Spain
Local time: 13:40
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think not caring is sad Aug 26, 2016

Regi2006 wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
In fact it would soon become totally obscure, resulting in all sorts of claims of unfair treatment, corruption and partisanship.

Why should we care? Life goes on. That's a normal part of life. After some time, it would get sort out, if not, we'll find another way or back to the original. Just like we don't care about the new members struggling all their life just to get there. That's life.

I care about all members here who are struggling to help themselves rather than just looking for a free ride. In fact, as far as I'm concerned that applies to anybody, anywhere. You just have to be pragmatic enough to accept that you can't help all of the people all of the time, and I personally won't help freeloaders. Simply not caring - just looking after N°1 - would make for a very shallow existence.

On the other hand, I don't see why I should devalue my own efforts and contributions just to please the younger generation. They have an awful lot of advantages over me that they can bring to bear (IT-fluency more or less from birth being a major one). And after all, they'll hopefully be around long after I'm gone from the professional stage. And no, we can't pass on our KudoZ points to our kids (should they have any interest in them). That would be well against ProZ.com rules and I for one would report anyone I suspected of doing it.

Taking account of disagrees would put them out of the running altogether, and have little effect on the totals of those of us who rarely collect disagrees. If staff would like to consider that proposal, that would be great in my book.

That's what I referred to as 'buddy system'. It might be not an appropriate term, but you got the idea.

Oh, I see. In that case we agree.

Regi2006
Regi2006  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:40
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Old generation vs Young generation Aug 26, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
On the other hand, I don't see why I should devalue my own efforts and contributions just to please the younger generation. They have an awful lot of advantages over me that they can bring to bear (IT-fluency more or less from birth being a major one). And after all, they'll hopefully be around long after I'm gone from the professional stage. And no, we can't pass on our KudoZ points to our kids (should they have any interest in them). That would be well against ProZ.com rules and I for one would report anyone I suspected of doing it.

Thanks. I see your point when it comes to old generation vs. young generation.

But what if those people are just unlucky enough to find ProZ when they are already in their 40's or 50's? And they don't really have this IT-fluency where they can jump in seconds with their answers as soon as the KudoZ questions appear in their inbox?

Verdi

[Edited at 2016-08-26 16:24 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:40
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Us oldies aren't all total no-hopers, you know ;) Aug 26, 2016

Regi2006 wrote:
But what if those people are just unlucky enough to find ProZ when they are already in their 40's or 50's? And they don't really have this IT-fluency where they can jump in seconds with their answers as soon as the KudoZ questions appear in their inbox?

I didn't find ProZ.com until I was 52, and I'm doing very nicely out of the site even though I barely know a chip from a bus.

Regi2006
Indonesia
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Aug 26, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Regi2006 wrote:

I didn't find ProZ.com until I was 52, and I'm doing very nicely out of the site even though I barely know a chip from a bus.

Wow ... That's cool

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:40
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
About "IT fluency" Aug 27, 2016

Regi2006 wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Thanks. I see your point when it comes to old generation vs. young generation.

Verdi

[Edited at 2016-08-26 16:24 GMT]

I didn't see any association between IT fluency and "jumping in seconds with their answers as soon as the KudoZ questions appear in their inbox" in Sheila's post.

Regi2006
Indonesia
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@jyuan_us Aug 27, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:
I didn't see any association between IT fluency and "jumping in seconds with their answers as soon as the KudoZ questions appear in their inbox" in Sheila's post.

Those who have a really neat IT setup and see KudoZ points as a way to gain clients find it easy to come up with an answer in just seconds.
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/305705-improvement_of_the_translator_directory_search_results-page6.html#2583460

[Edited at 2016-08-27 02:34 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:40
English to Italian
I see that all the time... Aug 29, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

The idea of taking disagrees into account is in no way a new one. It has been proposed several times. I really think it would be easy to implement - on its own, not in combination with the 1001 other 'remedies' suggested in this thread. And I personally think it would be a great improvement. Those who have a really neat IT setup and see KudoZ points as a way to gain clients find it easy to come up with an answer in just seconds. They probably press one button and get instant returns from dictionaries, encyclopaedias, MT programs, corpora etc. Another second later it's up there as the first answer, albeit it with an explanation of "-" as they don't really have one. A certain number of their worthless, out-of-context answers will get points simply for being there first. Disagrees may well come in after the stressed-out asker has made up their mind and gone on to other things. Taking account of disagrees would put them out of the running altogether, and have little effect on the totals of those of us who rarely collect disagrees.

If staff would like to consider that proposal, that would be great in my book.

When answering a KudoZ question, I usually try to come up with an explanation, example sentences, external references to support my proposal (if possible), and/or discuss possible issues arising from the lack of context, different usages, etc. As you can imagine, by the time I did all of that, there almost invariably are one or more other replies out there, some of which with a high confidence level (even if the asker provided no context and the term/expression can have several meanings...) and an amazingly well thought out explanation of "." (or similar "placeholder"), and sometimes with a number of different terms/expressions provided in the suggested answer (kind of a "buckshot-answer").

I believe such behaviours strongly detract from the KudoZ reliability, fairness and usefulness, not only for what concerns the glossary building part, but obviously also for what concerns directory placement, as discussed here.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that nothing can be done to improve the system (also on both the asker and the answerer sides of things).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improvement of the translator directory search results

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »