Chosana Thanabhumi  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:41
Member (2010)
German to Thai
+ ...
Nov 15, 2014

Dear colleagues,

I have just found out that my name appears on lingvopoint.com with my photo, language pairs and the rates that are not my usual rates. The site was unknown to me, and I have never been contacted by lingvopoint.com. I think they just copied translators' profiles from Proz.com. When I clicked "Send message" on my fake profile there, I got an error message: "Access denied. You are not allowed to do this", then I w
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have just found out that my name appears on lingvopoint.com with my photo, language pairs and the rates that are not my usual rates. The site was unknown to me, and I have never been contacted by lingvopoint.com. I think they just copied translators' profiles from Proz.com. When I clicked "Send message" on my fake profile there, I got an error message: "Access denied. You are not allowed to do this", then I was redirected to a login form. When I clicked "Support", "About" or "Contacts" on the site, there is no contact information of the site. They claim that there are 43158 translators working for them. The "Hot projects" section on their first page seems to be copied from translation jobs that were posted on Proz.com. I found their email address when I looked up the domain in the Whois database, but I cannot find anything when I enter their email address into Google.

Do you find your name there too? Can we do something about this?

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:42 GMT]
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm there too Nov 15, 2014

I'm there too, though I've never heard of this website and certainly didn't sign up for it.

Andrea Bauer
Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
I´m there too, without my authoraziation Nov 15, 2014

Hi Chosana,

thank you for bringing up this topic. In fact, I checked my name and I found my name and foto -the same from my ProZ.-profile - listed.
I certainly did NOT register to this site, as for the other site that was discussed in another thread.
It´s really outrageous that the site owners "steal" our profiles without even contacting us. Are we all becoming fair game for their business frauds?

I expect ProZ.-com to take some action to stop this.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
My company with logo Nov 15, 2014

Just checked that. I am not with my name their, but with the name of my company and my logo. They copied the text on my profile on ProZ, invented a rate for interpretation and make me earn about 1000 dollars a month. I am in the language industry since 2014 - year I joined ProZ. Great! There are more than 40 000 translators on this website.

Who has got an idea what we can do about that?

I forgot to mention that I absolutely disagree with that and never contacted this ho
... See more
Just checked that. I am not with my name their, but with the name of my company and my logo. They copied the text on my profile on ProZ, invented a rate for interpretation and make me earn about 1000 dollars a month. I am in the language industry since 2014 - year I joined ProZ. Great! There are more than 40 000 translators on this website.

Who has got an idea what we can do about that?

I forgot to mention that I absolutely disagree with that and never contacted this homepage.

[Modifié le 2014-11-15 16:29 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Have a look at the "clients"... Nov 15, 2014

There are three categories on this site: translators, clients and projects.

I think some of us are also in "clients" (saw some photographs I know from ProZ....)

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I'm in there too Nov 15, 2014

With some ridiculous rates - interpretation at $23 ph? Not that I do interpretation. I wonder if they have any genuine translators there. I hope someone can find out what can be done about this.

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
There as well Nov 15, 2014

Found my name and ProZ photo as well. Interestingly my languages are Breakfast and English. That should get me a lot of jobs!

Peter Nicholson (X)
Peter Nicholson (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
They are using my profile too Nov 15, 2014

Thank you, Chosana, for pointing this out.

My name and photo are there too, along with other data lifted from my ProZ profile, and they have invented my rates. This use of information about me is completely unauthorised and fraudulent. I have taken screenshots as evidence. I am sure the ProZ staff will want to take action, although in reality there may not be much they can do to put a stop to this.

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Me, as well Nov 15, 2014

Thank you for posting this, Chosana. I'm listed too, with my photo, without ever having signed up for that site and with incorrect information.

I did not and do not authorize this use of my information and photo.

The WHOIS information for the site lists the owner as living in the British Virgin Islands:
https://whois.domaintools.com/lingvopoint.com

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Jobs Nov 15, 2014

I wonder also where they got the jobs from?

Do you think they also copied them somewhere? (May would be interesting for ProZ and other serious sites as well...)

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Jobs are all stolen Nov 15, 2014

From ProZ.com and TC.

Maybe from other portals as well, I haven't checked further.

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:59 GMT]

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Margarita Eleni Nov 15, 2014

The name of the owner of the site seems to be

Margarita Eleni

I do not find any Margarita Eleni on google though (except some women in Greece whom I do not think involved).

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Stolen jobs Nov 15, 2014

@ Natalie:

That's what I thought as well!

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Proz job appearing on the lingvopoint site Nov 15, 2014

Here is a "project" from that site which seems to be the same as a recent Proz job:

http://lingvopoint.com/index.php?e=projects&m=show&id=5514
http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/959425

Note that on the Proz page above, it clearly states that "
... See more
Here is a "project" from that site which seems to be the same as a recent Proz job:

http://lingvopoint.com/index.php?e=projects&m=show&id=5514
http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/959425

Note that on the Proz page above, it clearly states that "The outsourcer has requested that this job not be reposted elsewhere."
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
How to report Nov 15, 2014

Here are the abuse reports I am going to send myself. Anyone can do it. These methods are often effective, as I have found out in the past when some of my articles have been scraped by rogue sites.

1. Complain about copyright infringement to the abuse e-mail address listed for the registrar in Whois: [email protected] .

2. Complain about copyright infringement to the hostin
... See more
Here are the abuse reports I am going to send myself. Anyone can do it. These methods are often effective, as I have found out in the past when some of my articles have been scraped by rogue sites.

1. Complain about copyright infringement to the abuse e-mail address listed for the registrar in Whois: [email protected] .

2. Complain about copyright infringement to the hosting company Digital Ocean on https://www.digitalocean.com/company/contact/#tab_abusetrigger .

3. File a copyright infringement report with Google at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice?rd=1 .

4. If you are a US resident, consider reporting it to The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), which is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).
http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

I suggested complaining to NephoScale too but below is the reply I have received from them:

"Hello,

The web site / domain lingvopoint.com is currently hosted by DigitalOcean.com so we at NephoScale Inc. do not provide any services to them at the moment.

Please see below:

http://whois.domaintools.com/104.131.120.74
http://whois.domaintools.com/lingvopoint.com

PS
If you have IP address they previously used on our systems (NephoScale) please let us know.

Thank you!"

[Edited at 2014-11-16 11:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-16 11:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-16 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »