Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2014

I am targeted by scammers and receive over 10 emails every day from supposed "translators" asking for work and sending me their CV.

It is the usual set-up: a CV with no contact details, a gmail/hotmail address and some form of cover letter.

I have begun reporting these to translator-scammers.com

May I suggest that anyone worried of identity theft removes their CV from sites such as Proz.com and Translatorscafe. I have stopped posting a CV, and instead write
... See more
I am targeted by scammers and receive over 10 emails every day from supposed "translators" asking for work and sending me their CV.

It is the usual set-up: a CV with no contact details, a gmail/hotmail address and some form of cover letter.

I have begun reporting these to translator-scammers.com

May I suggest that anyone worried of identity theft removes their CV from sites such as Proz.com and Translatorscafe. I have stopped posting a CV, and instead write "CV available on request". Any legitimate company wishing to use my services will contact me to request this information.

We need to work together to stop these scammers, and this is a simple method of prevention. I appreciate that many translators want to "get their CV out there", but there are other ways of doing so without having to post it on the internet.
Collapse

Iman Haggag

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:17
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not publicly Apr 17, 2014

Hi Wendy,

this identity theft problem has been around for some time now, and yes, it's annoying.

For months now I have my business brochures uploaded, but have also made them available only upon request. This keeps the spammers at bay.

My business brochures also have no contact details, but a note that these will be made available upon first job offer (no mass-mailing). Aside from these precautions (identity theft/scam prevention), my business brochures ar
... See more
Hi Wendy,

this identity theft problem has been around for some time now, and yes, it's annoying.

For months now I have my business brochures uploaded, but have also made them available only upon request. This keeps the spammers at bay.

My business brochures also have no contact details, but a note that these will be made available upon first job offer (no mass-mailing). Aside from these precautions (identity theft/scam prevention), my business brochures are password protected to disable copying and printing of them, let alone manipulating them in any way.

Be alert and stay safe.

Best regards and a Happy Easter.

Thayenga

[Edited at 2014-04-17 12:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-04-17 12:37 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:17
German to English
+ ...
Perhaps post a very short one Apr 17, 2014

After I was impersonated a few months ago, I edited the "web" version of my CV to contain very little information. It includes an email address as an image, not extractable text (and no postal address or phone number), and it begins:
(Note: this document is for publication on the World-Wide Web, and contains only a very limited amount of information. The full CV is available on request)

It contains very short sections:
Translation Experience
[about 50 words here]... See more
After I was impersonated a few months ago, I edited the "web" version of my CV to contain very little information. It includes an email address as an image, not extractable text (and no postal address or phone number), and it begins:
(Note: this document is for publication on the World-Wide Web, and contains only a very limited amount of information. The full CV is available on request)

It contains very short sections:
Translation Experience
[about 50 words here]
Qualifications and Education
[about 20 words here]

The shortest sections say nearly nothing, but indicate what kind of information is in the full CV, like this:

Employment history (reverse order)
(see the full CV)
Work Experience
(See the full CV).
Other relevant Skills
Yes, I have some! See the full CV

This was my compromise between posting no CV at all and posting one with enough information to enable somebody to claim my qualifications and experience.

Oliver
Collapse

Iman Haggag

Haifa Hafez
Haifa Hafez
Jordan
Local time: 13:17
Arabic to English
+ ...
I totally agree Apr 17, 2014

Thank you for this suggestion!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Don't post CVs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »