Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:14
French to German
+ ...
Answer of Digital Ocean Nov 15, 2014

Here is the answer of Digital Ocean:

Thank you for submitting your abuse complaint. One of our support engineers has picked it up and assigned it to the customer in question and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks so much,
DigitalOcean

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Pro user and user rating Nov 15, 2014

Well apparently I'm a Pro user of the site with a 'Raiting' (yes, with an 'i!) of 451.
I apparently charge $96 per hour and have 5 reviews from agencies I've never heard of!!

This is all starting to get out of hand. I think Proz seriously needs to consider making profiles visible to paying users only.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Visibility Nov 15, 2014

Ivana UK wrote: I think Proz seriously needs to consider making profiles visible to paying users only.

I don't think we should throw out the baby with the bath water. The purpose of being visible is to sell, after all. Going into hiding isn't fantastic as marketing strategy. Why would I want to pay to be present on a site where users have to pay just to find me?

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shot in foot Nov 15, 2014

Ivana UK wrote:
I think Proz seriously needs to consider making profiles visible to paying users only.

I wonder how many potential clients - end-users in particular - will pay an annual site subscription just for the privilege of looking for service providers in a directory.

No, the answer lies elsewhere...

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
Abuser's (dare I use the 'N' word?) native language? Nov 15, 2014

Ivana UK wrote:

Well apparently I'm a Pro user of the site with a 'Raiting' (yes, with an 'i!) of 451.

That's only one of many English-language errors on the site. Whoever's behind this scam may be an IT geek, but (s)he ain't no linguist!

If you look at the source code of the pages, you'll see the metadata keywords are in Russian (or a similar language using the cyrillic alphabet):
meta name="keywords" content="биржа переводчиков, заказать перевод, найти переводчика, биржа переводов, ищу переводчика"

I put that through "every translator's best friend (!), GT", assuming it was in fact Russian. And GT dutifully asked me if I'd misspelled "ищу".

[Edited at 2014-11-15 23:09 GMT]

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Agree with Thomas Nov 15, 2014

@ Ivana: I dont think so neither and completely agree with Thomas. I got quite a few direct clients via ProZ over the last months and they are not paying members!

Perhaps there are other possibilities to make simple copying of profiles and texts harder, I dont know!

Ana Lourenço
Ana Lourenço  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am also there. Nov 15, 2014

I am also there.
And they refer my interpreting rates. I don't do interpreting and never did.
They even post coments of "clients" I never had.
How can we stop this?

Anna Lautzenheiser (X)
Anna Lautzenheiser (X)  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
I am there as well Nov 15, 2014

Found my "profile" and a review for a job I didn't do. Trying to figure out how to delete my profile from this site.

[Edited at 2014-11-15 23:48 GMT]

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
What is this scam exactly like? Will they sell translations and say we have done them? Nov 15, 2014

Just discovered that if I was a paying member I could send a message to my stolen profile and had a look at their payment conditions. Here is a copy:

A PRO Account – 15 USD per month
You get a status that marks you out in comparison with other translators. A PRO account provides you with the following benefits:
the first place in the list of users,
you can see the contact information of users, and
users can see your contact information.
Special pla
... See more
Just discovered that if I was a paying member I could send a message to my stolen profile and had a look at their payment conditions. Here is a copy:

A PRO Account – 15 USD per month
You get a status that marks you out in comparison with other translators. A PRO account provides you with the following benefits:
the first place in the list of users,
you can see the contact information of users, and
users can see your contact information.
Special placement on the home page – USD 15
Your profile is advertised on the home page of the website.
Special placement of the project on the "front page" – USD 30 per month
Your project will be pin posted on the home page for one month (or during the paid period)
Special placement of the project as "the first in the list" – USD 15 per month
In the section "find a job", your project will be higher than projects placed for free. The service is provided for one month (or during the paid period)
Mailing information about a project – USD 5 per month
An invitation to take part in the project will be sent to translators meeting the requirements of your task.
*** Some users can ask "Why do we need online paid services?"
It is just because some paid services are designed to enable you to stand out among other members (to advertise yourself or your ad).
It is also not clear why the website administration introduces restrictions and creates PRO accounts. These accounts are created for those users who share the convenience of our service and see it as a useful working tool. Besides, absence of a PRO account is not a death sentence, and you can work with customers on the website without having it.
Buying a paid account is rather a sympathy for the website developers and expression of support for the developing project. We think you have noticed that our website does not place advertisements. Respectively, the website does not have any source of income to pay for the server, the developers’ services, and for advertising. The project is based on the enthusiasm of the administration only.
All funds received from the sale of fee-based services are spent for the project development: the functional design and the project advertising.
So if you like the Lingvopoint project, you can support it by buying a PRO account.

I wonder whether they do this by earning a maximum of money by all these fees above or will they also sell translations and tell customers we (our false profiles) have done them?
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
France
French to German
+ ...
Police Nov 15, 2014

Maybe we should inform the police as well?

Matthew Paines
Matthew Paines
Finland
Local time: 12:14
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
I am there too Nov 16, 2014

I'm there too, with a rating of 396.
No sorry, make that a 'raiting'.
What on earth is a 'raiting'?

Tiago Neto
Tiago Neto  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I've had it Nov 16, 2014

Well, that another nail in ProZ's coffin, as far as I'm concerned.

Natasha Zadorosny
Natasha Zadorosny  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am also in this list Nov 16, 2014

Hi!

A friend, Patrícia Franco, told me that I am in Lingvo Point list, with my name and my photo. It is my first time in a scam list and I don`t know what to do, but I want do something and I here to support you and help in what is necessary.

Sincerely,

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
IDs stolen? Nov 16, 2014

Natalie wrote:

From ProZ.com and TC.

Maybe from other portals as well, I haven't checked further.

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:59 GMT]

My God!!! I am outraged!

I can't believe my profile was taken exactly as it is from Proz.

This is absolutely unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Where is Proz? Nov 16, 2014

natashaz wrote:

Hi!

A friend, Patrícia Franco, told me that I am in Lingvo Point list, with my name and my photo. It is my first time in a scam list and I don`t know what to do, but I want do something and I here to support you and help in what is necessary.

Sincerely,

What has Proz done? Where is the site staff? This is a police case..

I don't want my name on that site...I never hear of it.....

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »