Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
No Identity, No Profile
Thread poster: Henry Hinds
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@writeaway: Sep 25, 2014

writeaway wrote:

I'd like to add that my dog is far smarter and definitely more honest than many with allegedly upfront profile pages.

[Edited at 2014-09-25 09:46 GMT]

And I'd like to add that my dog is far dumber and definitely less honest than many with allegedly upfront profile pages.

Melville

There is a very good reason why I don't let him post here on Proz.

Michael

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:25
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What is it really about Sep 25, 2014

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

Dear Henry,

I have had these thoughts as well and what mostly intrigues me is why? If one wants to succeed in a career why play with names, pseudos which you clearly mentioned as '(some of which are quite infantile or silly)'. I do not see people in the market - engineers, teachers, architects, doctors, truck drivers, web designers, etc - using pseudonyms when applying for jobs.

We've got some funny, silly names, and this applies for non-paying and paying members. Yesterday one of my colleagues reported a situation.
He receive a job proposal and in 5 minutes the company replied his email, confirming he had accepted the offer, but he had not, then he checked and it was a scammer using his name with a fake email address.

So precaution is a thing here.

Proz does everything to control the flow, but it's a world full of all kinds of minds.

Again, and I am sure subject is being changed into something else, but not the aim of this FORUM.

Would anyone in the physical world looking for a job use a mask, a code name and apply for that job? Would that person be recruited? Are these Proz "disguised members"reflecting the real world professional practice? And when I mean 'real world' it is related to cyber and physical spaces. What I say is based on reality. Or I might put on my wonderwoman costume?

Would you hire wonderwoman for a long translation project?

Good luck...

[Edited at 2014-09-25 12:21 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:25
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Don´t forget the moonlighters... Sep 25, 2014

...who do not want to be stalked by their tax authorities, so they can continue offering ridiculous prices.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
@Paulinho Fonseca Sep 25, 2014

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

Again, and I am sure subject is being changed into something else, but not the aim of this FORUM.

Would anyone in the physical world looking for a job use a mask, a code name and apply for that job? Would that person be recruited? Are these Proz "disguised members"reflecting the real world professional practice? And when I mean 'real world' it is related to cyber and physical spaces. What I say is based on reality. Or I might put on my wonderwoman costume?

The internet is absolutely NOT equivalent to the physical world, and the rules are not the same. How can you even suggest such a thing? In addition, you are obviously not a woman that has ever been confronted with unwanted attention and have no idea what that means or how it feels. Did you even read the posts addressing that problem in this thread? You are very sure of your opinion and that you are right, but as I have already said upthread, I'm just as sure that more will disagree with you than agree.

In regard to jobs, I have never had a lack of job offers because of my anonymity, and many who approach me through Proz have said they read my profile. It is a problem for YOU, and perhaps a few others, but no one else. Of course, you would be free to do as you pleased if you happened to be an outsourcer and not hire translators that use pseudonyms, but don't assume that others will limit their prospective pool of qualified professionals because they have an issue with anonymity. Thank goodness the agencies or potential clients I've ever dealt with here are more interested in the quality of my work than the name I use on Proz.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
courtesy Sep 25, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Woodstock wrote:
What I find annoying is narrow-minded people who pass judgment on others for rather irrelevant or completely immaterial things like what name they use on a website. I'm pretty sure most people on this site don't really care one way or the other and the owner certainly doesn't, so why do you? Mind your own business, and I'll mind mine.

What you (whoever you are) find ‘irrelevant or completely immaterial’, I find quite important, and I don't think it is narrow-minded to expect people to take off their clown mask and stage name when they're talking to me. It's just common courtesy.

Michael

So we have to risk being stalked for the sake of courtesy?

Could you explain how my name and gender might be relevant to discussions here?

I may be "talking" to you, and I am making an effort to remain courteous as I do so, but this is a public forum and what we say to each other can be found and used by absolutely anyone including my perverted former boss and my sleazy neighbour. Mere googling will bring up all sorts of threads from here, even from years back.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
hire Wonderwoman? no need! Sep 25, 2014

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

Good luck...

Don't know if you've been paying attention, but those of us on this thread who use a pseudonym have all said we don't use this website to look for work.

And even if we did, don't you think that you, as a person with an "up-front" profile, will stand a better chance of getting the job than someone who uses a comic strip character as an avatar? So why would it bother you?

BTW I earn my living, am raising several children, do a considerable amount of volunteer work, take full responsibility for the housework, and make sure of getting an hour's exercise every day, I reckon I AM Wonderwoman .

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:25
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am not aiming A, B or C here. Sep 25, 2014

Woodstock wrote:

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

The internet is absolutely NOT equivalent to the physical world, and the rules are not the same. How can you even suggest such a thing? In addition, you are obviously not a woman that has ever been confronted with unwanted attention and have no idea what that means or how it feels. Did you even read the posts addressing that problem in this thread? You are very sure of your opinion and that you are right, but as I have already said upthread, I'm just as sure that more will disagree with you than agree.

In regard to jobs, I have never had a lack of job offers because of my anonymity, and many who approach me through Proz have said they read my profile. It is a problem for YOU, and perhaps a few others, but no one else. Of course, you would be free to do as you pleased if you happened to be an outsourcer and not hire translators that use pseudonyms, but don't assume that others will limit their prospective pool of qualified professionals because they have an issue with anonymity. Thank goodness the agencies or potential clients I've ever dealt with here are more interested in the quality of my work than the name I use on Proz.

And as long as we think the cyber world is different from physical world, we will be opening doors to many issues.
Actually, I have read all threads and to be honest, this is not going anywhere. Everyone has her/his own perception. I wish you all good luck and don't get it personal. It's just a professional issue being addressed.

Woodstock (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
@Michael Beijer Sep 25, 2014

My sense of security and right to feel safe are more important to me than your opinion or what you call "common courtesy". In fact, so many highly qualified language professionals on Proz use pseudonyms, it's surprising that you post here at all if real names are so important to you. In any event, it is the owner's decision whether or not to allow people to use pseudonyms. If you use this website, you have to accept and conform to his rules. By the way, do you know of any other professional tran... See more
My sense of security and right to feel safe are more important to me than your opinion or what you call "common courtesy". In fact, so many highly qualified language professionals on Proz use pseudonyms, it's surprising that you post here at all if real names are so important to you. In any event, it is the owner's decision whether or not to allow people to use pseudonyms. If you use this website, you have to accept and conform to his rules. By the way, do you know of any other professional translators' boards that requires use of real names? I don't.

PS. I'm pretty sure your reply to writeaway is the kind of comment the Proz admins will not allow, as it's purely personal and irrelevant to the topic under discussion.

Edited to conform to site rules, so the comment I was responding to here is no longer visible.

[Edited at 2014-09-25 20:15 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Woodstock: Sep 25, 2014

Don't worry about writeaway, we go way back. He/she has been pestering me for years, and we seem to have reached a comfortable status quo where we insult each other, jokingly, and no one gets hurt. Everything I say to him/her is purely personal and irrelevant

I have no objections whatsoever to you using a pseudonym if it helps you keep your stalker at bay. By all means, call yourself ‘Woodstock’. All I am trying t
... See more
Don't worry about writeaway, we go way back. He/she has been pestering me for years, and we seem to have reached a comfortable status quo where we insult each other, jokingly, and no one gets hurt. Everything I say to him/her is purely personal and irrelevant

I have no objections whatsoever to you using a pseudonym if it helps you keep your stalker at bay. By all means, call yourself ‘Woodstock’. All I am trying to say is that some people, myself included, find it a little annoying to never know how to refer to a person we communicate with almost every other day in the KudoZ area. All I'm asking is that we are at least given enough info so we can address people as a ‘he’ or a ‘she’. Is that so much to ask?

Michael

[Edited at 2014-09-25 13:50 GMT]

PS: In reply to your question ‘By the way, do you know of any other professional translators' boards that requires use of real names? I don't.’ : Stridonium.

‘4. Members will use their real names at all times, and agree to represent themselves accurately. Any misrepresentation may lead the management of Stridonium, at its discretion, to cancel your use of the site.’ (https://www.stridonium.com/membershipconditions.aspx )

[Edited at 2014-09-25 13:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-25 13:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-25 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Profile removed.
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Huh???? Sep 25, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

I have no objections whatsoever to you using a pseudonym if it helps you keep your stalker at bay. By all means, call yourself ‘Woodstock’. All I am trying to say is that some people, myself included, find it a little annoying to never know how to address a person we communicate with almost every other day in the KudoZ area. All I'm asking is that we are at least given enough info so we can address people as a ‘he’ or a ‘she’. Is that so much to ask?

Michael

News to me. Whatever. Totally off topic in any case. Have to help my dog with a tricky phrase....

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Profile removed.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Woodstock (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Using real names on one translator board out of how many? Sep 25, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

‘4. Members will use their real names at all times, and agree to represent themselves accurately. Any misrepresentation may lead the management of [the website you name], at its discretion, to cancel your use of the site.’

One out of how many? In addition, there is this:

"At [the website you name] we value privacy. Members may choose to keep their membership completely private or opt in to a publicly displayed list. The members shown on this page have chosen to make their membership public." That is quite a different thing from what Henry Hinds proposed in his opening post. If Proz could provide that kind of privacy, then I would consider using my real name, but Proz doesn't.

PS. You are not allowed to discuss competing sites here at Proz. That comment will likely be removed.

[Edited at 2014-09-25 20:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Identity, No Profile

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »