Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
AATII (no, not argentinian legit AATI)
Thread poster: Susana E. Cano Méndez
AATII
AATII
Canada
sinners and lynching? Apr 17, 2016

Clint Cheng, the CEO of aatii.com, has to work today to finish a rush work for a provincial regulatory body in British Columbia. He will be unable to go to church as usual and he feels sorry for that. He is a sinner indeed.
He is father of two kids, one daughter who is suffering from ADHD, and one son who is autistic. He used to be among top earners in Canada and because he wants to help other translators to get business via aatii.com, he is now making just $20 an hour and stays in office
... See more
Clint Cheng, the CEO of aatii.com, has to work today to finish a rush work for a provincial regulatory body in British Columbia. He will be unable to go to church as usual and he feels sorry for that. He is a sinner indeed.
He is father of two kids, one daughter who is suffering from ADHD, and one son who is autistic. He used to be among top earners in Canada and because he wants to help other translators to get business via aatii.com, he is now making just $20 an hour and stays in office seven days a week.

Why does he have to be running both aatii.com and aatii.org? guess who else would take so many jobs while being paid so modestly?

We sincerely apologize to those who felt offended because we failed to communicate with them as early as it should have been. And we have corrected that mistake. But swearing at us and bombarding our website, and threatening to shut us down, is that really necessary and appropriate?

In the last couple of days, we have received less than ten individuals requesting us to remove them, plus less than ten phone calls. Given the size of our database, the majority has not even expressed any opinion yet. But we still have taken the steps to remove all the questionable accounts. Thousands of users signed up for themselves and we will not shut down to deny their access to our service.

We will honour every reasonable request, but for those who are thirsty for blood of a small start up, please refrain yourself from lynching.
Collapse

Vera H.
Vera H.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:07
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
ClintCheng, you are a lying con artist.... Apr 17, 2016

...you stole the identity of thousands of translators! You keep lying in this forum: nothing is "cleared", just hidden! I urge you to REMOVE my profile in its entirety from your website, or I will pursue this further. You should "dream" within the legal system, not at the expense of others! There are plenty of attorneys in the US with "BIG dreams" as well!!

I was listed on the website (until it was hidden) in one language pair only, but not in the other. I suspect these greedy folks
... See more
...you stole the identity of thousands of translators! You keep lying in this forum: nothing is "cleared", just hidden! I urge you to REMOVE my profile in its entirety from your website, or I will pursue this further. You should "dream" within the legal system, not at the expense of others! There are plenty of attorneys in the US with "BIG dreams" as well!!

I was listed on the website (until it was hidden) in one language pair only, but not in the other. I suspect these greedy folks did not use one directory, but several. I am not listed in the TD, just in ATA and ProZ. I believe we should all stand up against this, since it will ultimately affect the reputation for all organizations.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nope Apr 18, 2016

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

Right now I am sure that the most important thing here is to explain how all data was taken and registered on the site. I am sure it did not simple appear there. This was an illegal action which must be explained and such tale about context is manipulating or distorting.

Just find a site with lots of translator data, and point this at it: https://www.httrack.com/

Michael

[Edited at 2016-04-16 02:10 GMT]

But the search functionality was terrible and I couldn't really be bothered. I assume it's gone now anyway.

Michael

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:07
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
whats is this all about? Apr 18, 2016

I just want to know how they grabbed my name and the fellow translators'. It's a simple question to be answered. Just don't keep going around the bush. Answer: how and where did you get or buy our profiles? Answer that question, Clint Cheng.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 13:09 GMT]

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:07
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Your private life and your personality? Apr 18, 2016

Frankly, nobody cares.

Answer me this, and nothing but this: are you aware that your conduct is illegal?

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:07
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
... Apr 18, 2016

If you received less than 10 requests for removing profiles, why did you "remove" (and I mean hide) dozens of them? Did you happen to read your own Facebook wall, where such requests amount to several times what you claim?

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Are you kidding me, Cheng?! Apr 18, 2016

AATII wrote:

He is father of two kids, one daughter who is suffering from ADHD, and one son who is autistic. He used to be among top earners in Canada and because he wants to help other translators to get business via aatii.com, he is now making just $20 an hour and stays in office seven days a week.

Why does he have to be running both aatii.com and aatii.org? guess who else would take so many jobs while being paid so modestly?

We sincerely apologize to those who felt offended because we failed to communicate with them as early as it should have been. And we have corrected that mistake. But swearing at us and bombarding our website, and threatening to shut us down, is that really necessary and appropriate?

In the last couple of days, we have received less than ten individuals requesting us to remove them, plus less than ten phone calls. Given the size of our database, the majority has not even expressed any opinion yet. But we still have taken the steps to remove all the questionable accounts. Thousands of users signed up for themselves and we will not shut down to deny their access to our service.

We will honour every reasonable request, but for those who are thirsty for blood of a small start up, please refrain yourself from lynching.

Wow, this is really unprofessional, and don't think for a second that anyone believes that someone other than Clint Cheng wrote that load of rubbish above. Are you seriously going to call yourself a saint and make yourself out to be a victim?

I agree that if you are operating above board and the translators you feature have indeed signed up for your service voluntarily, you should be allowed to operate. But by uploading the profiles of thousands of translators who hadn't even heard of you, much less signed up, you made a massive error of judgment (and that's the best case scenario where I give you the benefit of the doubt) -- so welcome to the internet, my friend, where big blunders equal time spent "paying your dues" to the gods of ridicule, disbelief, scorn and wrath.

Bow out of the limelight gracefully, wait for the dust to settle and do your thing, if indeed you are such a saint. Spend time with your children, who apparently have issues that require extra care, love and attention. Don't react like this, though. It really doesn't help your case. It just makes all those so-called 'apologies' appear unauthentic.

He used to be among top earners in Canada and because he wants to help other translators to get business via aatii.com, he is now making just $20 an hour and stays in office seven days a week.

A moron? A conman? Someone who apparently doesn't know how to pick their battles carefully?

[Edited at 2016-04-18 15:48 GMT]

Chiara Sodi
Chiara Sodi
Italy
Local time: 17:07
English to Italian
Trying to be objective here but..... Apr 18, 2016

AATII wrote:

Can you see a few scammer "signature"/"signs in these few sentences....I think so, but don't want to reveal to this "company" the clear mistakes they are making.

Thank you Saint Clint for your devotion to the industry, you could have asked for translators' permission first though.

We sincerely apologize to those who felt offended because we failed to communicate with them as early as it should have been.

People are offended because, and you admitted this, you took and used their names without their consent. Technically, you should not have been able to communicate with them at all.

And we have corrected that mistake.

What mistake? That was completely intentional.

But swearing at us and bombarding our website, and threatening to shut us down, is that really necessary and appropriate?

Considering the UNETHICAL, if not illegal actions you have taken so far, this is the least the affected people can/should do.

Given the size of our database, the majority has not even expressed any opinion yet.

Maybe the majority of the people still DON'T even know they are on your database.
It is a fact that before you hid the profiles, looking for a specific name was difficult and time consuming.

I was thinking of changing my user name to my real name but for the moment, it might be safer not to change it.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 15:45 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Sprat to catch a mackerel is my guess Apr 18, 2016

AATII wrote:

Clint Cheng... used to be among top earners in Canada and ... is now making just $20 an hour and stays in office seven days a week.

I suspect Saint Clint expects to revert to his usual level of income before too long. I seem to recall the mechanics of the site involved holding payment for translation jobs in escrow. I daresay that can be quite lucrative, if you know what you're doing.

And having AATII as the name of both a non-profit and a commercial operation still stinks like 5 loaves and 2 fishes that have been left out in the sun for a month, no matter how often the instigator goes to church.

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
Portugal
English to Portuguese
The questionable Lixin Cheng Apr 18, 2016

1. On his writings, Lixin Cheng now uses the expression "questionable listings" to refer to the 20,000+ profiles he created in his website by harvesting data from other platforms, by doctoring data, assigning "quality" ratings and posting fees charged by the "listed" translators. Has Lixin Cheng ever questioned himself about what he now calls "questionable" being truly questionable?

2. On a previous post, Lixin Cheng stated: «We act like an eBay in the translation indust
... See more
1. On his writings, Lixin Cheng now uses the expression "questionable listings" to refer to the 20,000+ profiles he created in his website by harvesting data from other platforms, by doctoring data, assigning "quality" ratings and posting fees charged by the "listed" translators. Has Lixin Cheng ever questioned himself about what he now calls "questionable" being truly questionable?

2. On a previous post, Lixin Cheng stated: «We act like an eBay in the translation industry». Only, as Jill R. Sommer put it on her "Musings from an overworked translator" blog: «On eBay buyers and sellers have all set up their own accounts.» Have you questioned yourself, Lixin Cheng, about this?

3. On his "A Message for Concerned Translators", AATII, aka Lixin Cheng, wrote: «In the last couple of days, we have received less than ten individuals requesting us to remove them...»

4. On another post, this time by AATII (i.e., Lixin Cheng) writes: «Even only twenty or so individuals contacted us and asked to remove them...»

5. And on Twitter (@AATIICOM), the same Lixin Cheng wrote: «...only about twenty actually contacted us to remove them»

6. That's funny, Lixin Cheng, on your Facebook (AATII) alone, today, I counted 43 names requesting removal of their data. You have to become a better liar.

7. «Don't lynch a small start up», you say? Lynching? Nah! We just want to eradicate a tumor. While it is small and starting up!
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Curiouser and curiouser... Apr 18, 2016

Angela Rimmer wrote:

AATII wrote:

Wow, this is really unprofessional,

It's beyond unprofessional, it's hilarious.
I'm hoping for more, what about Mr. Cheng's maternal and fraternal ancestors? They certainly must had gone through lots of heartbreaking hardship and suffering too. I think we have the right to know. And how come the mother of his children has been left out... I smell some high quality drama there.
Don't be so shy, Mr Cheng, give us more juicy details!!!

[Edited at 2016-04-18 20:13 GMT]

AATII
AATII
Canada
We welcome constructive feedback Apr 18, 2016

After we cleared our database and our explanations/apologies went out, only a few individuals keep criticizing us and even threaten to shut us down.

We welcome constructive suggestions on how to run our platform legitimately, but bitterness and resentment will not get us anywhere. To those who hate us and resort to abusive language, they will remain in that mood no matter what we do, so we will have to ignore them.

We made mistakes, and who hasn't? We will not run awa
... See more
After we cleared our database and our explanations/apologies went out, only a few individuals keep criticizing us and even threaten to shut us down.

We welcome constructive suggestions on how to run our platform legitimately, but bitterness and resentment will not get us anywhere. To those who hate us and resort to abusive language, they will remain in that mood no matter what we do, so we will have to ignore them.

We made mistakes, and who hasn't? We will not run away from our responsibilities, even legal challenges. So far we have not received any notice of legal action from individuals or institutes. Frankly, we are not afraid to defend ourselves in a court, where at least you can expect a fair trial without exposure to abusive language, ill-willed spinning and lynching.

We observed a surge of visits to aatii.com on April 15, then quickly dropped down to normal level and no more new requests to remove are received. For the reasonable voices we heard, thank you and we will do the right thing and invite you to opt in.

What does not kill us will make us better and stronger.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 19:30 GMT]
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:07
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oh, that was really smart and creative, Kiaora. Thank you Apr 18, 2016

kiara kiaora wrote:

AATII wrote:

Can you see a few scammer "signature"/"signs in these few sentences....I think so, but don't want to reveal to this "company" the clear mistakes they are making.

Thank you Saint Clint for your devotion to the industry, you could have asked for translators' permission first though.

We sincerely apologize to those who felt offended because we failed to communicate with them as early as it should have been.

People are offended because, and you admitted this, you took and used their names without their consent. Technically, you should not have been able to communicate with them at all.

And we have corrected that mistake.

What mistake? That was completely intentional.

But swearing at us and bombarding our website, and threatening to shut us down, is that really necessary and appropriate?

Considering the UNETHICAL, if not illegal actions you have taken so far, this is the least the affected people can/should do.

Given the size of our database, the majority has not even expressed any opinion yet.

Maybe the majority of the people still DON'T even know they are on your database.
It is a fact that before you hid the profiles, looking for a specific name was difficult and time consuming.

I was thinking of changing my user name to my real name but for the moment, it might be safer not to change it.

[Edited at 2016-04-18 15:45 GMT]

Is AATII, Clint Cheng, the CEO willing to answer the Question and admit this was not a mistake, but intentional?

[Edited at 2016-04-18 20:05 GMT]

Karen Pellerin
Karen Pellerin  Identity Verified
France
French to English
AATII - Accreditation Committee Apr 19, 2016

It appears to me that the profiles of the Accreditation Committee are bogus.

I could not find any information whatsoever on the person named as "Legal Counsel".

I could find information on the committee member with the first name "Chris" that made no reference to being an AATII member whatsoever.

The profile for "Fatima" is confusing. Sometimes the "member" is female, sometimes male. A translator with her first and last name is in the STIBC directory.... See more
It appears to me that the profiles of the Accreditation Committee are bogus.

I could not find any information whatsoever on the person named as "Legal Counsel".

I could find information on the committee member with the first name "Chris" that made no reference to being an AATII member whatsoever.

The profile for "Fatima" is confusing. Sometimes the "member" is female, sometimes male. A translator with her first and last name is in the STIBC directory.

The profile for "Mourad" states that he is a member of the "Society of Interpreters and Translators of British Columbia" which does not exist. The "Society of Translators and Interpreters of British Columbia" does, but "Mourad" is not a certified member. He is an associate member, which is not the same thing.

The profile for "Yom" says that he is registered with the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. According to the STIBC the working languages of "Yom" are Portuguese and English, yet the AATII profile makes no mention of Portuguese.

Are any of the above connected with AATII? I suspect not.

[Edited at 2016-04-19 17:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-19 17:58 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removal requested by poster.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AATII (no, not argentinian legit AATI)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »