José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
How many votes for each? Nov 29, 2012

Drew, I didn't go into it yet (but I will), however I'd suggest that you put the number of votes under the stars on the opening page. If 500 users gave a specific software 4 stars, it is much more meaningful that 2 users giving another one 5 stars.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Number of votes listed in individual tool pages, not overview Nov 29, 2012

Thanks José

We do have the # of votes listed in individual tool pages like http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/sdl_trados_studio_2011_freelance/2 (3 votes)

However it looks like that aggregate # of votes detail i
... See more
Thanks José

We do have the # of votes listed in individual tool pages like http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/sdl_trados_studio_2011_freelance/2 (3 votes)

However it looks like that aggregate # of votes detail is not showing on the overview page http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool nor comparison pages like http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/compare/2-34/sdl_trados_studio_2011_freelance-to-SDL%20Trados%20Studio%202011%20-%20Starter%20Edition

I will request that those vote totals be displayed on all those pages, as I agree that, that is a useful piece of data when evaluating the overall rating.

Thanks!

Drew
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:26
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Agree with José Henrique Nov 29, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I'd suggest that you put the number of votes under the stars on the opening page.

Yes, that's the first thing I thought when I looked at it. Clicking on each tool does give you that information, but I agree that it's important to see the no. of votes on the first page.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 08:26
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The Order of Things Nov 30, 2012

It's a well-known fact that the order in which products are being presented influences the "click behaviour" of a (forum) user. Just ask MS when they were forced by the EU to present alternatives for IE.

How are you going to solve that problem, Drew?

Cheers,

Hans

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updates to the software comparison tool Dec 24, 2012

Good day everyone, I wanted to bring to your attention a few updates we have made recently to the software comparison tool section.

• The # of reviews has now been added to the overview page, sub category pages and where appropriate.
  • Individual reviews on CAT Tool pages are sorted by the review with the most # of "yes this was helpful" votes.
  • From within individual CAT tool pages users can now more easily "compare to" other/similar products
  • Community ... See more
  • Good day everyone, I wanted to bring to your attention a few updates we have made recently to the software comparison tool section.

• The # of reviews has now been added to the overview page, sub category pages and where appropriate.
  • Individual reviews on CAT Tool pages are sorted by the review with the most # of "yes this was helpful" votes.
  • From within individual CAT tool pages users can now more easily "compare to" other/similar products
  • Community users can now "Flag" a review - if users see a review that is inappropriate, violate site rules, or reviews that appear to be from individuals connected to the product/tool

• Regarding the display order on the main landing page - the default order is determined by a few factors including reviews, as well as those tools that are ProZ.com advertising clients. IMO, this is a perfectly reasonable approach given that it is through those advertising clients investment, that the software comparison product is possible. Our next round of development will give users the option to use a drop down list to sort tools based on specific variables such as "highest rated tool or most reviewed tool".

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Drew
    Collapse

Samuel Murray
    Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    English to Afrikaans
    + ...
    Please add GTT Dec 26, 2012

Hello Drew

Please add Google Translate Toolkit (GTT) under the "CAT tools" section. I'm not sure if anyone from Google would be willing to provide the initial information, so you're welcome to ask me to fill in the information about GTT.

Note that Google Translate Toolkit (the CAT tool) is not the same as Google Translate (the machine translation service).

Samuel

Drew MacFadyen
    United States
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    GTT added May 22, 2013

Hi Sam - I added GTT and tried to get as much info as I could from their blog post and online. I made you the "admin" for the listing at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/google_translator_tool_kit/119 and you can update/edit as you see fit.

Some of the attributes need to be added or hard coded by me before you're able to edit/
    ... See more
    Hi Sam - I added GTT and tried to get as much info as I could from their blog post and online. I made you the "admin" for the listing at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/google_translator_tool_kit/119 and you can update/edit as you see fit.

Some of the attributes need to be added or hard coded by me before you're able to edit/enter - e.g. Free Trial data. You can request those attribute changes here in this forum, or email me directly and I will add them for you to select.

Thanks Sam

Drew
    Collapse

Jacques DP
    Jacques DP  Identity Verified
    Switzerland
    English to French
    Date needed Nov 4, 2013

Hello,

Just seeing this feature. I think a date stamp for reviews would be needed. If someone says that Heartsome is great, it's not the same if they wrote it in 2005 or in 2013.

Alexandre Chetrite
    Alexandre Chetrite
    France
    English to French
    Links to support manual and tutorials Nov 4, 2013

Hi,

I don't see any links to support manuals and tutorials for Trados 2011 and other CAt tools?

Regards,

Drew MacFadyen
    United States
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Next round of development Jan 8, 2014

I know it has been a little while...apologies for the delay in getting to these suggestions/feedback.

Changes implemented.
    • I have grouped "Support & Upgrades" together to include general information on support/upgrades offered and a 2nd section to provide links to suppor... See more
    I know it has been a little while...apologies for the delay in getting to these suggestions/feedback.

Changes implemented.
    • I have grouped "Support & Upgrades" together to include general information on support/upgrades offered and a 2nd section to provide links to support and tutorials. You can see that at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/sdl_trados_studio_2011_freelance/2 (we will begin to add those links for all tools shortly). Sam - you had suggested breaking support in to categories "updates/minor bug fixes", "version upgrades", "Paid support" and "community support" - do you think that is still desired/preferred? I could keep the grouped heading as "Support and upgrades" and then break out the different sub-headings as you suggest - WDYT?
    • # of reviews visible on overview page

Development underway.
    • Add a field for "Date review entered" visible and sortable
    • Enable the capability for software companies to respond/reply to reviews. This is primarily to allow companies to reply when a new version is released and addresses a concern raised in a review
    • Fix sort algorithm bugs

If there are additional suggestions for improvement please let me know so that we can include them in this next round of development releases.

Regards,

Drew
    Collapse

Mustafa Fadhel
    Mustafa Fadhel
    Local time: 04:26
    Arabic to English
    + ...
    CAT tools comparing help Dec 17, 2014

I don’t know if this nice informative discussion still on? or, and yes we can see so many computer assisted translation (CAT) tools
    But if you please give us a simple comparison one
    As price-wise as some of us can’t afford that cost especially when translation rate is so low and some jobs we do is only $5 dollars and I can send you reference to that.
    Second a comparison on how friendly and easy this tool works as one don’t want to waste time or go for training.
    An
    ... See more
    I don’t know if this nice informative discussion still on? or, and yes we can see so many computer assisted translation (CAT) tools
    But if you please give us a simple comparison one
    As price-wise as some of us can’t afford that cost especially when translation rate is so low and some jobs we do is only $5 dollars and I can send you reference to that.
    Second a comparison on how friendly and easy this tool works as one don’t want to waste time or go for training.
    And third is how efficient this tool works and with which pair of languages, as some languages start with the “subject” on most sentences like English, but others stars with the “Verb”.

And my best regards to all.
    Collapse

cada1982
    cada1982  Identity Verified
    Venezuela
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Purchasing a CAT Tool Jun 19, 2015

Hi guys.

I am thinking about purchasing a CAT Tool.

Tested SDL Trados Studio 2014 and memoQ 2015.

And I need to be sincere: Have liked both so far, mostly inclined by memoQ side.

I always like to have a couple of software for each task. For example: I have Ms Project and also Primavera P6; Business Plan Pro 12 and Empreware; Sales and Marketing Pro and Zen Marketing for comparising some.

Despite what people do not like, I have te
    ... See more
    Hi guys.

I am thinking about purchasing a CAT Tool.

Tested SDL Trados Studio 2014 and memoQ 2015.

And I need to be sincere: Have liked both so far, mostly inclined by memoQ side.

I always like to have a couple of software for each task. For example: I have Ms Project and also Primavera P6; Business Plan Pro 12 and Empreware; Sales and Marketing Pro and Zen Marketing for comparising some.

Despite what people do not like, I have tested the new version of Across (6.0) and is way good to my expectations.

However, I have some issues regarding if purchasing memoQ 2015 or not:
    May I work using a TM from Trados?
    Is it worthy to spend money for a CAT Tool?

Maybe second question may depend on my use. And boy, a CAT Tool helps you a lot to optimize time, effort and professionalism.

Best Regards,
    Carlos Díaz
    Collapse

Michael Beijer
    Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 02:26
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    @Drew (can't review a CAT tool unless you have owned it?) Sep 10, 2015

Just noticed you can't review a CAT tool unless you have owned it. I don't think this is a good idea. At the very least, include a second category for people who have extensively tested a tool, but who may not own it or have done so the past.

Michael

Susan Welsh
    Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
    United States
    Russian to English
    + ...
    ordering of CAT tools in software comparison tool Sep 26, 2015

The ordering of the tools is very strange. If you order it by rating, the tool has 3 reviewers who gave it top rating, it appears at the top, even though another tool might have 15 reviewers who gave it various different ratings (I am making up the numbers, because if I go back to the relevant screen, this message will probably disappear and I will have to start over). If you order it by number of reviewers, a tool that has 15 reviewers who disliked it ranks above one that has 14 reviewers who l... See more
    The ordering of the tools is very strange. If you order it by rating, the tool has 3 reviewers who gave it top rating, it appears at the top, even though another tool might have 15 reviewers who gave it various different ratings (I am making up the numbers, because if I go back to the relevant screen, this message will probably disappear and I will have to start over). If you order it by number of reviewers, a tool that has 15 reviewers who disliked it ranks above one that has 14 reviewers who liked it. And who knows what the "default" is based on. I find there tools that have fewer reviewers AND lower rankings than other tools that require you to move on to the "second tier" of tools.

All of this seems incompetent from any statistical ranking standpoint.
    Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New service: translator software comparison tool

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »