seika
seika  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2014

I received an email asking me if I'm interested in translating a 320-page book. The sender uses gmail and there's no information on the agency other than the sender's name. I told him I would be happy to do it if he/they can pay me advance pay, since I have never worked for him before.

His reply was: Actually I represent an agency and we are situated in Cheshire, UK.
Please reply ASAP. We would really appreciate if you can do the sample translation for us. It will help us to
... See more
I received an email asking me if I'm interested in translating a 320-page book. The sender uses gmail and there's no information on the agency other than the sender's name. I told him I would be happy to do it if he/they can pay me advance pay, since I have never worked for him before.

His reply was: Actually I represent an agency and we are situated in Cheshire, UK.
Please reply ASAP. We would really appreciate if you can do the sample translation for us. It will help us to examine the quality then. More you will know about us and the book after we see your translation and if chosen to work with us.

One of my colleagues said she had the same experience before but it didn't end well because the publisher was a second-rate one.

Should I take this 'sample test" (a page from the book)...?
Have you had similar experience?
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:34
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just forget about it Aug 11, 2014

Serious, professional people write serious, professional e-mails when they have projects of any size, and certainly when they have a book they want to be translated.

Such people introduce themselves or their companies in their first e-mail, because they want to convice you that you should cooperate with them.

Ignore this amateur,
Gerard

seika
seika  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice. Aug 11, 2014

Thank you Gerard. I will take your advise and do nothing.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Forget it or... Aug 12, 2014

I agree with Gerad. If this is a legitimate publisher, then they would surely know how to write a decent business email.

In the future (or if you're really interested in this project), you should always ask for an advanced payment. If the prospective customer is really serious about the job, s/he will agree to split payments, e. g. 20% up-front, 30% after delivery of about 50% of the translation, and the remaining 50% upon completion.

seika
seika  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did ask for an advance pay. Aug 12, 2014

Thank you Thayenga,

That's what I did. I pointed out that his email had NO info except his name (and that the book was 320-page long).

I replied to this man and said I wouldn't take the job and told him why.

And this is his reply:

>Sorry but I also choose to decline your offer since you are too rude. If you cannot accept good natured professionalism, then I am sorry.

His name is Peter Longman

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Well done Aug 12, 2014

That reply sounds like the best possible confirmation that this is not a serious customer!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Forget it! Aug 12, 2014

I was contacted by the same "Peter Longman" asking me if I was interested in translating a document EN-PT, no volume, no deadline, no information about him or any agency, just a gmail... So, I answered:

"Sorry but your name does not ring a bell! In order to give an informed answer, it would be useful to know who you are… Kind regards"

Silence (so far)!

Co
... See more
I was contacted by the same "Peter Longman" asking me if I was interested in translating a document EN-PT, no volume, no deadline, no information about him or any agency, just a gmail... So, I answered:

"Sorry but your name does not ring a bell! In order to give an informed answer, it would be useful to know who you are… Kind regards"

Silence (so far)!

Could he be this one? https://www.odesk.com/o/jobs/job/_~01b78f815c000f40d1/
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:34
Chinese to English
+ ...
Got it Aug 12, 2014

I got the same email and I know exactly which book it is. I do not find it credible that a publisher that manages to buy publishing rights from Kadokawa will handle business so callously.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sounds either like a scam Aug 12, 2014

or a rank amateur who has heard he can make some quick, easy money by peddling translations. Either way, it's good you came here for advice first. I wouldn't touch such a dodgy offer with a 10-foot pole, no matter how tempting the subject matter.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
The replies are correct Aug 12, 2014

I agree with the replies that have been given so far. You were right to be suspicious when you read the first email from him to you. I would probably not send any reply to an email that gives no information about the inquirer other than their name and email address.
And, when he then replied "Actually I represent an agency and we are situated in Cheshire, UK", that is an even stronger suggestion of (most likely) an attempt at fraud or (very slight possibility) a very amateur and ignorant
... See more
I agree with the replies that have been given so far. You were right to be suspicious when you read the first email from him to you. I would probably not send any reply to an email that gives no information about the inquirer other than their name and email address.
And, when he then replied "Actually I represent an agency and we are situated in Cheshire, UK", that is an even stronger suggestion of (most likely) an attempt at fraud or (very slight possibility) a very amateur and ignorant approach to getting the book translated. I would consider such a reply (not naming the agency or giving its postal address or phone number) is a signal to have no further contact with him, or possibly to send a reply something like "Sorry, I am not available for this work."
It is an unfortunate consequence of the use of the Internet today that one's first reaction to any email should be "Is this genuine, should I believe it, is it an attempt to steal money or install malware?"
Oliver
Collapse

Carmen Swanwick-Roa
Carmen Swanwick-Roa  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Poor English Aug 12, 2014

"More you will know about us and the book after we see your translation and if chosen to work with us. "

His English seems to be a giveaway here. I'd expect someone with the name "Peter Longman" to write like a native, but his English sounds very foreign. Alarm bells!

seika
seika  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"For other translators" Aug 13, 2014

Thank you all. I'm glad I didn't go for it.
It would have done nothing but promoting insults against translators.
@Teresa: Thank you for the link. He wants a 500-page book translated in 10 days for 1,500 dollars??

Jonathan Golan
Jonathan Golan
Israel
Local time: 11:34
Member (2004)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Peter Longman strikes again Oct 29, 2014

Hi,

I was contacted by Peter Longman regarding a Hebrew project.

He gave the following information:

Longman Translations
11-12 Sankey Street, Warrington, Cheshire WA11TD
VAT GB922432613

His email had no signature and was a gmail address.
They have no online presence whatsoever.

I decided not to bite...

Beware!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Was this received through ProZ.com? Oct 29, 2014

Jonathan Golan wrote:

Hi,

I was contacted by Peter Longman regarding a Hebrew project.

He gave the following information:

Longman Translations
11-12 Sankey Street, Warrington, Cheshire WA11TD
VAT GB922432613

His email had no signature and was a gmail address.
They have no online presence whatsoever.

I decided not to bite...

Beware!

19–21 Sankey Street is a shop in Warrington, Cheshire, England - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19–21_Sankey_Street,_Warrington

VAT GB922432613 is invalid which can be checked at http://www.check-vat-number.com/

Jonathan, if this email has been received through ProZ.com, please submit a support request providing all available details.
Thank you,
Natalia

Alison Wedley
Alison Wedley
France
French to English
Peter Longman Nov 22, 2014

A bit late in offering my experience but this 'gentleman' contacted me via the Elance freelancing site. Being quite new I stupidly did a few tests for him, never to hear from him again. I realise now I was doing translations for free. He then contacted me again offering me a book to translate - I knew he was dodgy, his English for one was definately not native, so I started asking questions. I asked him for his company registration number - he gave me one, it was for a fabric company! And a... See more
A bit late in offering my experience but this 'gentleman' contacted me via the Elance freelancing site. Being quite new I stupidly did a few tests for him, never to hear from him again. I realise now I was doing translations for free. He then contacted me again offering me a book to translate - I knew he was dodgy, his English for one was definately not native, so I started asking questions. I asked him for his company registration number - he gave me one, it was for a fabric company! And a dissolved one at that. So I told him where to go, reported him, and he was banned from the site. Sad thing is, he will only re-invent himself all over again!

Hey ho. We live and learn.

Alison
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job Inquiry without Company Info.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »