Thread poster: Didier Devynck
Didier Devynck
Didier Devynck  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 12, 2014

I received an email today for a Rick Johnson(address [email protected]) that reads as follows:

found your details on (professional association), and i believe i would need your services, i have an article for publication to be translated
The document contain a word count of about 14096.
i just need to confirm you are available so we can work something out. please confirm the language pair you transla
... See more
I received an email today for a Rick Johnson(address [email protected]) that reads as follows:

found your details on (professional association), and i believe i would need your services, i have an article for publication to be translated
i just need to confirm you are available so we can work something out. please confirm the language pair you translate so i can be sure am talking to the right person.
thank you.

There is no signature, and I know my language pair is indicated on tyne website this person allegedly visited to get my information. This sounds very fishy to me. Has anyone else received a similar message?
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
SCAM Jul 12, 2014

Didier Devynck wrote:
Has anyone else received a similar message?

Yes, all the time. Just delete it.

Didier Devynck
Didier Devynck  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just as I thought Jul 12, 2014

Thank you Walter. I had already deleted it.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:13
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it sounds very fishy to me, too. Jul 12, 2014

Just Google the person's name and see what turns up, and go to this very important website to check as well:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm

It's always a good idea to come here for advice before accepting an unverifiable or dubious-sounding job. It's too bad many translators still seem to get caught in these frau
... See more
Just Google the person's name and see what turns up, and go to this very important website to check as well:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm

It's always a good idea to come here for advice before accepting an unverifiable or dubious-sounding job. It's too bad many translators still seem to get caught in these frauds' nets.

LinkedIn also has a group (perhaps several) where people report dodgy offers and poor payment practices. The advantage is that you can name names of agencies there, which is not allowed here.
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:13
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Jul 12, 2014

i just need to confirm you are available so we can work something out. please confirm the language pair you translate so i can be sure am talking to the right person.
thank you.

Don't you hate it when people can't seem to find the SHIFT key?

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yes. Jul 12, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:
Don't you hate it when people can't seem to find the SHIFT key?

It can drive me a little crazy when I sometimes end up correcting the mistakes mentally as I go along, which is a colossal waste of time!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
In need of a translator? Jul 13, 2014

Didier Devynck wrote:

thank you.

There is no signature, and I know my language pair is indicated on tyne website this person allegedly visited to get my information. This sounds very fishy to me. Has anyone else received a similar message?

Seems more like this person is in deir need of new glasses or lenses.

So he's found you on your professional association's site where your language pairs are listed. Perhaps you confirming them is required because the scammer doesn't trust such legitimate information.

Now if he only believes that he would need your services, he could possibly only be believing to have such an article. This raises the question who wrote said article. Surely not the scammer since he doesn't even know that "I" is in caps.

Times are indeed very difficult for these poor (:D) scammers because it's so difficult to trust official websites, associations and... educated translators nowadays. Sorry, but whenever I read something like this, sarcasm pops up.

AlesyaNazaro (X)
AlesyaNazaro (X)
United States
Local time: 22:13
Russian to English
+ ...
Rick Johnson Jul 13, 2014

I received the same email. I am new to the industry and almost got caught. Thanks for your post.

The Translator
The Translator
India
Local time: 07:43
English to Hindi
+ ...
I was saved, thanks to this discussion here Jul 13, 2014

Hello everyone,

Even I received the same email with exactly same word count of 14096 and 13046 words. After not seeing any contact details (other than email) of the sender I decided to google it and found this thread first. And decided to delete.

Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Amit

Antonio Bardawil
Antonio Bardawil  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you - article content Jul 15, 2014

Thank you all.

I have created a free account here to add that, without giving anything sensitive away, the article that was sent to me (of a supposed two articles) dealt with racism, if anyone needed any more confirmation than seeing this.

I have given this scammer 48 hours to identify himself with proper credentials prior to posting his name and email address to translator-scammers.com

I hope that sounds fair.

Yours,

Antoino

tatyfederal
tatyfederal
Brazil
Rick Johnson Jul 15, 2014

I also got the same email with a file about racism and he gave me a dead line to finish the translation, Today he replies saying: " All looks good to me, and i dont need a rush job. i need you to take your time in the translation and give me a good job.
I plan on mailing you a check for the job and i plan on paying you fully in advance.
email me your mailing address so i can put pen on paper and get this sorted out also if there is any contract or document to sign please have it emai
... See more
I also got the same email with a file about racism and he gave me a dead line to finish the translation, Today he replies saying: " All looks good to me, and i dont need a rush job. i need you to take your time in the translation and give me a good job.
I plan on mailing you a check for the job and i plan on paying you fully in advance.
email me your mailing address so i can put pen on paper and get this sorted out also if there is any contract or document to sign please have it emailed to me.

Rick.

Its All Good!

So It's a Scam!!!
Collapse

investigatrix
investigatrix
United States
another scam by the same Ghost client Aug 1, 2014

I received identical email form the same person two weeks ago:
Translator services needed

Good day to you,

I have an article for publication to be translated,
i believe i would need your services, can you confirm the language pair you translate just to be sure i have the right person.

Rick.

Next email
Thank you for getting back to me in time, i have two articles to translate, Am interested in Farsi into English translation
... See more
I received identical email form the same person two weeks ago:
Translator services needed

Good day to you,

I have an article for publication to be translated,
i believe i would need your services, can you confirm the language pair you translate just to be sure i have the right person.

Rick.

Next email
Thank you for getting back to me in time, i have two articles to translate, Am interested in Farsi into English translation.

The title of the document is "Racial Discrimination" i would email the documents once we are able to have an agreement,

the first contain 14096 words. while the second document contain 13409 words.

how much do you charge per word? i have it in mind to work on 15 cents per word but am open to negotiations.

the deadline for the document is 13th of august, will you be able to work this out with the time frame? if yes then get back to me with your quote and we could work out a deal.
Rick Johnson.

Then he sent the money and the check bounced. The fact was he sent me too much money and then said he made a mistake he only has one translation not two, so basically to return the second half back, which it never got that far because I stopped. I lost time and money.. Be aware of this person.
Collapse

investigatrix
investigatrix
United States
Exactly the same scam Aug 1, 2014

tatyfederal wrote:

email me your mailing address so i can put pen on paper and get this sorted out also if there is any contract or document to sign please have it emailed to me.

Rick.

Its All Good!

So It's a Scam!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rick Johnson Possible Scam

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »