form. After my reply they also asked if I could lower the rate I had given (just by one cent, which would make it the same rate I happen to have with that big agency - another coincidence?).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Smell a fish?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »