Thread poster: Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 13, 2014

This is the name given by a scammer who copied my CV. Someone received it and immediately noticed it was fake . He got in touch with me and let me know it. I have also sent the file to http://www.translator-scammers.com.

Ann Kapborg
Ann Kapborg  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:43
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Outrageous Nov 13, 2014

Kapborg is a very uncommon name and I've stumbled upon a horse that was named Kapborg, but this!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:43
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Imprudent indeed Nov 14, 2014

Good thing he notified you so that you found out and could take the appropriate action. These thieves are ruthless and unconcerned with ruining a translator's reputation - which seems to be their actual intention.

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really Nov 14, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

Good thing he notified you so that you found out and could take the appropriate action. These thieves are ruthless and unconcerned with ruining a translator's reputation - which seems to be their actual intention.

I think it is difficult for someone to remember that another CV has the same content. Actually what these scammers want is money. They approach others and ask for payment in advance or else deliver some garbage and hope for the better in terms of immediate payment via PayPal.

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
what I ask myself Nov 14, 2014

What I ask myself: Are these scammers too stupid to create their own fictitious super-duper CV? Why do they have to commit the worse crime and steal CVs from real people? I don't get it...

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hi Nov 14, 2014

tietzes wrote:

What I ask myself: Are these scammers too stupid to create their own fictitious super-duper CV? Why do they have to commit the worse crime and steal CVs from real people? I don't get it...

They can hardly speak English. Thats why they neither write their address nor phone no. On the Cv. Thats also a giveaway for people who receive their emails.

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Okay, but... Nov 17, 2014

Helena Grahn wrote:

They can hardly speak English. Thats why they neither write their address nor phone no. On the Cv. Thats also a giveaway for people who receive their emails.

...how on earth are they supposed to translate then? They might not speak English and thus don't translate from English, but if they wanted, they could frame a CV in their mother tongue and contact local agencies only (or apply to agencies in countries where their language is spoken/understood). And even if they did write a CV in English, the fact that English presumably doesn't belong to their working languages should be regarded as a mitigating circumstance in case of errors. What's more, doesn't a CV consist more or less of keywords, anyway (languages/areas of specialization/rates/...)? I don't understand this behaviour. At least, it doesn't amount to identity theft as long as the name of the CV holder is not involved.

Helena Grahn
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
they just like doing the way they do it... who said they are bright? Nov 17, 2014

tietzes wrote:

Helena Grahn wrote:

...how on earth are they supposed to translate then? They might not speak English and thus don't translate from English, but if they wanted, they could frame a CV in their mother tongue and contact local agencies only (or apply to agencies in countries where their language is spoken/understood). And even if they did write a CV in English, the fact that English presumably doesn't belong to their working languages should be regarded as a mitigating circumstance in case of errors. What's more, doesn't a CV consist more or less of keywords, anyway (languages/areas of specialization/rates/...)? I don't understand this behaviour. At least, it doesn't amount to identity theft as long as the name of the CV holder is not involved.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rebecca Kapborg

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »