Thread poster: Chosana Thanabhumi
Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:36
English to Czech
+ ...
Another incarnation of identity theft? Nov 17, 2014

Same as Agnes here (cannot access the website, "the connection has timed out").
I'd like to believe Proz staff or some of your complaints has something to do with it.

And @Daria: with all respect, I think you missed the point. If those websites were just republishing the information, I don't think anybody would object. But we're in Scam forum here. If they put there some ridiculous rates next to your name, with
... See more
Same as Agnes here (cannot access the website, "the connection has timed out").
I'd like to believe Proz staff or some of your complaints has something to do with it.

And @Daria: with all respect, I think you missed the point. If those websites were just republishing the information, I don't think anybody would object. But we're in Scam forum here. If they put there some ridiculous rates next to your name, with (however non functional) contact button, then the suspicion is they're posing as you to lure some customers. That'd be just another incarnation of identity theft. Locking up all Proz wouldn't solve this (and would kill Proz for sure).

I'd definitely like to know what's the aim of that sites.... with the previous one it seemed to be gathering the email addresses (linked to your name) but with this one...? The contact buttons were not (yet?) functional anyway (somebody here said), so...?

[Edited at 2014-11-17 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Will AmateurZ.com act? Nov 17, 2014

[quote]Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia wrote:

We should be allowed at least this tiny amount of privacy! These forums ought to be closed and secured against indexing. After all, even Facebook allows closed and private groups, why not a professional resource like Proz?

Why do you think AmateurZ.com is a professional resource? ;@)
Because some of us pay for privileged membership?
In my mind, in the last 6 - 9 months, time and again, AmateurZ.com has proven that it operates for money and no other reason. Not for the benefit of the industry, nor for the benefit of its freelance clients either (remember D1x1t - another 'agency' that published the CPN list of members as their collaborators at €0,05/word - well Amateurz.com have done nothing to defend us there either, they continue to be associated with the CPN).

Couldn't AmateurZ.com use some of the €500,000+ they collect each year from the paying members who have had their data "re-published" and altered to really track down this fraudster and make an example of them? Take them to courts in their country? Will they? I don't think they'll even bother to file a complaint, as so many members have already taken care of it for them. Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to send out an email about the matter!!

Bye bye AmateurZ.com - I'll be spending my membership on other forms of marketing from now on......

[Edited at 2014-11-17 11:29 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
This suffices Nov 17, 2014

Natalie wrote:

From ProZ.com and TC.

Maybe from other portals as well, I haven't checked further.

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:59 GMT]

Perhaps you can find out who owns that site and then report him/her to the police. This is a serious Internet crime.

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
We are working at this Nov 17, 2014

Thayenga wrote:
Perhaps you can find out who owns that site and then report him/her to the police. This is a serious Internet crime.

We are working at this!

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
That may not be far from the truth Nov 17, 2014

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia wrote:
It makes me feel like I'm constantly in a room with potential high-level clients, who are silently listening to my every word.

That is indeed how I feel when posting on ProZ forums. For as long as I post in my professional capacity it is not a place that I feel I can relax.

Dan

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Good Nov 17, 2014

Natalie wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

We are working at this!

Thank you, Natalie. Please keep us posted.

@ Dan

Yes, potential clients are everywhere and are able to read whatever we write on the Net. I still think, that forum posts should not be accessible for anyone who is not a translator or interpreter, aside from the moderators, of course.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Me too, but ... Nov 17, 2014

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia wrote:
It makes me feel like I'm constantly in a room with potential high-level clients, who are silently listening to my every word.

Personally I don't think that's a bad thing as it helps to keep discussions civil and professional and makes us all think before we speak. I rather like that.

Mariana Moreira
Mariana Moreira
Portugal
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Link doesn't word Nov 17, 2014

Strangely the site isn't working for me, so I cannot even see if I am or not listed there, anyone else?

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Link Nov 17, 2014

I think the site has been taken down or become unavailable since this thread was started Mariana. I can't see it any more either, but I could initially.

Rachel

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Thank you Nov 17, 2014

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hello all,

As I posted earlier ( http://www.proz.com/post/2366096#2366096 ), site staff are aware of the issue and are working on it. I have posted the following notice on the home page:

It has been reported that directory listings from some ProZ.com users have been published on lingvopoint.com. The ProZ.com site team is aware of the issue and is taking steps to address this.

To be clear, there is no indication that the information involved is private, but rather information available publicly in profiles. Most of the members who have reported this issue indicate that the republished material is a mixture of public profile information and fabricated details. It has also been reported that the publicly visible information on some job postings has been republished on the site mentioned.

The ProZ.com site team is working to have the republished material removed, and will post any updates on the issue here and in the forum thread where it was reported: http://www.proz.com/topic/277712

Thank you to the members who reported this in the forum and via the support system.

I'll post back here with further news.

Jared

Dear Jared,
I want to thank you for your quick and seemingly efficient action.

Best regards,
Andrea

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I don't get connected Nov 17, 2014

I don't get connected to that site.
It might already have been taken down.

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Nov 17, 2014

Peter Motte wrote:

I don't get connected to that site.
It might already have been taken down.

It has been taken down. Wonder for how long.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:36
SITE STAFF
Thanks again to everyone who reported this and took action Nov 17, 2014

Hello all,

First of all, thanks for your patience and thank you again to everyone who has reported this issue and taken action. As several others here have already noted, the site is currently no longer available. ProZ.com staff have taken steps to make sure the republished material is taken down and not posted again (as have others who have posted in this thread). Steps are also being taken to ensure a more rapid response to an issue like this in the future.

Technical
... See more
Hello all,

First of all, thanks for your patience and thank you again to everyone who has reported this issue and taken action. As several others here have already noted, the site is currently no longer available. ProZ.com staff have taken steps to make sure the republished material is taken down and not posted again (as have others who have posted in this thread). Steps are also being taken to ensure a more rapid response to an issue like this in the future.

Technical safeguards already exist that prevent certain types of this "scraping". However, the scraping of publicly displayed information is not something that can be prevented entirely. It is the ProZ.com site team's responsibility to do what it can in instances like this to have material removed when it has been republished.

If you become aware of an instance of republished material, please report it to site staff. The fastest way to reach staff is through the support system.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted here and helped get the word out. If any of the above is unclear or you have questions, feel free to let me know. You can also reach me directly at [email protected] .
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Complain about identity theft? Nov 17, 2014

@ Jared Tabor: Do you suggest that we complain about identity theft in our countries?

Ward Whittaker
Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:36
Portuguese to English
Not acceptable ! Nov 17, 2014

"However, the scraping of publicly displayed information is not something that can be prevented entirely."

I don't agree. I am an IT engineer Jared (see my CV) and this was a serious hack that CAN be prevented. Your security was lax but Proz will not admit it. As I said this is not someone copying and pasting, they were INSIDE your damn servers. I would like to know EXACTLY what Proz will DO to ensure this does not happen again. The comment: "Steps are being taken" does not cut the
... See more
"However, the scraping of publicly displayed information is not something that can be prevented entirely."

I don't agree. I am an IT engineer Jared (see my CV) and this was a serious hack that CAN be prevented. Your security was lax but Proz will not admit it. As I said this is not someone copying and pasting, they were INSIDE your damn servers. I would like to know EXACTLY what Proz will DO to ensure this does not happen again. The comment: "Steps are being taken" does not cut the mustard here Jared. We need more specifics or you will find professional translators like me will abandon Proz faster than women and kids jumping off the Titanic. All Proz's responses to this crisis, and make no mistake, this is a crisis, have been slow and non-committal. We want to know EXACTLY how this happened and what your are doing about it. You need to set up some type of two or three step verification process that screens those looking at our profiles.
Regards
Ward

[Edited at 2014-11-17 20:24 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another unauthorised directory listing - lingvopoint.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »