Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:11
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 15, 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Many of us have blank lines on our standardized profiles that don't work in our favour.

In my case, 'Credentials N/A' is not a good marketing line, and I would like to make it invisible to visitors, but the site staff informs me that this particular feature cannot be toggled.

I can't understand the reason, and do feel that we should be able to decide what information we publish on our profile.

Thank you for your input.
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

Many of us have blank lines on our standardized profiles that don't work in our favour.

In my case, 'Credentials N/A' is not a good marketing line, and I would like to make it invisible to visitors, but the site staff informs me that this particular feature cannot be toggled.

I can't understand the reason, and do feel that we should be able to decide what information we publish on our profile.

Thank you for your input.
Bea

[Edited at 2017-01-15 00:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-15 01:14 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Valid point, IMO Jan 15, 2017

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:

It sounds a totally reasonable request to me. Our profiles should be 100% positive.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Feature available since a long time Jan 16, 2017

Hi Beatriz,

This feature has been available since a long time: there is a small double arrow in your profile page near each item listed; clicking this arrow does exactly what you want, i.e toggles the visibility of this or that item.

Also there are more options for certain features. For example, in the personalization page
... See more
Hi Beatriz,

This feature has been available since a long time: there is a small double arrow in your profile page near each item listed; clicking this arrow does exactly what you want, i.e toggles the visibility of this or that item.

Also there are more options for certain features. For example, in the personalization page )in your case this is https://www.proz.com/settings/freelancer/personalization?eid_s=669496 ), you can choose from several options in "Show CV link to:", etc.

HTH,
Natalia

[Edited at 2017-01-16 10:42 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Not for each item... Jan 16, 2017

Natalie wrote:

AFAIK, that is only available for some items... and not for the one mentioned by Beatriz, for instance (nor for "user message", "account type", "data security", "services", "credentials", "memberships", "software", etc.)

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some items seem fixed Jan 16, 2017

Natalie wrote:

Hi Natalie,

Some items have the toggle option, but others have no arrow. I asked the support staff, and they confirmed that the visibility of that line cannot be toggled.
Just to make sure, could you please try to toggle off the credentials line on your standardized profile?

Many thanks
Bea

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Not those lines, but ... Jan 16, 2017

Ah, I can't toggle off those lines either, but I did discover some useful options - showing my (cute) ProZ Certified PRO document was off, showing my forums blabberings was on, both probably by default as I hadn't touched them, and the defaults were not what I wanted. So while we wait for those other important lines to become changeable, let's at least make the best of what we have!

[Edited at 2017-01-16 11:47 GMT]

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Jan 16, 2017

Hi Ricki,
I agree, we can make the best of some features, but we should be able to eliminate anything that could be interpreted as negative to our image.
Cheers
Bea

[Edited at 2017-01-16 15:10 GMT]

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Bea, I totally agree with you! Jan 16, 2017

I just wanted to say that through this thread, I have discovered both what I can do and what I can't do, and it also irks me that I can't hide those "N/A" lines!

IMHO credentials and memberships aren't even as important (or as common) for IT translators like myself as e.g. for legal or financial translators. So there is certainly no need to push this more or less irrelevant lack in the faces of my profile visitors!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Toggle blank lines on public profiles

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »